Recommendations for good Paint racks/storage

Hello Community!

I am in the market for a great painting storage option.  Paint racks, etc.  I am open to DIY or commercial options - really just looking for something that works well with Reaper/Vallejo paint bottles.

thanks!

• Like 3
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am about to order some from Back to Base-ix. I have been thoroughly impressed with what I have seen on their website, on these forums of people who own them and they come in both MDF and Acrylic. The acrylic is super custom options and the price is decent. 

I can't speak from experience owning them but they have a good foundation and compared to newer companies doing the same thing their prices are better.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

Here you go: Reaper's own Paint Caddy, only $19.99 and holds up to 112 paints. Also... if you buy during the 12-days of Reaper and add another $15.01 (for a total of $35) to your order you can get a free figure thrown in.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 4

Welcome to the forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

Here you go: Reaper's own Paint Caddy, only $19.99 and holds up to 112 paints. Also... if you buy during the 12-days of Reaper and add another $15.01 (for a total of $35) to your order you can get a free figure thrown in.

That paint caddy is amazing! They weren't in stock for a while, so I went and made a paint stand myself. My paint stand is similar in style to nail polish racks.

• Like 1

With a little bit of woodworking skill, you can make your own stepped rack.

I used a 1" forstner bit, and 1" x 2" aspen boards.  1" bit works for Vallejo and Reaper bottles.

I cut the aspen to length (about 2' boards, I think - that gives 15-16 holes for the pots), marked where I would drill (I think the marks were 1.5" away from one another, that leaves 1/2 " space between the bottles). 

Each step was 2 depths of aspen, to allow for wood glue to hold each row.  Then I used pieces for legs on the back.  I have 6 rows (two sets of triads), and I have no idea how long it is.

If I do it again I might use a 1 1/8 forstner bit to give a little more room for the bottles (I'm not in fear of them tipping over, and right now I can tilt the rack well over 45 degrees without worrying about paints falling out.

A very simple visual representation is below (if the formatting holds):

_

|_

|_

|_

Materials:

1 x 2 aspen boards

saw to cut the boards to length

Wood glue

clamps

Forstner bit

drill press

a couple screw nails for securing the legs on the back

sandpaper

• Like 2
  • Members

Look up Woodbitz on Etsy..  you want a 1.25" outer diameter.. holds 100 bottles..  I also have a paint caddy.. at least until I add display room for another 100+ bottles..

I also built one using hand tools:

http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/61662-samuraijack-builds-a-paint-rack/?hl=samuraijack

• Like 2

I made my first one, which was great, it held every single paint I owned at the time with room to spare! I made it for 15$ and stained it myself. 

Then I needed more space. I hunted around for good prices and size and came across impudentmortal. I met them at Cmon and bought one of their wallracks for 35$ and it holds 135 paints. You will have to put it together, which will gauge how long it'll last. I sanded down my edges where I used glue so it'd stick better, and it's pretty darn sturdy. I intend to buy a second one soon. 

Edit: They carry a nice variety of racks that are to a painters varying tastes. One is so that you see the bottom of the bottles only, one is for the tips only. Mine is for tips since that's how i've always gauged the colors. 

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 2

I used double wide boards with an MDF board in the middle.  I used clear corner bead for the shelf.  Cut the shelf dados with a hand saw.  Screwed the sides to top and bottom.  Thus a double sided paint rack.  The duplicated colors go on the back with the little used colors like florescent orange.  When kickstarter 3 gets here I might be tight for paints.

• Like 1

I am about to order some from Back to Base-ix. I have been thoroughly impressed with what I have seen on their website, on these forums of people who own them and they come in both MDF and Acrylic. The acrylic is super custom options and the price is decent. 

I can't speak from experience owning them but they have a good foundation and compared to newer companies doing the same thing their prices are better.

I have these racks and I like them. The shipping cost to the US will make you choke though. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is getting the track with drawers underneath it. I can rarely open them because I constantly have stuff on my desk blocking them. I would have been better off with another row for paint. If you would like to see them you can follow this link to my blog post: http://www.wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/search/label/Workroom

I did a significant amount of research at the time I purchased these and I felt that they were the best choice on the market at the time.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 2

I have these racks and I like them. The shipping cost to the US will make you choke though. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is getting the track with drawers underneath it. I can rarely open them because I constantly have stuff on my desk blocking them. I would have been better off with another row for paint. If you would like to see them you can follow this link to my blog post: http://www.wargamesandrailroads.blogspot.com/search/label/Workroom

I did a significant amount of research at the time I purchased these and I felt that they were the best choice on the market at the time.

BOOM! I could not remember the blog but it was Heisler Blog that really got me over the hump of using Back to Base-ix stuff. Those pictures are gold! And thanks for the tip on the bottom shelf. That is a keen observation!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums! 

Welcome to the forum!

That paint caddy is amazing! They weren't in stock for a while, so I went and made a paint stand myself. My paint stand is similar in style to nail polish racks.

Agreed with this. I have the whole Scale 75 set in one caddy, Reaper and Vallejo in another, and will need more when my dropper bottles get here for my polly S and Partha and GW stuff.

These are great, because if you go to a friends or your FLGS to paint, close the top and go....

George

• Like 1