Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

Redecorating my Office

Work office. At home I already know how I'm going to redecorate.

As for theme.. that's kind of why this thread exists. I really want to see what the forums think the Bryanest Office in the World would look like.

OK, when you put it that way...

The Bryanest Office in the World would have (something that at least looks like) a real workbench. Maybe a small one, but still. Underneath the workbench would be storage for an array of tools and/or supplies for various hobbies. You might also have a tool chest hanging on the wall above the workbench - if you have the time and money to spare, build your own version of the Studley Tool Chest. The tool selection would, of course, be appropriate for your interests, rather than just being a random bunch of things - it'd be a very functional space. I'm guessing you'd have enough space to lay out a good-sized book-in-progress, plus all the additional tools and supplies.

(I realise you probably don't do a lot of other-hobby things at your work office, but still - we're talking about the Bryanest Office in the World.)

I'm thinking that overall decor would look like a late-1800s cratsman's workspace, but updated with some modern conveniences like good lighting, computers, etc. Nothing rustic or archaic, but the things that aren't new are definitely things that have stood the test of time and are in good condition. On the other hand, the things that are new are probably unabashedly so - your standing desk is never going to look like a period piece, but the Bryanest Office in the World would never be purely modern (in my mind) so why not go with that eclectic mix? And just as I wouldn't put any truly rustic or archaic things in there, I also wouldn't put anything that's trying to scream "LOOK AT ME I'M SO MODERN," so I wouldn't have any shiny white plastic stuff, for example.

OK, it's hard to tell what orientation your office has from the description you gave... The measurements don't quite line up. ::P: I'm assuming it's longer east/west than north/south.

The west wall, from the south corner up to as far north as it can go without interfering with the door, becomes floor-to-ceiling storage. I'd imagine wood (as opposed to white melamine) but mostly something light. On the other hand, if you could get the whole thing done in mesquite - but fairly polished mesquite, again not trying to look rustic - that'd be flippin' amazing. Darker, but not as dark as like an old-world stained oak or something, and oh-so-gorgeous. Plus I suspect the inherent self-contrast in finely-finished mesquite would suit you. But yeah, failing that, I think something like a maple with a hand-rubbed oil finish as opposed to like a shellac or something else that forms a real film. Probably in the middle of that wall I'd have a largish opening with under-cabinet lighting and a few things on display.

Moving on to the north wall - open, or at most, shallow storage and display. This might be a good place to do a wall that doesn't look like a typical office or whatever - something like the slatwall idea, or maybe a thin brick veneer or something - ideally partially covered with plaster that's cracked off in big chunks. Like the wall of an old factory, but fixed up and made into like trendy condos, that sort of thing. Bringing in the idea of old contrasting with new again. Towards the east side, I'd find a place to put that buglips/vent thing, just because it's hilarious. :lol: 

East wall - computer station. All your gadgets and things go here. I don't know what all you need to have (I suspect a fair bit of stuff) so I'm having a hard time imagining what I'd do with it... Definitely photos, artwork, and some handmade book that you make for yourself and keep, you're allowed to have nice things too you know ::P: on display on the wall around & above the monitors. I'd also want to compress the computer gear as much as possible so you'd have space on either side, or at least at the north side, for some kind of standing display. The first thing that pops into my head would be a suit of armour but I suspect a sword rack or something similar would work better.

South wall - depending on how high up the window starts, I'd either put some shallow storage (e.g. a filing cabinet that's laid out left-to-right rather than front-to-back, if you know what I mean) under the window or leave it empty. 

Middle of the room - this is where I'd put the workbench. It'd have to be smaller than a traditional woodworking bench, but that's fine because you're not using it for woodworking. ::): It'd be a good-sized open surface to lay things out, work on projects, etc. And more storage underneath. On one side I'd leave a bit of space so you could tuck an extra task chair or a stool or two out of the road. Gives seating for visitors (which I assume is important) but the rest of the time the extra seating isn't wasting floor space.

