Recommendations for good Paint racks/storage

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those bottom drawers are for terrain, supplies, or minis that you can rotate through the display.  Keep some in the drawers and bring them out as seasonally or mood appropriate.

Paint up a bunch for Xmas, Halloween, Valentines Day, etc.

• Like 3

I need a new paint rack or idea...

This is my current setup:

paintrack.jpg

It's also not all of my paint. I have two of these, full, but no space for them on my table:

71zHeyrX0hL._SY355_.jpg

The space I have available is where the first rack is which is several two-tier lazy susan spice racks  put together to form a four-tier. The problem is you notice those bent blinds in the back? Yeah, that's from a catty-cat-cat named Blaze who likes to walk on my paint rack and knock everything off:grr:

And, honestly, I'm out of room for paint. I can't hang anything up because I need to be able to easily reach the paint. I've looked at the step style, but they take up a lot of room and don't hold as much. I have over 300 bottles of paint.

Pfeh. Darn cats and space limitations.

• Like 4

I am using a seven drawer rolling wood storage cabinet. It is the same height as my painting table and the drawers are just a bit taller than a reaper paint bottle. I paint the top of the caps so the drawers work perfectly for me. I have space for all my paints (almost all of the available Reaper colors, plus a bunch of others) and still have two drawers for other stuff. I should be able to fit all of the soon to be released paints in the existing paint drawers. I have them loosely organized by color. So far this is the best solution I have come up with and gives me an additional flat surface to work on (or heap with "stuff" as is my nature.)

• Like 1

I would like to add a rolling drawer tower for general storage and the odd paints that do not go to the vertical organizer. Coincidentally, I just got an email and since commerce tips are not allowed, you all looking for some storage solutions should check Michaels' website  :;):

I see nothing useful there for paint pots, however  :down:

• Like 2

So painting a bust for my lady had an unintended benefit. She said we really need to snag some kind of display case now, so she can see it. Win!Unfortunately, my house is small. Because this is the lead contender:HEMNESGlass-door cabinet with 3 drawers, black-brown

hemnes-glass-door-cabinet-with-drawers-b

I'd have to rig up some lighting, but it has adjustable shelves (wonder if they sell extra shelves?) and the drawers for extra storage because I don't want to get down on my knees to see minis on the lower shelves. And the wood is close to my furniture stain.

They do sell extra shelves and you can get glass shelves for it to. I have the lighting for my Billy bookcases with glass doors but I'm waiting until I get the glass shelves before hooking it up.

You can get strips of LEDs for pretty cheap on Amazon. I have LEDs strips and a dimmer for them.

• Like 2

So painting a bust for my lady had an unintended benefit. She said we really need to snag some kind of display case now, so she can see it. Win!Unfortunately, my house is small. Because this is the lead contender:HEMNESGlass-door cabinet with 3 drawers, black-brown

I'd have to rig up some lighting, but it has adjustable shelves (wonder if they sell extra shelves?) and the drawers for extra storage because I don't want to get down on my knees to see minis on the lower shelves. And the wood is close to my furniture stain.

They do sell extra shelves and you can get glass shelves for it to. I have the lighting for my Billy bookcases with glass doors but I'm waiting until I get the glass shelves before hooking it up.

You can get strips of LEDs for pretty cheap on Amazon. I have LEDs strips and a dimmer for them.

Any tips on which LED strips? I have two of those display cabinets from Ikea (like the ones at Reaper) and would love some lighting in them, but don't want them to be too dim or too bright. 

• Like 2

Any tips on which LED strips? I have two of those display cabinets from Ikea (like the ones at Reaper) and would love some lighting in them, but don't want them to be too dim or too bright.

Thats why I got a dimmer. i went with bright white LEDs. I'll send you a pm with a link to the ones I ended up getting. If you have a Costco card, they have some in a 6 pack with a remote control. If I'd known that to begin with that's what I would have gone with. Much simpler. Edited by tiniest rhombus
  • Like 2

Alright, so I got my two Impudent Mortal wall hanging paint bottle racks in the mail yesterday.  I had to run and get some 5 min epoxy (the glue they recommend to put it together) and then I got the instructions from their website and sat down to put them together.

The process went quickly and the pieces all fit really well.  It only took me about 10 minutes to put each rack together.  I let them sit for about 15 minutes to let the epoxy dry and then started organizing.

They are well built, fit plenty of paint bottles, both Vallejo and Reaper and freed up tons of space on my desk!  Super happy with these racks.  Thank you all for the suggestions.

I think I am going to get some 0.25 or 0.5 inch diameter white circle dot labels and put the initials of the paint color on the bottom of the bottle.  That way I can see the color and, for Splattered Crimson, "SC".

post-14684-0-31081900-1452453953_thumb.jpg

Edited by edz16
  • Like 7

I know this post is old but thought id comment just so that it is archived and updated for others who may find it helpful. I know paint racks are a holy grail for those of us in the hobby. It's very hard to find a good paint storage solution, and when you do, they usually aren't affordable. 

I recently bought a few of these on Etsy and the price is GREAT and the quality is awesome! https://www.etsy.com/listing/570263298/imperial-paint-rack-linear-mdf?ref=shop_home_feat_3&pro=1&frs=1

Edited by woj1s
  • Like 1