Talae

PS4 vs Xbox One: which is better for me?

Since Wii U was mentioned, I thought I'd chime in and add that Nintendo's next console is supposed to be announced at E3 2016.  We like ours, but we bought it a while ago now.  If we didn't have one, I'd wait for either the next gen or a really good sale. 

The most popular games for kids (Skylanders, Disney Infinity, etc.) tend to be available on multiple platforms. 

I am leaning towards the Xbox One pretty far now. Now to decide which bundle to go with. It seems like the Kinect bundle might save the most.

The only thing that has me leaning towards the PS4 is the cool factor of the Vader version. I wish there was a Fallout version of the Xbox One. 

To be clear, this is going on my wishlist and not sure it will be purchased, but one can hope. It was either this or an iPad Air going on the list for high end, maybe people will go in on a purchase, type gift.

• Like 1

Listen to Arc on the controller thing... I should have thought of that too, since my wife and I talked about it just last week. ::): She can't use the Xbox controllers for long without pain, while I find them incredibly comfortable. (Especially the first-gen ones that other people seem to make fun of.)

I use an Xbox controller on PC and am leaning towards the Xbox One due to that and the Kinect.

Thanks guys!

Yep, there it is.

And since you've been informed with no console war stuff, I (with no dog in the race) really strongly dislike the Playstation controller. Didn't grow up with the PS layout, started with the original Xbox. But it makes so much more sense to primarily have my thumbs over the same area on either side (move stick on the left and buttons on the right), rather than the PS controller's asymmetrical layout of left thumb down on the stick and right thumb up on the buttons. Like I said, I'd get a PS4 but for that (Dark Souls, Uncharted, etc).

Makes we wonder why no one has made/hacked a converter to allow the use of an Xbox controller on a Playstation (or vice versa).

A friend told me today that there is one and that he likes it. I don't think he said the name of the off-brand that makes it. He also mentioned that they have input converter things* that let you use the official controllers.

*highly technical terms and specific information is probably really useful

• Like 2

The question you should be asking yourself is: "How much do I like my privacy?" Xbox One has an always-on camera and microphone, and it's always connected to their service.

Jus' sayin'.

I'm pretty sure the camera is not always on, although it will be on when the console is on.  The microphone will be always on by default, but I believe you can disable the option to have the "Xbox On" voice command.  Personally I'm rather fond of the convenience, but I don't have a Xbox in my bedroom either. 

My laptop also has a camera that is always on when my computer is on.  If this sort of thing bothers you then you should get one of the do-dads that covers the camera.  (A friend of mine picked one up at black-hat.  No, he's not a hacker, but he pretends to be one because he's an anti-piracy, penetration testing guy.)

In the end, for every piece of technology there is a question of how much do you trust the company who made it.  With everything internet enabled that question becomes more relevant.  I'm going to stop now before I start ranting about hackable cars.  :;):

• Like 2

I have a PS4 and my son has the Xbox One. Game wise they're pretty much the same but the Xbox has a better menu system. Look to the exclusive games and if any of those appeal to you then get the system it belongs to.

• Like 1

The question you should be asking yourself is: "How much do I like my privacy?" Xbox One has an always-on camera and microphone, and it's always connected to their service.

Jus' sayin'.

Actually they have removed that "feature", you don't even have to have a Kinect hooked up to it anymore, unless you want to use the voice commands and other features of Kinect.

• Like 2

Actually they have removed that "feature", you don't even have to have a Kinect hooked up to it anymore, unless you want to use the voice commands and other features of Kinect.

Beat me to it! 

The always-on Kinect is one of the reasons I didn't get the XBone when it came out. I was especially suspicious of it because Microsoft had filed for a patent on a system that used a camera (system was specced out very much like the Kinect + XBox, from what I remember) to allow for per-viewer charges for video rentals. Basically, if you're a movie distributor, you could sign a deal with MS to rent movies based on the number of people watching. Same for live events. Want to watch the next UFC at home with some friends? Sure! $10 for a single watcher, $25 for 2-5 people, and $60 for 6+! Rented a movie at $3 for a single person to watch it, and your significant other decides to sit down and watch it with you? The camera'd see them and turn off the movie until they've left the room, or demand that you pay the extra fee for the extra person in the room.

I'd like to think I'm being paranoid but I couldn't think of any good reason for Microsoft to try to force everyone to accept an always-on Kinect except if you look at it as them trying to normalise the idea of having a camera attached to your entertainment system... If it had worked, I'm betting the next generation of XB would have included a new video service that allowed easy and cheap movie rentals, special events, etc... with the number of viewers enforced by Kinect. The always-on Kinect didn't work out this time but they're still doing everything they can to push it, and again, I can't see a good reason why they'd push it for the consumer's benefit - but plenty of reasons why they'd push it for their own benefit.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but honestly, I've been involved in high tech long enough (and spent enough time dealing with big businesses) to firmly believe the saying: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you." :wacko: Anyway. Just something to keep in mind if you're thinking of going with an XBone.

• Like 2

I don't know about the new controller, but the 360 controller is an angel in plastic form. Best controller I've ever used. So if the One is very close, it should be quite comfy.

The One fixed a lot of little things that I never noticed were an issue before, but now can't live without. The D-pad is slanted down, so it's easier to swipe your thumb across it. The sticks have this snazzy texture on the edges that act like a "no-slip" surface. The back triggers are also a lot wider!

Anything I wanted on XB1, I've gotten on PC with this controller. Rocket League is also ridiculously fun with a controller instead of a keyboard+mouse....

Edit: Saying "The One" is making me think of Neo now...

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 1

If you get the xbox go for the live account, it's about $60 a year but you get 2 free (selected by microsoft) games to download every month. I think PS has the same deal but not sure.

PSN Plus is $50 for a one year deal, and they have lots of deals and discounts if you're a Plus member, as well as free games.

Jus' sayin'.

They disabled it, the functionality is still there.

The biggest thing with the camera (aside from possible hackers) is that the Xbox can use it to determine how many people are in the room and raise the price on rented movies and games.

And since end user agreements change all the time, they can simply re-enable the camera being on anytime they want.

• Like 1