This is the 2nd row house for my western town of Calamity and I finished it off over the weekend. I tried out a couple of different techniques and materials but overall the build is almost the same as the first row house I built. Primary components are; foamed PVC sheets and commercial parts for the doors and windows. I used a wood shingle for the roof which lent itself to slightly different style of weathering than I use on a paper or cardstock shingle. I'm still up in the air on the usefulness of chipping fluid to create chipped paint and a lot of the chips are actually painted on. Another completed build for Calamity. Here are some pictures of the build along with links to the relevant sections of my blog. If you dig a little bit you can find the blog posts for the 1st version of the row house.

]Calamity.RowHouse2.1.1.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.2.1.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.2.1.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.3.1.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.4.15.jpg

CAM06577.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.5.2.jpg

• Like 16

Nice building.

I love it when people create something like this from some foam and parts.

Wish i had more room to try this too.

I can barely display my minis let alone a town, ( ooh I want a Gothic Graveyard..luckily Bones III is coming for me)

Edited by Xherman1964

That's excellent!  The wood shingles look perfect--shape, style, and weathering.  For the walls, are you just (ha, "just" he says) scoring the paper and denting for the wood grain?

The walls aren't paper its a material called foamed PVC and it comes in sheets. It cuts easier than sheet plastic and I can still use my plastruct weld liquid cement on it. I score the planks with a knife blade and then the wood grain with a razor saw.

LOOKIN' GOOD! Your creation has an authentic Old West feel to it...a GREAT build, BEAUTIFULLY painted. OUTSTANDING WORK!

Making some curtains for the windows would eliminate the need to do interior details.

I need the interior details, where are all my cowboys and civilian types going to hide during gun battles? I'm actually contemplating interior lighting for some of these buildings as well. I just have to figure out how to make kerosene lantern and lamps.

Edited by Heisler

Very cool!

I'm willing to bet that someplace like Scenic Express has lighting stuff that would work....

Those bricks you are using as weights look like they would hold dropper bottles of paint, thus doing double duty...

Do they fit?

G

I have checked all the usual suspects for lighting. Getting lights and how to do it isn't the problem its installing them into something that looks at least somewhat appropriate for the period. All I have been able to find at this point is some rather expensive pewter castings that would require me to both install lighting and make replace the pewter with glass or plastic where necessary. I'm messing around with beads right now.

Where did you get the windows and doors?

For this set of buildings I used windows and doors from Grandt Line from their S Scale architectural line. Basically any window with the right dimensions will work regardless of scale, doors can be a bit trickier. Tichy Train Group also makes a line of S Scale doors and windows that I have used on occasion.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By CaptainPete
      Deadlands is a series of Role Playing Games based around alternative history, with the major change taking place on July 3rd, 1863. This change, called The Reckoning, made the US Civil War grind to a halt, resulted in half of California fall into the sea, and had a new miracle substance called Ghost Rock revolutionize technology. The game has used different rules systems; including the original "classic" system, Savage Worlds, a new system that is/was releasing soon, a d20 conversion, and had a GURPS port.
      The Weird West - Beginning in 1876, players would wander around the Weird West, full of monsters, gunfighters, agents of the United States of America, Confederate States of America, the United Kingdom, the Empire of Mexico, the Dominion of Canada, and Lost Angels, might get involved in the Great Rail Wars, get lost in the Sioux Nations, or confront the creations of the New Science.
      The Wasted West - It's 2094 and the world is almost over. Irradiated Ghost Rock bombs, as well as conventional nuclear weapons, were dropped on major cities all over the globe. The east of the Mississippi  river is full of the Walkin' Dead, the city of Lost Angels has fallen into the Pacific Ocean, and the only place where people can eek out a living is the west. Using Spook Juice, you can travel the collapsing highways from Junkyard to the ruins of Boise, and all points in between, traveling with Templars, Tellers, Cyborgs, Toxic Shamans, Sykers, and Junkmen.
      The Way Out West - The final part of the original trilogy of settings, this one is set on Banshee, the first alien world colonized by humanity. Of course, there were native people there first, and history has repeated itself again. Take up a badge and defend the colonists, or rob them instead, or maybe try to work with the natives, now that no one from Earth is coming to help. Ever.
      Deadlands: Noir - Set in the period between World Wars, centered around New Orleans, this was the first new game and first one done in the Savage Worlds system.

So, I made this thread so folks could talk about games they're run/played, ask questions about the setting and system(s), or just share their love for the game.

• By Glitterwolf
      Started painting my Townhouse from Tabletop World.

Scale 75 Inktense Wood.

• By Mckenna35
      Found this and thought I'd pass on:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/highnoongame/high-noon-a-wild-west-combat-tactical-board-game/description

FYI the game components graphic near the top show what you get if you go "all in" NOT what's in a standard box.
    • By Rob Dean
      After a painting hiatus of a couple of weeks, I sat down this morning and finished off this SOLID resin building from Apocalypse Miniatures.  As best I can tell, the roofing is supposed to be sawn sections of log, but, as with some of my previous buildings, I don’t necessarily want the roof to be faded to a gray indistinguishable from the stone work, so it’s a “wargame conventional brown”. 

So, the village progresses.  This is #3 of 10 of what I got in the Apocalypse Kickstarter, and 4 of 12 of the resin building upgrade project (with Tabletop World providing the other two).

I hope to have them on the table in a battle soon.
    • By Rob Dean
      I haven’t really been getting a lot of painting done, but I sat down at my painting desk the other day and noticed that I had two buildings sitting over in one corner, neglected for a couple of months, and decided to start adding paint.

This one is from Apocalypse Miniatures.  They ran a Kickstarter back in 2017, and my brother and I both ended up backing this.  In my case, I backed it to the extent of 10 buildings, of which this is the second I have finished. The first was back in November.

In general, this wasn’t too bad to paint.  The little detail bits molded into the base look nice in the pictures, but I would really prefer that they were not sculpted in; it detracts from the flexibility of the building somewhat.  Sizewise, these are a little small for Reaper figures, and are probably intended for a 28mm scale (e.g. Metal Magic, mid-period Citadel, later Ral Partha), but that’s always negotiable when deploying scenery.  This building is a SOLID block of resin, so the game will be played around it rather than through it, and I would as soon buildings in that mode be a bit underscale anyway.  When I say solid, I put it on my kitchen scale, and it’s just a bit over two pounds (935g for those in countries with sensible measurement systems).  You wouldn’t want to drop it on your toe.

As for the building name, that’s how it is spelled on their web site...

• Who's Online   8 Members, 2 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)