89028: Arael, Half Elf Cleric

canuckotter

I'm painting this guy up as my own character in our D&D campaign. The real character is a half-elf ardent (4E D&D, psychic class that plays mostly a support role that focuses on melee) who runs around with a greatsword. He wears chain, but I figured this guy's leather armour is close enough. :;):  I've got the face done (the pic makes him look cross-eyed for some reason though?) and sketched in the highlights for the leather armour. It's definitely over-bright in a lot of areas, but it'll flatten out a lot as I glaze on the brown for the leather... Hopefully that'll make it look less blotchy. ::P:

2015-11-18%2019.10.21.jpg?dl=0&raw=1

ETA: I forgot to say it, but comments & criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by canuckotter
  • Like 12

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More work! Painted up the leather... Still not sure about it. I think it's both too red and too dark. But at this point I'm not sure how to brighten it up without starting all over yet again, which I'd prefer not to do because I just want this guy to be done so I can start using him on the table... ::P: 

2015-11-20%2020.00.56.jpg?dl=0&raw=1

The pants were an experiment... I did the highlights in greyscale and then put on a transparent blue from... P3? Or Vallejo? I forget which!  :blink: Anyway. It ended up a bit too vibrantly blue so I toned it down by putting a thin glaze of the brown I used for the armour.

So! What do you folks think? Should I redo the armour again? Redo the pants? Do something else? Leave that stuff alone and just finish off the sword, trim, etc?

• Like 1

Maybe try a high light with a lighter brown / yellow brown, and use what you have on the armor as your shadows?

I have been a fan recently of using yellow browns for my leather armor. I will then use brown washes to darken it up, and do most of my shading.

I have also been impressed with the Scale 75 Leathers, they tend to layer very well for me, and there are different base colors, Red, Brown, Black that all work really well depending on what effect you are going for....

George

• Like 1