Sign in to follow this  
Mutilatedlips

Roman Gladiator "Mirmillone"

This is beautiful work! The only thing I would critique is that some brown added to the shading on the loincloth would dingy it up a bit, only because I sincerely doubt his loincloth would be that pristine; especially when compared against the shield.

• Like 1

Really great idea for a gift.  The fact you took something special to you and your father in the rock and showcased it with something he is into makes the best possible gift.  I'm sure he will be terribly excited!

• Like 1

This came across my mind. I could have easily done a bit of dirt n gore on his skin and cloth, but I figured I could get away with it just being on the shield. I imagined him coming fresh out of a bath, given clean clothes scooping up his dirty shield from a previous won battle and confidently walking out to fight again. Sort of a Hollywood story in my brain...

but mainly I didn't want to completely dirty up dad's figure.

This is beautiful work! The only thing I would critique is that some brown added to the shading on the loincloth would dingy it up a bit, only because I sincerely doubt his loincloth would be that pristine; especially when compared against the shield.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By odinsgrandson
      At this point, I've done enough Arena Rex that I should probably just dedicate a single thread to collecting them.  So here we go.

• By bluecrowlaura
      Hi there! I've started a diorama project, and I thought it would be good to post my progress here. This is my first diorama attempt- I have just been trying All The Things to see which ones I like best!- and so far, so good, I suppose. I'm one of those folks who learn best by doing, so here goes.

I'll be using Reaper's 03172 Hippocampus and Pegaso's Nymert, along with some Morland Studios Sea Accessories.  I've built the base from scratch using Excalibur casting stone poured into a laser-cut plywood disk, along with lava rock, bark chips, and some hydrostone...so far. I'm going to need to add some Milliput along the edges to finish the angle, and do a bit more work with the Dremel before priming.

I was having a hard time envisoning how the figures would interact, despite sketches, so I decided to go ahead and start attaching the one element I'm certain of: the hippocampus. After cleaning him up a little and using the Dremel to modify his base somewhat, I glued it in. I tried to twist him a little, to give some spiraling motion that would match the nymert, but this is one tough seahorse. I am going to do a little torquing when I pin to the tail, but that's it. The nymert was a little tougher; she'll have to be pinned to a coral tower in the back, so I had to add an extra pin. I did it before cleanup, and I am crossing my fingers that I can get it to look natural in the end.

As I was deciding on the final placement of the nymert figure, I realized that I hadn't thought enough about the most important element of the dio: the story. No matter how I placed her, she looked like she was attacking the hippocampus! Not what I want! So I need to add a third figure, some sort of baddy for the two of them to be fighting. But there's very little room in this design for any additions. Soooo.....

Tentacles. This is a Fimo armature for what I hope will be a few evil-looking tentacles trying to trap the two figures. I sculpted it onto regular armature wire, attached it with CA glue and 2-part epoxy, and carved back into it to whittle it down a bit. I will use green stuff to sculpt the final tentacles, maybe more wire if necessary.

(Also, if you look closely, you can see the hole I drilled into the lava rock 'coral' for the nymert's pin. More of the lava rock drilled out than I wanted- it basically disintegrated- so I'll need something fairly sturdy to fill it when I'm ready for final assembly. Maybe Durham's. Or more 2-part epoxy or JB Weld.)

And that's it! That's how far I've come. Next week I'm going to mount the hippocampus and the nymert, I think, even though painting will get trickier; I can't really finish the tentacles until I do.

Fingers crossed....

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      Salvete, Amici!

Phew ... some time since I wrote that last time ... haha!

Well then: Time to feel the might of the Roman Legion, the breast best army of ancient Europe!

I planned to be abscent from painting for some time more, but it happened that I got a more or less good reason to start again. A friend of mine who I have known for quite some time now - he is one of the master minds behind some of the Gallia to Arms builds - I decided to make a little present for him.

Anyway ... this guy is a great fan of the Roman legion and he even has an 28mm Roman army. He is creating his army a bit in the style of an Asterix Roman army, having bought some of the characters and using them in his force.

But he still misses a force commander - and that is where I come into play. On the last Tactica wargaming event, I got a female Roman centurion from the Hot&Dangerous brand and I immediately thought what a great force commander she would make. Alea iacta est!

I don't know what would be a better fit - his birthday or christmas - but I can decide that when I am as far as I want to be.

But I will not only give the figure to him. Nah - I think this is a great opportunity for me to get back into painting. So I used my social skills to ask about some of his concepts and I think now I have got a good idea of what I have to do.

And now it is time to MAKE A GREAT PRESENT AGAIN!

Those are all the parts I have got. The lady can either use a mirror or her helmet to check her hair. Really now? I mean ... use one or the other? Nah. Not with me. She will use the mirror, but I will put the helmet in front of her and cut away her arm, so that all parts are on the base.

And now for some basing!

Valete!

• By Pochi
      I painted up Aquarius and Virgo as statues for my Dragons Don't Share Ruins. My WIP is here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/71651-dragons-dont-share-2/

I am still working on the overall but I was happy with how my "statues" turned out so wanted to share them in a Show Off!

I can't get over how cute these two little minis are. I had no idea they were so cute. I will be buying more to paint as "normal" but I think they make excellent statues as well!

Pictures of Virgo in first reply.
    • By Ironhammer
      I did this figure up for the quarterly painting competition.  I made a weapon swap to turn her into a female gladiator, with a gladius blade pulled from the spare parts bin and a scratch built fantasy scutum, which was made mostly from sheet styrene.  The scorpions are freehand.  Apologies for my rather sub-par photography!

• Who's Online   29 Members, 2 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)