Attached to the ceiling near the west wall, in front of the cabinets, would be a projection screen you could roll down at need. You'd have a projector mounted to the ceiling aimed in that direction, with one input tied to your computer and another that'd somehow be available at your work desk so someone could plunk a laptop down and hook up to the projector. If the ceiling is drop tile, I'd probably do something silly and whimsical, like stick glow-in-the-dark star stickers all over the ceiling, maybe in some recreation of actual constellations or something. If it's a drywall ceiling (which seems unlikely) I'd be thinking about doing something different up there, like making it look like an old-school workshop's rafters or something.

So... net result: A ton of display space, a nice mixture of furniture, a good computer work area, a fairly wide-open feeling (if done right), with a ton of open work surface for projects that require it. Plus the ability to have a few people in your office working together either on a physical thing (looking at posters or models or whatever on your work surface) or on some computer thing (using the projection screen).

Seems like it'd give a good amount of space for some silliness, some artwork, etc, but still leave it as a very functional space overall. I can't imagine you'd tolerate an office space that's not very functional, but at the same time I don't think the Bryanest Office in the World could work without plenty of room for decorative and whimsical elements. ::): 

Anyway. That's my take right now on what I'd do for your office. (Which may be influenced by me thinking of what I'd love to have if I had a 10'x14' office with actual walls... :;): )

• Like 7

I do have to say...if Corporea offers to paint a spacescape on your ceiling for the cost of paint, then LET CORPOREA PAINT A SPACESCAPE ON YOUR CEILING. It would be epic.

If there is then room for a Siri space kraken to emerge from one corner of the ceiling, then all the better.

I would suggest you cut masonite to fit the ceiling, then cut the masonite into manageable pieces, then mail the maso to Corporea to paint at leisure...

It's important the spacescape be visible through the window from the factory floor, so when you view the factory from your office, the minions will see you with a nebula halo.

• Like 11

create some wood silhouettes of the MST3K robots and put them in the window over the factory floor.

Nice thing about this idea is that it works from both directions!

• Like 5

create some wood silhouettes of the MST3K robots and put them in the window over the factory floor.

Nice thing about this idea is that it works from both directions!

Question is, would you line them up as if they're looking out the window at the factory floor, or in the window at Bryan? ::): 

(Personally, I'd do this out of some sort of window cling material rather than wood. But the overall idea is pretty darn great.)

• Like 5

I like how Bryan very reasonably asked for suggestions on decorations and furniture, even allowing commerce links to particular pieces.... and we're all like:

Dude you could get a giant dragon that has a pull out BBQ pit in its stomach and a cotton candy maker on its tail and when it opens its mouth - hidden bacon oven!

What would you do without us, Bryan? ::P:

• Like 10

I like how Bryan very reasonably asked for suggestions on decorations and furniture, even allowing commerce links to particular pieces.... and we're all like:

Dude you could get a giant dragon that has a pull out BBQ pit in its stomach and a cotton candy maker on its tail and when it opens its mouth - hidden bacon oven!

I thought that was the whole point of Bryan's question - so we could dream up something impossibly wild that would make his requests to Ed look reasonable... :devil:

• Like 11

The suggestions have been almost as wild and crazy as I hoped they would be!

Almost?!?  Come on guys, we've got to turn this up to 11!

Stonehenge! Your office needs a fullscale replica of Stonehenge that descends from the ceiling!

• Like 7

paint everything black, in one lower corner of the office recreate the tag out of your hat.  now you are always in your hat when you are inside the office.

So it isn't the best suggestion, I'm not saying it was, but he IS THE HAT after all.

• Like 7

Stonehenge! Your office needs a fullscale replica of Stonehenge that descends from the ceiling!

Too bad they're not redecorating the conference room - you could do a replica of Stonehenge... but with each of the stones having a chair built into it, lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 8

A friend of mine had his living room ceiling painted like a Monopoly board.

why?  Does he have masochistic tendencies?  I don't know how anyone can have good memories of that game.

• Like 4