• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I picked up the Orc with the chainsword and the android priestess. Don't know what I'm going to use them for, but it was an Orc. WITH A CHAINSWORD.

so... what you're saying is that a dynastic succession squabble campaign with robots is a thing that I could run? Because that sounds really cool.

Say "Golem with a wand of Scorching Ray" and you're back to classic gaming fantasy with the exact same effects.

I used to love Pathfinder, but I think it's gotten too bloated. That's why I switched to Labyrinth Lord. The last straw for me was the Mythic system. As I understand it there are now androids, and robots, and ray guns in PF.

• Like 1

Pathfinder gives you a lot of options. Options that are optional. Not required.

If you like the options, you can use the options. If you don't, you don't have to.

The options come in splat books and in campaign settings that you are very free to ignore at your leisure. They do not come in the basic rules.

• Like 4

In Pathfinder's setting. i.e. Golarion, there is a mix of fantasy tropes all around and it was pretty much always planned this way. So you have jungle dwelling primitive societies, egyptian pharaohs, magic dead zones where gunpowder discoveries made them king, byzantine falling empires with viking honor guards, renaissance cities under devil control, gothic horrors, countries ruled by undead, a country where religion is forbidden, swashbuckling pirate seas, fairy-tale witches, French/American revolution equivalents, etc. And somehow, it all fits without feeling to forced. At the same time, a lot of people don't want ray guns mixed with their dragons.

Me, I come from a world where a Maasai warrior goat herder can be found chatting on his cell phone.

Androids are mostly found in the country of Numeria where huge alien spaceships crashed there ages ago. Most of the androids haven't got a clue where they came from. They're just artificial humanoid vessels in which their "soul" lives in for about a century. After that, they "die" and a new "soul" hosts the android body. That particular country has a "Thundarr the Barbarian" feel to it. Hunks of technology everywhere that reproduces magic effects, but very little people know how to use fully use them, nor how to create more of it.

As for space elves, it's not so much about being from another planet but they learned pretty early on to explore other worlds. And when a big calamity hit the world in Golarion's past, they exiled themselves to another world for a millennium. Those who decided to stay and go underground for shelter became the drow.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5

In Pathfinder's setting. i.e. Golarion, there is a mix of fantasy tropes all around and it was pretty always planned this way. So you have jungle dwelling primitive societies, egyptian pharaohs, magic dead zones where gunpowder discoveries made them king, byzantine falling empires with viking honor guards, renaissance cities under devil control, gothic horrors, countries ruled by undead, a country where religion is forbidden, swashbuckling pirate seas, fairy-tale witches, French/American revolution equivalents, etc. And somehow, it all fits without feeling to forced. At the same time, a lot of people don't want ray guns mixed with their dragons.

Me, I come from a world where a Maasai warrior goat herder can be found chatting on his cell phone.

Androids are mostly found in the country of Numeria where huge alien spaceships crashed there ages ago. Most of the androids haven't got a clue where they came from. They're just artificial humanoid vessels in which their "soul" lives in for about a century. After that, they "die" and a new "soul" hosts the android body. That particular country has a "Thundarr the Barbarian" feel to it. Hunks of technology everywhere that reproduces magic effects, but very little people know how to use fully use them, nor how to create more of it.

As for space elves, it's not so much about being from another planet but they learned pretty early on to explore other worlds. And when a big calamity hit the world in Golarion's past, they exiled themselves to another world for a millennium. Those who decided to stay and go underground for shelter became the drow.

so... what you're saying is that a dynastic succession squabble campaign with robots is a thing that I could run? Because that sounds really cool.

• Like 7

In Pathfinder's setting. i.e. Golarion, there is a mix of fantasy tropes all around and it was pretty always planned this way. So you have jungle dwelling primitive societies, egyptian pharaohs, magic dead zones where gunpowder discoveries made them king, byzantine falling empires with viking honor guards, renaissance cities under devil control, gothic horrors, countries ruled by undead, a country where religion is forbidden, swashbuckling pirate seas, fairy-tale witches, French/American revolution equivalents, etc. And somehow, it all fits without feeling to forced. At the same time, a lot of people don't want ray guns mixed with their dragons.

For all intent and purposes, yes. Pathfinder androids are a rare but fairly standard PC race that just happen to be constructs with their own advantages and disadvantages. And they're far from being the weirdest thing around in the setting.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 4

Pathfinder gives you a lot of options. Options that are optional. Not required.

If you like the options, you can use the options. If you don't, you don't have to.

The options come in splat books and in campaign settings that you are very free to ignore at your leisure. They do not come in the basic rules.

The reason I love Pathfinder is because of the setting, the flavor material, not the rules.

I can understand that as a publishing company they constantly need new material to keep people interested, but with the caveat that after a while it's too much of a good thing and you end up with a weird menagerie of overpowered characters. Thy Mythic rules have tons of flavor powers and context, but most players use whatever gives them the best combat advantage and it quickly breaks down.

I've also noticed quite a while ago that each new Adventure Path tends to be designed to use the latest rule expansion book.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

Hmmm, well I guess you do learn something new every day. Androids and ray guns, huh?

Say "Golem with a wand of Scorching Ray" and you're back to classic gaming fantasy with the exact same effects.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 6