Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Redecorating my Office

Use foamcore and make the inside of the office look like castle walls.

Some room for gargoyles and torches.

The occasional skull and such.

And a Dungeon door!

Some ideas can be found here.

http://themerooms.blogspot.nl/2012/06/medieval-knights-dragons-decorating.html?m=1

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 4

Double up your bookcases with a sliding bookcase:

sliding-book-shelves-living-room-design.

Save more room for the epic mural Talin is going to paint for you... Though, I'd rather have a Sistine chapel style ceiling, only with Sophie ^_^

ETA: A good hat rack is essential:

mt_BRVXlcQG2193NjNE2NPw.jpg

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 7

Yes to the hatrack.

Can the hatrack be a group of Tardis flying in formation? Or maybe hat hoops held by skeletal hands...

The Hat needs a very special place.

• Like 5

A (likely impractical) thought: Make the door to your office into a bookcase! http://www.amazon.com/Murphy-Door-FM-HINGEKIT-Hidden-System/dp/B00BHON2XU(There are other hinge options, and I'm pretty sure I found some much better ones at one point - that one's just for demonstration.)

Another idea: Put slatwall on one wall of your office. Paint the front parts to look like rows of stone blocks, with the gaps being mortar lines between the blocks of stone. ::): To emphasise the stone look, you could make sure you get the kind that's just made out of MDF, use a rotary tool to lightly etch in a series of rough vertical mortar lines... It'd help the light reflect off those bits more convincingly. You'd only want to etch it in a tiny bit or you'd be weakening the panel, but all you need is enough to break up the plane of the surface. Similarly, if you wanted the surface of the "stones" to look more rough, you could probably glue something thin in place (e.g. DM Scotty's toilet paper trick), just enough to break up the flat plane of the wall. Another option might be to look for a rough textured paint... or even a few bottles of white glue and some fine sand. ::):  I'd probably put some sort of low storage thing at the base of the wall (something with a dark wood stain would go with the idea of the stone wall) and only start the slatwall / stone above that. Then you'd have storage at the base, a flat display surface to put some things on, and plenty of wall space you could use for display space that'd be easy to rearrange over time. Alternatively, you could put your desk up against that wall... The bottom 4 feet or so would be purely decorative at that point, but you'd have a few feet of display space above and around your monitors still available...

For the standing desk - probably already in the cards, but I'd highly recommend one with a motor and a couple presets so you can sit if you need to, stand when you want to, and have an easy transition between the two. 

Also: Is this a home office? Or your work office? Given your multitude of hobbies, I'd imagine that your home office would have significantly more intense storage requirements... ::): But your work office probably requires a lot more electronic devices out and available. Assuming it's your work office (seems to be the assumption a few people have made), do you want to try to hide / disguise the electronics, as long as their use remains practical? (e.g. you wouldn't want to have to lift the printer out of a cabinet every time you wanted to use it.)

And an obvious question: Are you going for any particular theme in your office? E.g. do you want a roughly medieval look? (Which is what I've been trending towards.) Do you want a sleek, modern sort of office? Something futuristic? Post-apocalyptic? Want a fairly pub-like atmosphere? (I've been told a group at Pixar did their space this way and it's magnificent.) Maybe a lush, natural-feeling space that just happens to have computers etc in it?

• Like 5

now if money was no object, your office should be decorated like this billy bob thorton's house when he was a guest on big bang theory.

can't C&P right now.

• Like 1

I like these ideas.

How many open walls do you have for murals? How 'bout the ceiling? Door?

Technically I will be moving everything out of my office for it to be completely re-floored and repainted. I have one window, one door, one floor, one ceiling, and 4 walls. So I can put a mural anywhere.

You should also paint a railroad tunnel, like Looney Tunes.  Or a fake door.  And see how many people crash into it.

This is the best mural idea so far!!!  :wub:

Just out of curiosity, what are the dimensions and layout (locations of doors and windows) of your office?

Roughly 10x14

We will start on the Northern wall, west corner.

Door, then ~9 feet of wall. East wall, 10', South wall, 3' of wall then 4' wide by 2.5 foot tall picture window overlooking the factory floor, 3' wall, west wall, 10' of wall. 9' ceilings. 

