My goal is to finish this one by the end of 2016. I've been working on it since summer, and I've only gotten this far, so I hope I'm not putting too much pressure on myself!

Planning stages:

My inspiration -

ultros.jpg

My MSPaint skillz -

77194_cthulhu_test.jpg

My basing skillz -
I used some Sculpey on my then brand new Basius Plaguelands stamp. (That tells you how long this thing has been sitting around waiting for me.) I mashed together various sections to make a nice swampy area. I'll glue the integral base to the void, and fill with greenstuff prior to priming.

77194_cthulhu_base.jpg

Mr. Bathalian will be sort of a testbed for the color scheme I want to use on the big man himself.

Badly overprimed in Army Painter Alien Purple -

77020_bathalian_primed.jpg

Badly over-washed in Nightmare Black, staff based in I think Concrete Grey -

77020_bathalian_washed.jpg

Blocked primary sections in what I imagine are the main colors I want to use -

Inner robe: based with Rich Indigo, shaded with Nightmare Black, and highlighted with Gem Purple. Future highlights will go pale purple-ish.
Outer robe: based with Witchcraft Purple, shade will probably be Rich Indigo, and highlights will go to pink-ish.
Skin: based with Cactus Flower, shade TBD, highlights to white-ish.
Staff: needs to be more bone-ish, future TBD.

77020_bathalian_blocked.jpg

More to come-ish!

Edited by Emli
  • Like 18
  • 3 weeks later...

Minor update:

77194_cthulhu_filled.jpg

Base epoxy-ed to wood. Glue added to body. Tail gaps filled with Milliput. I had a bunch of extra leftover, so I made a log. Yay? I skipped the arm gaps because they kind of look like they're supposed to have a gap. Head and wings will stay separate until later. I dread potential wing gap filling. Ugh.

77020_bathalian_robe.jpg

While that was curing, I spent way too much time playing with mini-squid's inner robe.

Dark -> Light
Nightmare Black
Rich Indigo
Gem Purple
Gem Purple + Blue Flame

The Blue Flame did weird things to the Gem Purple, probably because it was new and not mixed enough yet. I'd glaze to smooth it, then lose definition. My last bit before I stopped messing with it was to deepen the shadows. I lost some of the mid purple-ish to blue-ish shadow, so I want to play with that some before I move on to make sure I have my darker violet patches nailed down.

77194_cthulhu_primed.jpg

While I was at work, my photographer and primer minion gave the elder squid a light dusting of Alien Purple. I was happy to see his filled gaps were nicely hidden. His nethers need some love still, but overall, is good.

Up next:
- I need to give my log a little texture, glue it to the base, and then prime the non-wood parts of the base. Probably just black, because swamp. The wood bits will be stained eventually, unless I change my mind.
- Bring back the purple of the inner robe, maybe a tiny bit higher highlights (Thanks, Contrast Police  :rolleyes:). Then, on to the outer robe.

Edited by Emli
  • Like 9
  • 2 months later...

2 sessions to report on! Because I see that I forgot to actually post the one from last time.

Session the first -

77020_bathalian_progress.jpg

Higher highlights on inner robes: mainly Gem Purple with Blue Flame, glazed down with Rich Indigo where necessary.
Outer robes: Nightmare Black, Rich Indigo, Witchcraft Purple, and Cactus Flower. Too pink, needs to go back to the purple side. I failed to get a picture of his backside, so see below, but more pink.

Session the second -

77020_bathalian_progress2.jpg

77020_bathalian_progress3.jpg

Glazed some Clear Blue over the outer robes to get it back to the purple side. A little more Cactus Flower on top of that for a slight pink cast.
Realized that I forgot to do the bits of inner robe sleeves poking out of the outer robe sleeves. They don't exactly match because of the *mumble* days long break in between, but close enough.
Decided I needed to do accessory bits before I do his skin. Decided on Aged Bone for a basecoat, and then experimented with a few wash colors before settling on Umber Brown for an aged-er bone look. Highlights will go up through bone-y colors. Clearly, my poor primer job ate a lot of the detail on the robe edging. Oh well.

Big Poppa Squid is giving me dirty looks from his perch. He wants to know when I'll actually get to him. Someday, promise!

Edited by Emli
  • Like 5