Dragon of fire

The babies are. Since they are so simple I am trying to get some nice shading and highlighting done on them. Mom is still primmed gray. BUt need to get to crackin' on her. Got three more ideas to work on! And I want to finish one boefore I astart another. Plus there is this blue dragon needing finished up for e-bay...... <_< GOt to quit starting things before other things are done.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<_<  GOt to quit starting things before other things are done.

When's the last time you saw a miniature painter actually finishing a project before starting another? :lol:

I have at leat 16 mini WIP that are gathering dust on the table. Most will soon take a dip in the Simple Green to be replaced by more WIP that will only be doomed to a dip in SG...

The curse of the miniature painter... ^_^

By the way, how are you painting your dragons? Are you drybrushing, blending, ect? I've been wanting to buy a dragon model for a while, but not sure how to paint them best...

I do a bit of both, but I do a lot of dry brushing on dragons, because the scales are so conducive to that technique. The Amber dragon I am working on I am doing a lot of wet blending on as I have a specific color pattern I want done and that is requiring a lot of wet blending.

I do a bit of both, but I do a lot of dry brushing on dragons, because the scales are so conducive to that technique. The Amber dragon I am working on I am doing a lot of wet blending on as I have a specific color pattern I want done and that is requiring a lot of wet blending.

I see...

Well, good luck on your dragon project. Hope to see good pics soon of the finished model! ^_^

The babies are almost done, just have to do thier tummies. But I have a quandery. According to the MMI and Drconomicon, baby reds are a glossy scarlet red. I am wondering if I want to use a true gloosy top coat, or if I shoudl tone it down a bt and use a satin coat. The satin coat will still be shiny, but not as much as a high gloss/ Thought? Opinions? Also, If I can get a decent shot of 'mom' I started painting her, just put on all the dark red and yellow, but it will show how I start when I do a dragon.

LT

LT from a biological prospective that wouldn't make any sense. Babies are fairly helpless and as such would have duller colors so as not to attract attention to themselves. I would tone down the colors and make them a lot flatter then the full grown mother.

Well, I am looking at it from the way it was written in the books, and to keep from having to listen to all those bible....err.....rules quoting mongers who will say "But the Book says..." I am following the books description. Besides, only a fool would mess with the babies of an adult red dragon! (A dead fool.) And as it was pointed out to me before, this is fantasy, real biological rules need not apply! ::D: And, some dragons don't even rear thier babies, just up and leave 'em, so the little tykes have to be somewaht tough.

Here is a not so great picture of mamma in her base coat. I always wrok from dark to light. Picture was taken after dark and the lighting in the new place is pretty sucky, so I have to use the light on the camera. BUT, it deos show what I am starting with. I already painted up the rock base, and will hopefully only have to touch it up as I go along.

LT

post-26-1087831800.jpg

Well in that case I would go with the Satin coat, the glossy coat would be too much gloss, unless of course you are working with the thought of them still being slimy from the egg goo, then I would go with the glossy coat, or you could go satin on sections where there is little or no goo and glossy on sections with goo.

Well, working on the details on the babies today and tomorrow (I hope) Once those details are done will concentrate on 'mom'. This will be a busy week for me though and I don't anticipate getting muchdone. But on Vacation next week, so cross your fingers!

LT