Sign in to follow this  
evilcoatrack

Custom 3D Printed Female Elf Monk

Wow. That's excellent paintwork you've done there.

I know what you mean about the texture. Heroforge attended PAXPrime a couple of years ago and I was able to get a hands on look at many of their figures and while the posing and detailing was nice, that rough texturing was a dealbreaker as far as I was concerned.

• Like 4

I doubt you'd get the look of the bumps out with a sealer - I sprayed these with dullcote before taking the picture.  You might achieve a smoother finish if you used a brush-on sealer, but I think you'd still see the change in texture beneath the clear coat.

• Like 1

Very nice paintjob.

Considering the price of these things, the texture is a dealbreaker for me.

I'd rather convert an excisting mini to match what I would want.

However it is a nice technology, it will get better in the future I guess.

• Like 4

I'd rather convert an excisting mini to match what I would want.

However it is a nice technology, it will get better in the future I guess.

There are 3D Printers that can print things directly without these kind of defects now.

They are so expensive they are not economically feasible for this target price though.

They see a lot of use in prototyping machine parts right now.

The wax 3D printers have this resolution now as well but you have to lost wax cast off the printed wax object to get something durable so the customer price on that method is too high to sell well.

Shapeways does this now but the cost is much higher than their other options.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 2

Is that the frosted ultra detail version?

Yeah, it's the detail plastic version.  They cost $25 before shipping.

99$ for one 28mm figure is just crazy. 

That's only if you get it in bronze - this version is the detail plastic.

99$ for one 28mm figure is just crazy.

That's only if you get it in bronze - this version is the detail plastic.

From what I can find they print through Shapeways so the best detail option would be brass.

They use a higher resolution wax 3D printer and do a lost wax cast in brass using that printing so you get really good detail.

It costs even more than shapeways sintered metal options though.

I can't tell if Heroforge offer that option though because their website needs webgl and that does not work on this Windows XP computer at work.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 1

I'm really amazed at how 3D technology has come along.  The first time I ever saw an example of it was when my dad was still working at John Deere as an engineer in the Waterloo Tractor Works; an early version of it was used for prototyping shapes designed in CAD/CAM systems.  One novelty he brought home to me was a test model that was a little castle tower cast in a weird, semi-translucent amber-yellow plastic.  The novelty part was that it had a spiral staircase you could see through the intermittent windows.  There was just no way such a model could be made as a one-piece cast using traditional methods at the time.  The "scan lines" (I didn't know what else to call them) were incredibly prominent, though -- though given the subject matter (a castle tower), I initially mistook it for an attempt at detailing the brick construction.  :)

It's amazing how more detailed the models are now ... and yet it's still not quite at the point where I'd seriously entertain buying a custom model.  I fear that either: a) I simply wouldn't have the painting skill to do justice to such an expensive model, or b) Even if I DID have the skill, the model wouldn't have the DETAIL to work well with my painting methods, or c) The thing would be so fragile it wouldn't survive for very long either way.

Thank goodness for Bones soft plastic and (relatively) easy conversions.  ;)

I love the paint job on this figure, by the way.  Fuzz or not, I wish my miniatures painting came out with that level of refinement!  

My only critique really would be the matter of the sculpt: It's a peeve of mine to see hands clasping weapons that are so ridiculously thick, compared to the hands gripping them.  Either that staff pinches into a graspable bottleneck right where the character's hand is holding it, or those fingers are tapeworm-flat in order to wrap around that thick staff.  If it weren't a $99 model (yipe!) my first instinct would be to trim that staff right off, drill a pin hole through the hand, and run some paperclip wire through the hole at either end.  If there's any texture on the staff, I'd lose it ... but from the picture, it looks as if all of the staff's wood-grain texture is only through your excellent painting, rather than any sculpted detail.

• Like 2

Smooth-On - XTC-3D may be just the thing to smooth the prints. Also, as it's an epoxy, it should be possible to file or sand it to adjust where needed.

(I do a bit of 3D printing myself, and have the XTC-3D stuff, but haven't tried it yet, so fingers crossed)

Note that there are 'home'(read: barely affordable) printers that can print with a layer resolution of 50microns now, but that figure was probably printed at 100microns.

(I would have liked to see a 'before' picture)

From what I can find they print through Shapeways so the best detail option would be brass.

I can't tell if Heroforge offer that option though because their website needs webgl and that does not work on this Windows XP computer at work.

I got through to their material options page and compared them to shapeways materials options from home.

Their bronze option is good for the same reason I recommended brass before.

I don't remember the cast bronze option, it might be new since the last time I checked shapeways materials.

This is shapeways description of the bronze process for reference.

Bronze models are fabricated using a complex five-step process. First, the model is printed in wax using a specialized high-resolution 3D Printer. It is then put in a container where liquid plaster is poured in around it. Once the plaster sets, the wax is melted out in a furnace, and the remaining plaster becomes the mold.

Molten bronze is poured into this mold and hardens quickly. The plaster is broken away, revealing your model. Raw Bronze is briefly tumbled. Polished Bronze is carefully cleaned and hand-polished. Please be aware that polishing can wear down very fine details and edges.

Their polished bronze does look good I don't know if I would paint one if I had one.

bronze-miniature.jpg

Edited by arclance
  • Like 1