Sign in to follow this  
Heisler

A Row House for Calamity

This is the 2nd row house for my western town of Calamity and I finished it off over the weekend. I tried out a couple of different techniques and materials but overall the build is almost the same as the first row house I built. Primary components are; foamed PVC sheets and commercial parts for the doors and windows. I used a wood shingle for the roof which lent itself to slightly different style of weathering than I use on a paper or cardstock shingle. I'm still up in the air on the usefulness of chipping fluid to create chipped paint and a lot of the chips are actually painted on. Another completed build for Calamity. Here are some pictures of the build along with links to the relevant sections of my blog. If you dig a little bit you can find the blog posts for the 1st version of the row house.

]Calamity.RowHouse2.1.1.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.2.1.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.2.1.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.3.1.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.4.15.jpg

CAM06577.jpg

Calamity.RowHouse2.5.2.jpg

• Like 16

Wow. That roof looks great!

Your work on the buildings for the town of Calamity is an inspiration for my own feeble efforts of town building.

That's excellent!  The wood shingles look perfect--shape, style, and weathering.  For the walls, are you just (ha, "just" he says) scoring the paper and denting for the wood grain?

LOOKIN' GOOD! Your creation has an authentic Old West feel to it...a GREAT build, BEAUTIFULLY painted. OUTSTANDING WORK!

Making some curtains for the windows would eliminate the need to do interior details.

Nice building.

I love it when people create something like this from some foam and parts.

Wish i had more room to try this too.

I can barely display my minis let alone a town, ( ooh I want a Gothic Graveyard..luckily Bones III is coming for me)

Edited by Xherman1964

That's excellent!  The wood shingles look perfect--shape, style, and weathering.  For the walls, are you just (ha, "just" he says) scoring the paper and denting for the wood grain?

The walls aren't paper its a material called foamed PVC and it comes in sheets. It cuts easier than sheet plastic and I can still use my plastruct weld liquid cement on it. I score the planks with a knife blade and then the wood grain with a razor saw.

LOOKIN' GOOD! Your creation has an authentic Old West feel to it...a GREAT build, BEAUTIFULLY painted. OUTSTANDING WORK!

Making some curtains for the windows would eliminate the need to do interior details.

I need the interior details, where are all my cowboys and civilian types going to hide during gun battles? I'm actually contemplating interior lighting for some of these buildings as well. I just have to figure out how to make kerosene lantern and lamps.

Edited by Heisler

Very cool!

I'm willing to bet that someplace like Scenic Express has lighting stuff that would work....

Those bricks you are using as weights look like they would hold dropper bottles of paint, thus doing double duty...

Do they fit?

G

I have checked all the usual suspects for lighting. Getting lights and how to do it isn't the problem its installing them into something that looks at least somewhat appropriate for the period. All I have been able to find at this point is some rather expensive pewter castings that would require me to both install lighting and make replace the pewter with glass or plastic where necessary. I'm messing around with beads right now.

Where did you get the windows and doors?

For this set of buildings I used windows and doors from Grandt Line from their S Scale architectural line. Basically any window with the right dimensions will work regardless of scale, doors can be a bit trickier. Tichy Train Group also makes a line of S Scale doors and windows that I have used on occasion.

• Like 1

Purty roof.

Of course, the rest of the house is no slouch, either.

I always figured my wild west town didn't need houses. It had a saloon; what else did it need?

That's a trick question! Obviously a second saloon and third saloon with the cat house.

That's about the size of it. I have designs for at least two saloons and a "hotel".  :devil:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BLZeebub
      This is something I started working on a looong time ago.  I finally made the push to get it done and get it out--probably donating it to one of the FLGSs.  WIP  here:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/87566-ruined-building-terrain-pic-heavy-ish/
      I wasn't trying to get too, too fancy with this.  Rather I began with the intent to see how quickly I could make a good enough piece of terrain.  Had I not taken a year-long hiatus from it I may have succeeded, as I think that barring drying times I have around.
      You can see a Bones skele or to lurking around for scale.  I was having a challenging time with my camera and the lighting (room is kind of in disarray at the moment), so I have a few different exposures here.
      Had a lot of fun with the fiddly bits like the graffiti, wire conduit, and dead plants.
      In the fist and second pics you can even see one of my new backgrounds in the...background--too bad I made it for a standard mini, not a large building.
      Questions, comments, critiques welcome!

