Sign in to follow this  
bailey03

Dwarf Pirate

Wow! Thank you for posting the first and second photo. I haven't been painting minis for very long, and I think I stop at photo 1.... I didn't realize that until now.... The blending to the brighter highlights is amazing! ::o:

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

Wow! Thank you for posting the first and second photo. I haven't been painting minis for very long, and I think I stop at photo 1.... I didn't realize that until now.... The blending to the brighter highlights is amazing! ::o:

Morihalda, that's pretty common.  Contrast was something I struggled with a long time.  It wasn't until I went to some competitions and saw in person what people were doing that it really clicked.  My advice is paint to a contrast you feel comfortable with, but then push the shadows a little bit darker and the highlights a little bit lighter.  If you keep doing that, your contrast range will continue to grow and I think you'll be happier with the result.  Sure, you can have too much contrast.  But until you actually cross that line, you won't really know where it is.

• Like 2

Thanks, everyone!

Morihalda, that's pretty common.  Contrast was something I struggled with a long time.  It wasn't until I went to some competitions and saw in person what people were doing that it really clicked.  My advice is paint to a contrast you feel comfortable with, but then push the shadows a little bit darker and the highlights a little bit lighter.  If you keep doing that, your contrast range will continue to grow and I think you'll be happier with the result.  Sure, you can have too much contrast.  But until you actually cross that line, you won't really know where it is.

Great Advice!  And something I still struggle with myself.  Love your work and these wip's you post.  Always glad to see your stuff.

• Like 1

Here's a shot with the colors I used for the reds.  Sometimes the shades don't quite match the color squares that Reaper shows on their paints page.  In this case the Violet Red is a bit different from what Reaper shows and the Vampiric Shadow is quite different (Reaper's square looks like khaki).  Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone was trying to match colors to another paint line.

post-13634-0-86091000-1449850334_thumb.jpg

In other news, I've made some modest progress on the dwarf.  I completed the shading and highlighting on his pants.  Then I moved on to some detail work, taking care of his peg leg, pistol, and left hand.  I managed to get a bit of skin shade on his coat, so while I was cleaning that up I took the opportunity to fix a few things that were bugging me.  There was a shadow line on the front lower left that didn't seem right to me, so I took it out.  There were also a few shadows on his left arm that seemed too dark to be realistic, so I lightened them up a bit.

B06.JPGB07.JPGB08.JPGB09.JPG

• Like 12

I'm glad I gambled on ordering Violet Red, I love the rich shade of red you've got for his coat.  Your highlights look so darned smooth, it's hard to believe that you painted them on without the before and after photos!  :blink:

• Like 2

Thanks, LittleBluberry.  There's a lot of layers to get those gradual transitions.

I spent some time building a base for our pirate out of balsa wood.  I figured a pirate needs a ship, so I built part of the deck.  I gave it a slight tilt so it seemed like it was rocking back and forth on the sea.

B10.JPGB12.JPG

With the base built, I could finally attach his other hand.  It was important to have the ground, so I could make sure the point would rest against it and not be floating or causing one of his legs to come up either.  With that done, I got back to painting.  I worked on some small sections, like the rest of his sleeve and then the hand I just attached.  I used the same sickly pale colors that I'd used on his face.  I then painted the beard and used some ink glazes to add a bit more color to the skin.  Normally I used glazes of red, purple, and blue.  This time, with the slightly unnatural skin, I shifted those glazes to make them cooler.  So red became two parts red and one part purple and the purple glaze became 50/50 purple and blue.  The red-purple went on the nose, cheeks, and knuckles.  The purple-blue went under the eyes, in the deepest shadows of the cheeks, on the lips, and in some shadows on the hand.  The pure blue was used only slightly on the back of the hand where some veins are showing.  The effect is subtle, but you can see it when you compare with the previous images of the figure.

B14.JPGB15.JPGB16.JPGB17.JPG

• Like 11

I did a little work on the sword. It's certainly not finished, but I like where it's going.  It's hard to tell from the previous pictures, but the sword has barnacles sculpted on to it.  It's an interesting idea, but one thing that bothered me about the box art and sculpt is that it's just barnacles, no other texture. Seems to me if barnacles are growing on it, there would be a lot more corrosion going on. So I took a cue from Sproket (David Soper) and used the baking soda technique he's used on nurgle figures to add some more texture to the blade.  It's simple enough, mix your base paint and some matte varnish with baking soda to form a paste, then apply it to the figure.  The matte varnish helps keep the baking soda in place and, when it dries, you've got some nice texture on what was previously a smooth surface.  So now the swords looks like something the pirate has actually pulled from the ocean to intimidate and hack at his foes with.

This is a quick photo I took with my cell phone at the office, so the colors are a bit off and the lighting is terrible.  But you can still see enough to get an idea of how it looks.  I also took it from a slightly higher angles, so you can get a better look at the beard too.

post-13634-0-32942700-1450893655.jpg

• Like 7

That's a really cool trick with the matte varnish, paint, and baking soda thank you for sharing it!

Looking so awesome!

Thanks, Ub3r!

I continued working on the sword, using stippling to exaggerate the texture and bring the highlights up to a similar level as the rest of the figure.  Here are some better pictures of the figure

post-13634-0-40368700-1451332490.jpgpost-13634-0-12446700-1451332491.jpgpost-13634-0-85519300-1451332491.jpg

Since the figure is almost complete, I went back to work on the base. The main structure was previously built using balsa wood. To match the sword, I decided to add some texture to the side. I used pro-create (grey stuff) to create some barnacles there as well. Then I used the same baking soda + matte varnish technique to fill in the spaces around the barnacles. I also added some rope and a portion of the rigging. This was done using string. I used superglue to coat the strings and lock them in the desired shape. A bit of regular superglue can be helpful in attaching specific spots, but mostly I used thin super glue. This quickly soaks into the string and is really useful for fixing large sections. You've just got to be careful since it can get all over the place and you don't want to touch the strings as they'll be coated in glue. Needless to say, I got a lot on my hands and there were numerous times I almost glued the myself to the base! 

post-13634-0-79914400-1451332492.jpgpost-13634-0-88117700-1451332493.jpgpost-13634-0-88779600-1451332494.jpg

To create the long straight portions, I just taped the string to my work table and let it hang down. I taped a piece of balsa wood to the end for added weight to help keep them straight. Then I soaked the strings with thin superglue to lock in the shape. It's a good idea to put some paper down beneath the strings to catch any drips. Once dry, I simply clipped off the ends and cut it to the desired size. You could use brass rod if you needed the strength but, as you can see, they do a pretty good job of supporting themselves.

• Like 8