Sign in to follow this  
arch72

New to Painting Miniatures

I think you're off to a damn good start. The basing is excellent.

What kind of paints are you using? Your paint looks a bit thick in some places - are you thinning them at all?

Thanks I am using Reaper paints. But I wasn't sure about thinning them they seem so thin already.

I update the post with the names of the miniatures sorry I didn't do this at first.I am such a newb lol

Edited by ladystorm
  • Like 1

Yeah, you're doing just fine so far.  Knarthex with custom base is a pretty epic first mini.  Excellent basing on both.  Looks like you've got the hands and eyes for it, now it's time to add some depth with a quick wash in places and pick up some highlighting techniques.  You'll be great....fast apparently.

• Like 3

Brush control? Check. Really great for your first paint jobs. Now that you've got the paint where you want it you can start playing with other techniques. Find out what works best for you, and how far you want to push your painting. Welcome to the boards. I look forward to seeing what else you come up with. Cheers.

You've picked, in my opinion, the best community of people on the interwebz to get your paint on with. Don't ever be afraid to share your work or ask questions. There are a lot of great, and insanely talented, people on this board.

• Like 3

WELCOME ABOARD! You are off to an OUTSTANDING start. The miniatures are BEAUTIFULLY painted & IMAGINATIVELY based. TERRIFIC WORK!

Omg, the paladin's expression is awesome :lol: like he's being pinched in a Very Sensitive Place :lol:

Also, I think I know how I want to paint my dragon... Yours is beautiful ^_^

• Like 2

Welcome to our Asylum away from Home!

Great job on the minis as others have said, and super job on the bases!

When you do a wash for shading, you will want to thin down the paint about 5 to1 or so, that way it flows down into the deep spots, and flows off the high spots.

As for colors, to start you will usually use a darker shade of your base color.

So on the Anti Paladin, the blue that you used for the cape could be used for the light blue on the other parts, for example.  If you don't have a darker shade, you can try adding a little black to some colors to darken them. But be careful, as the way paints mix can sometimes have unexpected results! Always test on a piece of sprue or the bottom of a base first!

Flesh tones depend on what type of skin you are doing, many commercially sold 'Flesh Washes' are usually a Chestnut and or Red Brown color for Caucasion skin.

Metallics are a little different. Black is the most common wash over silver colors, a dark or chestnut brown for golds.

After the wash, you can go over the high parts with a fine pointed brush with your base color to bring the high lights up. This will give you the basic Shade, Mid Tone, High Light that is the building block for all the rest of creating the illusion of reality on a mini.

There are many great tips and tricks on this part of the website, The Craft.

I am particularly fond of this one on painting eyes.

Most people hate painting eyes, and this makes it a lot less painful.

So post more pics, ask questions and enjoy the hobby!

This is a fantastic start and your in a great place on these support, lots of friendly advice and support. Well done on your painting