Sign in to follow this  
Kheprera

Using Ceramic Tiles for Basing

I have some tiles I bought to use as bases:

basingtiles.jpg

However, to use as I intend to, I need to be able to pin my minis to them. I'm not sure my pin vice will be sufficient. Rather than risk breaking the tile, should I build up some terrain using greenstuff first? I want to try and keep some of the original color of the tile in the final piece I'm planning on.

I'm going to use one of the larger, 4"x4" bases initially, but this will apply to all the bases in the end for other minis.

• Like 4

It would probably be easier to drill from the unglazed underside of the tiles. I think my finger drills would go through without much of a problem.

• Like 1

Tried my normal bits on the back. Stopped about 1/8" of the way through. Will see if I can find a small enough bit with diamond tip.

Removed the glue that held the backing with acetone. It's all nice and pretty, but thinking maybe som greenstuff might help with the overall look.

Will hitting it with Dullcoate first help with adherenceof glue/greenstuff? I've only worked with wood, plastic, & metal, so this medium is new to me.

Edited by Kheprera
  • Like 1

Tried my normal bits on the back. Stopped about 1/8" of the way through. Will see if I can find a small enough bit with diamond tip.

Removed the glue that held the backing with acetone. It's all nice and pretty, but thinking maybe som greenstuff might help with the overall look.

Will hitting it with Dullcoate first help with adherenceof glue/greenstuff? I've only worked with wood, plastic, & metal, so this medium is new to me.

Try cleaning the bit first, then continuing. I have noticed that small bits will get 'clogged' by materials like ceramics instead of 'threading' out the drilled material the way metal or plastic does.

G

• Like 1

Dremel makes a glass drilling bit.  1/8"

They also have a flip bit diamond drill that can drill in 1/16" and 3/32" diameters.

Neither are terribly well reviewed, and the bits lose their cutting ability quickly.  Of course, not sure if they used lubrication like you should for cutting/drilling stone and glass.

Most of the commercial brands, smallest size I am finding is 1/8"

Rio Grande has a large selection.  But they only let you order through the catalogue, and honestly, you don't want that catalogue in your house.  It's like a siren.  Calling you onto the rocks.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 2

Going to use cork and create some varied terrain. Will allow me to leave the "stone" exposed in places with minimal fussing with it.

• Like 3