A (likely impractical) thought: Make the door to your office into a bookcase! http://www.amazon.com/Murphy-Door-FM-HINGEKIT-Hidden-System/dp/B00BHON2XU(There are other hinge options, and I'm pretty sure I found some much better ones at one point - that one's just for demonstration.)

Another idea: Put slatwall on one wall of your office. Paint the front parts to look like rows of stone blocks, with the gaps being mortar lines between the blocks of stone. ::): To emphasise the stone look, you could make sure you get the kind that's just made out of MDF, use a rotary tool to lightly etch in a series of rough vertical mortar lines... It'd help the light reflect off those bits more convincingly. You'd only want to etch it in a tiny bit or you'd be weakening the panel, but all you need is enough to break up the plane of the surface. Similarly, if you wanted the surface of the "stones" to look more rough, you could probably glue something thin in place (e.g. DM Scotty's toilet paper trick), just enough to break up the flat plane of the wall. Another option might be to look for a rough textured paint... or even a few bottles of white glue and some fine sand. ::):  I'd probably put some sort of low storage thing at the base of the wall (something with a dark wood stain would go with the idea of the stone wall) and only start the slatwall / stone above that. Then you'd have storage at the base, a flat display surface to put some things on, and plenty of wall space you could use for display space that'd be easy to rearrange over time. Alternatively, you could put your desk up against that wall... The bottom 4 feet or so would be purely decorative at that point, but you'd have a few feet of display space above and around your monitors still available...

For the standing desk - probably already in the cards, but I'd highly recommend one with a motor and a couple presets so you can sit if you need to, stand when you want to, and have an easy transition between the two. 

Also: Is this a home office? Or your work office? Given your multitude of hobbies, I'd imagine that your home office would have significantly more intense storage requirements... ::): But your work office probably requires a lot more electronic devices out and available. Assuming it's your work office (seems to be the assumption a few people have made), do you want to try to hide / disguise the electronics, as long as their use remains practical? (e.g. you wouldn't want to have to lift the printer out of a cabinet every time you wanted to use it.)

And an obvious question: Are you going for any particular theme in your office? E.g. do you want a roughly medieval look? (Which is what I've been trending towards.) Do you want a sleek, modern sort of office? Something futuristic? Post-apocalyptic? Want a fairly pub-like atmosphere? (I've been told a group at Pixar did their space this way and it's magnificent.) Maybe a lush, natural-feeling space that just happens to have computers etc in it?

Work office. At home I already know how I'm going to redecorate.

As for theme.. that's kind of why this thread exists. I really want to see what the forums think the Bryanest Office in the World would look like.

As for theme.. that's kind of why this thread exists. I really want to see what the forums think the Bryanest Office in the World would look like.

The Bryanest office in the world would definitely have some of your handbound books on display.
  • Like 7

The Bryanest office in the world would definitely have some of your handbound books on display.
Now there is an idea:

A bookstand ===>> http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/Book%20stand <<=== have your favorite of these recreated at about 10x or 12x size. (Dream big if we are dreaming...)

This design is rather Bryumphant.

http://bookstandworld.net/Resources/index2.jpeg

And from an era before Bryumphancy was a thing.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 5

I am currently in possession of only 1 of my handbound books. The first one I ever made, I'm a little embarrassed by it, actually. One of the signatures is backwards (like, i folded the pages together in the wrong order because I got careless), the cuts are sloppy, the stitching is poor, and the cover is slightly too small (it's a super tight fit to try to shut the book). I learned a LOT from it, to the point where the book I finished last night the only problem I have with it is that I got some of the glue on the cover material and cannot get it off, so it's a brand-new book that's already got a stain on the suede.

VtMbook1.jpg

I love all of these ideas!! :wub: Especially the mini constellation ceiling and the group paint for the walls.

It's not the same high fantasy that a lot of the other ideas are, but I thought this computer setup was way cool - https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/3hq8ox/i_built_a_fullyfunctional_overhead_control_panel So scifi looking! 

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 6

Ooohh the books are so cool!

Constellation ceiling needs a space kraken up there

i like the vent with a buglips idea

lots of forum-inside joke easter eggs!

• Like 6