Dungeon Saga painted (Mantic)

Skrill

Wow.. great work all in all! Thumbs up!

What about the game tho.. since it inspires you to paint all them minis, it must be good.. right?

Still haven't had the chance to try out the game... Maybe @Zink can give you some info about it since he played an evening.

From my read through of the rules, the quest book and watching some intro video (before I got the game), it seems easy enough to pick up and mechanics are straight forward so that I can play with my kids. And the whole quest is pre-defined in the quest book with lots of fluff and pre-determined level up... So once again focused on ease.

If you are into more hardcore role playing and building your own hero and dungeon, there is an adventure companion explaining all the advanced rules and templates to do that.

But i have to try all this for myself...

• Like 1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Soft plastic?  Say, like Zombicide plastic?

I don't have zombicide (I know I should have), so I can't compare.

It is not as soft as Bones, but it is softer and more bending prone than "hard plastic" you'd find on wargames sprues (like GW for ex).

I'd say that those coloured platics are more like Monopoly figure types.

But hey, it does work and paints well... So I'm cool with it.

Yeah, it's a bit hard to describe the material. Not as rubbery as most Bones but still somewhat flexible. I haven't tried painting any yet but will soon.

About gameplay... Me and my two boys have played about half of the missions in the basic game. My oldest, 12 years old, was a Heroquest fanatic a couple of years ago. We played it so much I was sick of it because it's a little too simple. So he's taken to Dungeon Saga like crazy. He'd play all day, every day if he could. The rules are fairly straight forward but we still made lots of beginner's errors. After 6 missions I think we're past that now. We're just playing with the standard characters and whatever ugrades they have in the mission set up. So no choices about skills or what items they have. Missions seem to be pretty balanced. Me and #2 son are the heroes winning most of the time against evil #1 son but the games are often close. I'm a bit sneakier than the kids and have gotten lucky with some wins on the last turn. So far it's been enjoyable for everyone.

Once we finish the first campaign I want to try more of the optional rules from the Adventurer's Companion. The book is a mess for editting and the spine split the second time I opened it so I'm not a fan of the current one. But they did release a corrected pdf file so at least I have the information I want. I bought the 3 expansions as well. Also have rules in the Dungeon Journal for doing Dwarf King's Hold games (more skirmish style battles, not heroes versus monsters)and I bought some extra dwarves and undead for that. I mean I only had a couple hundred dwarves and skellies before so I couldn't have subbed them in :;): Loving the Mantic undead minis. I can't really say yet how good it will be using all the expanded rules but I'm pretty hopeful. When I backed the kickstarter I figured that even if the rules sucked at least I was getting lots of interesting minis and map tiles. Luckily the rules don't suck. Maybe not exactly right for everyone but worth trying if you want a dungeon crawl.

• Like 2

The games go fairly quickly most of the time so we get a couple in every evening we can play. It'll slow down once we start using the downtime rules to customise the heroes. More thinking and fiddling around between missions. Right now it's only taking us about 10 minutes to setup the table and maybe 30 minutes to play.

• Like 1