Sign in to follow this  
Chaoswolf

How to paint blood stained metal?

Basically, just like the title says; how do you paint blood stained metal?

Fresh blood I'm good with, but I've got a couple figures I'm working on that need to have well used and stained blades; how do I do this?

I'd cut my finger and bleed on it a bit and then let it dry. You should be good to go after that.

That is the secret to overall painting skill improvement; sacrificial blood from one's own digits.  :devil:

• Like 3

I'd cut my finger and bleed on it a bit and then let it dry. You should be good to go after that.

That's what I used to do back in the day, lol...

Bloodstains aren't much different from painting rust, although the pattern of them on the blade would be much different than rust spots (you'll want to research blood spatter pics to get the patterns right), the dried blood spots wouldn't be as heavy as rust spots (individual spots and streaks as opposed to rusty areas) and the dried blood would be much more reddish brown than the typical orange rust.

• Like 2

Using real blood is a viable option.  Usually if I'm heavily modifying metals I'll end up with plenty extra red stuff....  Not sure of a consistent way to get any blood otherwise though.

Old blood tends towards a murky blackish brown or outright black on a mini.  Depending on the implied material of the blade you could incorporate some rust as well.

• Like 1

I mix brown and red inks, with an accent on the brown, glaze with that in random patterns, then let that dry. Then I increase the amount of red in the mix, and glaze over that, though I don't cover the whole original glaze, since I think there should be some sense of randomness to how stains dry.

If the stains are meant to be really old, that is usually enough. If I am trying to simulate something newer, or more stains building on top, I mix up again with yet more red, and glaze again.

If I need some splatter, I dot different sized spots with a very fine tipped brush, and dot with increasingly more red, just like above.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 1

My wife already teases me mercilessly about the frequency with which I accidentally cut myself; it has become mandatory that I maintain a box of Band-aids on my workbench. I think doing it intentionally is probably a no-go. :upside:

I'll try out some of the ideas you've mentioned; thanks!

• Like 1

My wife already teases me mercilessly about the frequency with which I accidentally cut myself; it has become mandatory that I maintain a box of Band-aids on my workbench. I think doing it intentionally is probably a no-go. :upside:

I used to cut myself a lot. But over the years I seem to have developed piercing and slashing resistance - either the build-up of scar tissue has reached the point of permanently armoring my fingertips or my fingers have at some unknown point been replaced with replicas with the flesh made from self-healing cutting mats, lol.

Just recently, I jabbed a sharp piece of wire nearly 1/8th of an inch into my hand and it didn't even bleed.

• Like 1

I would clean the blood off first and apply paint to a clean fresh primer surface. It may take a wire brush if the blood has really dried on and started to pit the metal.

• Like 2

While I'd agree that Tamiya Clear Red is great for fresh blood, I'm not convinced it's a good fit for dried blood.

Mix with Tamiya Smoke.
  • Like 3