• By Alwyn
      I decided to add a new level to my games and step it up with scale models, I started to build some of the models for Dragon Heist. I thought the ware house from chapter one came out nicely. Here are some pics. 
      I used foam core and stained some balsa and bass wood, then carved some extra pieces from insulation foam. I used plaster for the walls and the base layers for the outside yard. I printed some generic crates to fill the ware house.  

• By Jordan Peacock
      Okay, so this isn't so much a "conversion" as it is an "appropriation."  I had #77470 "Elthin Bluesteel, Gunslinger" (Pathfinder Bones) in my box o' Kickstarter Bones, while I was digging through to find anything that might even remotely look appropriate for a "Wild West" scenario.  Sure, he's got some crazy boots, a big ol' dagger, and some sort of leather armor layered thing going on with his torso area, but he's got a gun, a cowboy hat, and a drape to one side that feels kind of Eastwood-ish to me. 

He also suffers from a wee bit of "melty face," as there's next-to-no definition to that face, and I'm still not even sure where the eyes were supposed to be, exactly.  In my case, though, that only inspired me to notice that the details for his leather armor, etc., were so shallow that most of the parts incongruous to a cowboy gunslinger could probably just be painted over.  He's not going to win any contests, but looks passable as another pistol-toting gunslinger in just another ordinary western town.  (In this case, it would be the Flats outside quasi-historic Fort Griffin, as interpreted by Dog House Rules LLC in their "Frontier Towns: Fort Griffin" supplement.  I based the scratch-built building off of a floor plan by Karl Keesler, and it's the central piece to a mini-adventure pulled from the book.)

Anyway, I just think there's something ... amusing? ... about when I can delve into Reaper's regular fantasy line and find something that would work perfectly well for other genres.  For some subjects, there's nothing terribly special about it: A fox is a fox, a bird is a bird, a dog is a dog, a cat is a cat, and it's not the least bit surprising that a pack of little animal familiars in the fantasy line would work just as well as pets for a modern or historic or even sci-fi setting (we just pretend that they're REPLICANT animals, or we paint them in funky colors).  Plus, there are a number of D&D-ish monsters that bear no resemblance to anything recognizable from well-known myths and such -- and the only reason we think of them as "fantasy" was because Gary Gygax found a bunch of cheap plastic imported Kaiju toys and transformed them into "owlbears" and "rust monsters" and so forth for D&D, and "D&D is fantasy," so that's that.

Still, somehow there's something "neat" about digging through a big box o' Kickstarter Bones, picking up some barbarian model, and realizing that if only I swap his bendy axe with a spare 40K POWER AXE, and paint up his armor plates to look like scrap metal (maybe with some paper-printed license plates and stop signs glued on), he'd make a GREAT post-apocalyptic raider type, etc.  Or, some beast-man monster type could just as easily be some sort of pulp-universe alien, if only I paint up his armor a little differently and stick a ray-gun in his hand.  And one of these days I'm going to turn that Mantis Assassin into a Kamen Rider.  ;)

Oh yeah, and as for the building: That's scratch-built from foam-core, cardstock (for raised details such as window and door frames), mat board, craft sticks, chopsticks (for the porch pillars), and wire, decorated with some Hirst Arts Castlemolds castings (for the porch furniture).
    • By Maledrakh
      “Off to off the wizard”
      The figures are from Reaper Bones KS3, “Chronoscope Wild West Oz”.  Since they all were armed, I see this as a sort of hit squad, hence the title.
      I based them on 30mm round display bases from Reaper, and I 3d Printed a 20mm round in a similar style for Toto.
      Since not only the Tin Man, but also the flying monkey are obvious metal robots, I think “Weird West Oz” or even “Steampunk Oz” would be a more fitting moniker.

The miniatures are made in the slightly harder Bonesium, henceforth to be known as Better Bones™. Since the third Bones kickstarter, all Chronoscope Bones are coloured grey,
      The Flying Monkey, Lion, Tin Man and Scarecrow are sculpted by Bob Ridolfi, with Dorothy and Toto by Julie Guthrie. Only the Scarecrow seems to be released in Bones as of yet.

• By Darsc Zacal
      I've backed a previous Blackwater Gulch kickstarter and been pleased with what I received.

• Who's Online   15 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)