Jokemeister

Airbrush and primer/sealer

I'll be getting an airbrush as a Christmas present this year.  Woot!

I wanted to thank people on this forum for all the tips they have posted around using airbrushes.  I haven't watched any of the videos yet but the links in the Airbrush Compendium thread were very helpful!

I did have a couple of questions though.

• Can you use a primer with an airbrush?  If so, any particular recommended primer brand and do I need to thin the primer?  How much should the primer be thinned - similar to normal paint ie milk like consistency?  Also, what should I be thinning the primer with?
  • Can you use a sealer with an airbrush?  If so, same questions as above - any particular brand? Do I need to thin the sealer?  etc
  • Like 2

Yes. I've used a bit of a slightly sorta thinned version of reaper brush on as spray primer. I look for milky consistency and i don't use water but actual medium to thin or a medium concoction (my current mixture is thinner medium with another medium...forgot thebrand mixed with a bit of water. It looks like milk, flows like milk and is perfect for my uses airbrushing or not. 

• Like 1

Badger stynylrez on amazon is the short answer. 

Longer answer is there are a lot of options are available but this is available for a good value in the USA and is a solid product.  It has been praised by people far and wide and is currently a decent value as compared to any european (spanish primer) you can buy. It is possible to thin other products and use them as primers but it will affect the durability of the undercoat you use. I have not had the problem with badger that I have with vallejo that corners of a mini that stick out and get rubbed during the painting process will have paint rub off.

As for sealers I've been using liquitex matte and satin but they go on really thick so I would say keep looking, I know testors makes dullcote in a lacquer form outside of an aerosol can and others have had lots of good things to say about dullcote in can form. I just bought some dullcote in a can at micheals. I have used krylon matte aerosol primer and even though it dries a little satin its hard as nails.

Vallejo while more expensive in the usa is a solid choice, it just takes way longer to cure than stynylrez and seems to be a touch more delicate, but they are both polyurethane so go figure. Maybe its my nationalism showing that I prefer the 'murican primer.

Edited by czebas
  • Like 1

I've been happy with both Reaper MSP primer thinned with eater and the Badger stynylrez primer. I'm currently using the Badger primer mainly because I don't have to thin it.

For varnish, I've been using Liquitex for my gloss coat and Lascaux UV Resistant Matte for my matte cost. I thin the Liquitx slightly, and I find that the Lascaux works better unthinned. The Lascaux works wonderfully well for knocking down the gloss coat shine instantly as long as I use light, thin coats (pausing for drying between multiple coats if necessary). Downside to the Lascaux is that I've only ever seen it at the Dick Blick website.

Ron

• Like 1

Vallejo makes a whole line of primers suitable for using unthinned in an airbrush.  Sealer works well - I use Liquitex Gloss and Matte Varnish.  Though I probably wouldn't recommend the that particular matte varnish out of an airbrush - it tends to cause a grainy surface (I don't see this when I use Reaper, but the Reaper doesn't make it as matte)

• Like 1

I don't use my airbrush to prime / seal, but I have thinned down the Grey Liner about 50% with water to use as a primer on Bones minis....

Worked a treat!

George

PS what kind of airbrush? do you know?

(Nosey me....)

• Like 2

PS what kind of airbrush? do you know?

(Nosey me....)

Actually, I do know as I was consulted before the order was made.  The fear was that the airbrush wouldn't fit my needs and they wanted to check first.  Which was hilarious as I didn't know anything about airbrushes at the time so had to do some fast googling!

Anyway, I'll be getting the Grex GCK01 beginner combo kit.  This isn't a recommendation as I have no idea if it is a good airbrush but a quick google did seem to indicate that it was a decent choice for beginners.

I'm in the camp that loves the Badger Stynylrez primer. I use it right out of the bottle, with the .35mm needle at 30 PSI. This stuff works great with metal or Bones.

If I'm just doing a single small piece, I'll use reaper brush-on primer for metal, and one of the Reaper liners for Bones.

• Like 1