This is a 20 man (well, 17 with a unit filler) unit of skeletons that I'm working on for possible use in Kings of War. It's composed of figures by a lot of different manufacturers including Reaper, Ral Partha, GW, Grenadier, Mage Knight, and WOTC. I'm using all the different makers and scales to try and make an interesting looking unit composed of more than just human remains. I am an equal opportunity, non racially biased necromancer, after all. ::D:

This will be kind of a slow burn project; I'm not in any major rush to finish these for a game any time soon. This will be something to work on in between other projects. There will be conversions, and different paint jobs for the skellies; again in an effort to make a more interesting looking group.

Here's the unit all together:

post-12095-0-31566400-1448725893_thumb.jpg

post-12095-0-35101200-1448725920_thumb.jpg

What would be more interesting; making individual show off threads as I finish 2 or 3 figures, or just putting the finished figures in here and then doing a show off for the whole unit once it's complete?

• Like 13

Looks good. I love the variety!

I prefer the one-stop-shopping kind if thread, rather than having to keep track of several independent threads for something like this.

• Like 3

I love this.

I suggest a thread for the regiment, you can take pics of the skeletons apart as well.

The one with the Pitchfork, I have that one in my Swamp Undead Regiment, he's from Harlequinn.

Very cool unit,

Who makes the Unit Filler?

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 1

Off to a good start!

A suggestion though, Number the bottom of the minis in a way you will remember so that you can replicate the formation each time! The couple of times I tried doing regiments this way, if I didn't number them, I couldn't get them to fit on the movement tray again....

George

• Like 3

I love this.

I suggest a thread for the regiment, you can take pics of the skeletons apart as well.

The one with the Pitchfork, I have that one in my Swam Undead Regiment, he's from Harlequinn.

Very cool unit,

Who makes the Unit Filler?

Thanks, I thought you might like it. Your very cool swamp themed undead was partially the inspiration for doing this.

BLZeebub beat me to it; the unit filler is indeed made by Ral Partha; in 1994, according to the base.

Off to a good start!

A suggestion though, Number the bottom of the minis in a way you will remember so that you can replicate the formation each time! The couple of times I tried doing regiments this way, if I didn't number them, I couldn't get them to fit on the movement tray again....

George

Good idea, I intend to do just that.

Ok, so one show off thread to rule them all it is.

Here's the first update; I finished these 3 up yesterday.

Bones skeleton with spear:

post-12095-0-11554000-1448806246_thumb.jpg

post-12095-0-33489500-1448806264_thumb.jpg

Bones skeleton with sword; 'Alas, poor OneBoot. I knew her, Horatio'

post-12095-0-72991800-1448806292_thumb.jpg

post-12095-0-80847800-1448806310_thumb.jpg

Mage Knight skeleton

post-12095-0-21858500-1448806328_thumb.jpg

post-12095-0-14260900-1448806344_thumb.jpg

The Bones skellies have some soft detail in spots; they're painted up as well as I can manage; they'll look ok once they're all ranked up with the rest of their fellows.

To create a little bit of interest, I made scraps of clothing attached to the Bones skellies with tissue soaked in a water/white glue mix. They were applied while still damp, and then sealed in place with a dab of superglue.

Those unsightly white spots on the bases have been corrected, too.

(Don't you just love how good you think a figure looks, only for the pictures to show every single little flaw in glaring detail, as though there was a huge neon sign pointing at it?)

• Like 11

(snip)

Those unsightly white spots on the bases have been corrected, too.

(Don't you just love how good you think a figure looks, only for the pictures to show every single little flaw in glaring detail, as though there was a huge neon sign pointing at it?)

That is the 2nd reason to do WIPs....

The first is so that everyone can tell you how awesome your work is to keep you motivated to finish!

George

• Like 4

Another skellie done; this one is a Mage Knight figure that I converted with some GW arms.

post-12095-0-72697400-1453140085_thumb.jpg

post-12095-0-70292200-1453140101_thumb.jpg

Detail of the stone on his base:

post-12095-0-49982600-1453140118_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I like him, nice great sword!

Digging the Sword also. Was it attached to the arms originally?

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this