Sign in to follow this  
Auberon

14106: Dark Maiden

I like how you've painted her skin, and the red of her dress adds a nice contrast. The water isn't horrible but you're right; it doesn't look natural.

• Like 2

She looks stunning!

Love the woodwork and how you blended the colours in.

The foam on the waves. I guess the problem is they're kinda random / swirly.

Waves follow a pattern. Look at a few pics of waves and you'll see.

It is not that disturbing, but if you can correct it, the piece will look even better,.

• Like 2

^^ This, mostly.

The base looks more like the water might be somehow boiling from below, imo. Which isn't all bad, because you could claim that's intentional, to signify how the water is disturbed by strong supernatural forces at work. Which may not be that bad a plan B as compared to trying to redo the base.

• Like 4

That's gorgeous!  The blending from dress to wood is seamless, and I actually like the way the foam looks--if anything the tips could be just a tiny bit too bright, but that is in keeping with the more vibrant theme anyway.  Keep it up.

• Like 1

She's incredible!!!

You've done a fantastic job on her.

I'm torn on the waves/water/sea foam. I don't think it looks bad at all, but at the same time, i think some of suggestions above would make it look better.

• Like 2

^^ This, mostly.

The base looks more like the water might be somehow boiling from below, imo. Which isn't all bad, because you could claim that's intentional, to signify how the water is disturbed by strong supernatural forces at work. Which may not be that bad a plan B as compared to trying to redo the base.

I like the boiling water concept. This turned out really nice Auberon.

• Like 2

She looks stunning!

Love the woodwork and how you blended the colours in.

It is not that disturbing, but if you can correct it, the piece will look even better,.

This.

The water does look more roiling than wavy, but in this case I think it works well. The white, I'd try to remove it. It looks too heavy. You could try just a bit of white on the tips of the water effects closest to her.

I love, love, love your concept for her. You've done an amazing job. She is a stunning piece, wonderfully executed!

• Like 4

Beautiful!!!

If you didn't do it already, try mixing the white paint directly into the Water Effects. That might help thin out the foam, and not make it look quite so dense.

• Like 2

She is gorgeous in full color! :wub:

I really like that the trim details on her ship and her dress are the same color!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 1

Great work!  I really like your take on the Sea Maiden, and think the base captures a roiling turbulent sea nicely!

• Like 1

I think you've all discovered another issue with the foam, which is that it's disguising the fact that there is in fact a wave pattern underneath it all. 

Beautiful!!!

If you didn't do it already, try mixing the white paint directly into the Water Effects. That might help thin out the foam, and not make it look quite so dense.

As it happens, I made the foam by adding white paint to the water effects.  This particular brand starts out as a white paste which then dries clear, which is actually what you are seeing over most of the base.  Adding paint to the effects makes foam, but since it starts out as opaque white it is hard to judge what the final effect will look like.  This has too much white paint added.  Since there are no visual cues I'll just have to experiment with some ratios and find one that works.

• Like 5

I think you've all discovered another issue with the foam, which is that it's disguising the fact that there is in fact a wave pattern underneath it all. 

Beautiful!!!

As it happens, I made the foam by adding white paint to the water effects.  This particular brand starts out as a white paste which then dries clear, which is actually what you are seeing over most of the base.  Adding paint to the effects makes foam, but since it starts out as opaque white it is hard to judge what the final effect will look like.  This has too much white paint added.  Since there are no visual cues I'll just have to experiment with some ratios and find one that works.

Yes, I know what you're talking about as I did the same thing, and experienced the same problems (only on a much smaller scale), with the fountain I posted here http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/65327-chriss-frostgrave-terrain-efforts/?p=1274216 I tried to add a little foam where the stream of water enters the pool of water, and it turned out just like glossy white paint. Luckily it's so small it's not noticeable.

I wonder if you tried thinning the paint first, before mixing it with the Water Effects.

• Like 1