...not to be confused with Das Boot. I'm planning on expanding my Spook Woods. This was an experiment with DAS Air dry Clay as the bark coating for the trees I'll be making. I posted this previously in my Last Hurrah Thread but figure some further feedback would be nice.

This is with just the DAS . The branches are covered with teased out hot glue:

DSCN1085.JPG

DSCN1087.JPG

...Green Stuffed the branches & some shelf mushrooms:

DSCN1100.JPG

DSCN1103.JPG

DSCN1104.JPG

AND all primed up, ready for some paint. A Troll Volunteer to pose wit The Tree for size comparison:

DSCN1105.JPG

DSCN1108.JPG

DSCN1111.JPG

...The Troll:

DSCN1106.JPG

...& Friend:

DSCN1107.JPG

...there you go. I found the DAS worked as easily as the Plumber's Epoxy Putty I normally use. It's as sturdy although somewhat more brittle. Since it dries slower than the putty, it allows a greater time span for sculpting, AND it's much lighter.

• Like 17

Your stuff always makes me smile. Not just one of those little awww isn't that cute smiles either. One of those huge grins, you know the ones, the ones that take up your whole face. The ones that make people want to know what on earth could make a person smile so wide. Then, I get to show them and make them smile too. And that my friend, is an amazing thing to be able to do for someone. Thank you.

• Like 5

Seeing that town makes me itching to get a brush and start painting that wonderful world.

Thanks, Xherman. Funny thing is there is a fair number of Folk on a few of the Fora I haunt that think I should do The Town in monochromatic/grey scale; AND about the same number opting for my normal technicolor approach. I think this board will be in Living Color, but the photos, especially the photos of my miniatures, turn out so much better with the white-on-black background that I'm thinking of doing a couple of boards in the monochrome just for pics.

Your stuff always makes me smile. Not just one of those little awww isn't that cute smiles either. One of those huge grins, you know the ones, the ones that take up your whole face. The ones that make people want to know what on earth could make a person smile so wide. Then, I get to show them and make them smile too. And that my friend, is an amazing thing to be able to do for someone. Thank you.

Thanks MUCHO for your kind reply, tiniest rhombus. That is exactly the response I try for with my pieces...you've made my day!

• Like 3

I would very much like to live in your Spook Woods. It entirely looks like a place where a xenomorph could frolic quite happily.

I absolutely love it! :wub:

• Like 4

Love it, what a fantastic tree for your fantastic world!

Thanks, ub3r...I'm glad you like it. I'm thinking of adding a swampy section to the Spooky Woods; sort of a transition piece from the Woods to the Witches' Swamp. SO I should be adding more tress to this one; probably about 5 or 6 more. In any case, next time I make one I'll include a photo of the basic armature to complete the step by step process.

I would very much like to live in your Spook Woods. It entirely looks like a place where a xenomorph could frolic quite happily.

I absolutely love it! :wub:

Thanks for the kind reply, Guindyloo! You'd be more than welcome to move in...or I could make a mini to represent you wandering the Woods or visiting the Town....that could be fun.

In any case, I'm delighted you are enjoying my stuff.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 3

How durable is that air dry clay you are using? I have some Crayola that just breaks and crumbles if I barely touch it.

• Like 2

How durable is that air dry clay you are using? I have some Crayola that just breaks and crumbles if I barely touch it.

It's about as sturdy as the epoxy putty I normally use; not crumbly at all. It isn't, however, flexible. SO, I opted for green stuff on the branches. It took the paint very nicely...I was sure it would suck up a couple of coats, but one coat was sufficient. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the results; enough so that I'll be doing some more trees with it.

• Like 3

I like your tree a lot.

I personally am not fond of DAS. I find that it often seems fully dry when it is not, and over time it continues to dry out, to shrink, and to crack. I've discovered cracks due to shrinkage sometimes a couple weeks after I thought the thing was fully cured. I end up spending much time chasing and filling in cracks multiple times before a thing is finished. That's my experience, anyway.

But I still like your tree a lot.

• Like 3

That's a great tree.  To add to the age of the tree, think about burls when you make the trunk splits.  A lot of the character of a tree comes from what ails it.  Dead trees have holes and branch collars where a branch fell away.

Here's some all along the main trunk of a tree:

dsc02076.jpg?w=300

Branch collar:

oak-tree-cut-web-300x202.jpg

The shelf fungus was great and the roots are very nice.

I also love the black & white effect of the whole display.  Very 50s horror movie feel.  Especially that steampunk building.  Not sure why but it gives off a gypsy-caravan vibe.

Stupendous job!

• Like 3

I like your tree a lot.

I personally am not fond of DAS. I find that it often seems fully dry when it is not, and over time it continues to dry out, to shrink, and to crack. I've discovered cracks due to shrinkage sometimes a couple weeks after I thought the thing was fully cured. I end up spending much time chasing and filling in cracks multiple times before a thing is finished. That's my experience, anyway.

But I still like your tree a lot.

Thanks for the reply & the alert, Bruunwald. I will keep an eye on the tree for shrinkage & cracking. This is an experiment, SO I'll report back with any deterioration.

AND I'm glad you like The Tree.

These are a couple more tress done in the putty. It gives an idea what full color will look like:

post-4409-0-53636500-1370534412_thumb.jp

post-4409-0-58796000-1370534512_thumb.jp

post-4409-0-66807500-1370534738_thumb.jp

That's a great tree.  To add to the age of the tree, think about burls when you make the trunk splits.  A lot of the character of a tree comes from what ails it.  Dead trees have holes and branch collars where a branch fell away.

The shelf fungus was great and the roots are very nice.

I also love the black & white effect of the whole display.  Very 50s horror movie feel.  Especially that steampunk building.  Not sure why but it gives off a gypsy-caravan vibe.

Stupendous job!

Thanks for the photos & kind remarks, Thrym. The burls & branch collars add to the character of the trees. I'm going to try both. Here the Pecan Trees develop holes where limbs used to be...the Owls are rather fond of these ready made crash pads.

Where the tree is in the photo is where Rapunzel's Twisted Tower will be:

DSCN0899.JPG

...this gives you a better idea of the Tower's height:

DSCN0787.JPG

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 5

I'm impressed and intrigued and (will soon be) motivated!  I love your Spooky Stuff--keep it up!

Thanks for the kind reply, BLZeebub. Supplying motivation/inspiration is the ultimate goal in posting photos...glad to be of service