Which white paints do you prefer?

SpiritOfMadness

Hi All,

When i do a wash, a drybrush or deluted white paint, (I tried a few different brands, Tamiya, Vallejo(all ranges) and Citadel) I find my whites to leave a somewhat grainy texture.. When airbrushing I find my tamiya to be the one who gives me the best and cleanest result, but I am still not truly happy with it. I use low pressure, a fresh clean gun and apply many thin layers to get the best results, but still not to my desired satisfaction.

I know most white paints have less or larger piqments in them then lets say a red paint, but was wondering if there is a paint that has less of that grainy feel/texture to it.

Which White do you all prefer for brush work and which one for airbrushing?

• Like 3

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For brushwork, Vallejo Model Air 71.001

Airbrushing: I only use an airbrush for priming or basecoat. In that case, I use Vallejo Surface Primer White 74600

EDIT: I haven't tried it yet, but Privateer Press's range is supposedly smoother. Maybe someone that uses it can attest to that.

Edited by frogimus
  • Like 2

White is always going to be a little grainy in appearance when thinned, owing to the nature of the pigment. Titanium dioxide is pretty much the only white pigment used in acrylics. It's permanent, probably nonpoisonous, and the most opaque white on the market. But it doesn't seem to stay perfectly smooth in very thin layers.

I only use hand brushes these days. My white of choice is Golden Paints' matte fluid acrylic in Titanium White.

• Like 5

Thank you all for the tips!

I will see If I can find a store which sells all or at least 2 of them and make an order to try them out.

last wednesday I already Morrow white from P3 together with a few minis from a store in germany.

Xherman, do you know of a store in Europe or perhaps even the Netherlands who sells the reaper paints?

• Like 1

I ordered  Reaper MSP HD 29842 Solid White directly from Reaper. A few professional painters tested the paint out and they liked it. Haven't tried it out yet though I have a chaos dragon that I'll be attempting a pastel color scheme on using the white to lighten the base colors.  My prep work isn't the smoothest so we'll see how it goes.  With white or any paint that is grainy, it's best to have a really smooth surface to prime so as to mitigate the paints amplifying the miniature's surface texture.

• Like 2

The only white I've found that isn't grainy... or at least as grainy... is Coat D'Arms white.  I couldn't tell you what the difference in that formula is, just that if I'm looking for smooth under thinning that's the one I opt for.

Probably the size of the pigment particles, they may use a finer powder (smaller grain size) than others which would result in a less grainy paint.

It is also possible they have tweaked the non-pigment part of the paint so that it forms a more uniform suspension which separates less than other paints when thinned so the grain is less noticable.

• Like 1

Through an airbrush I have been using Tamiya Flat White, XF-2, thinned with their X-20A thinner, gives a nice smooth coat.

With a brush, I rarely use 'pure' white, more often I'll use an 'off white' like Scale 75 White Sands or VMC Ivory. I used to use GW white, but have been getting away from GW paints for Scale 75, Reaper and Vallejo for most things...

George

• Like 1