New to Painting Miniatures

arch72

Echoing other comments, mostly. Great control, great basing. One thing to add, though: if you thought the paint was very thin to begin with, really make sure that you check out paint:water ratios when it comes to washes. They should be VERY thin. Nobody wants you to think you've gone thin enough and then find out that you're using what might be a standard thinned paint that will fully cover your well-placed base colors instead of just sinking into the recesses.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you're doing just fine so far.  Knarthex with custom base is a pretty epic first mini.  Excellent basing on both.  Looks like you've got the hands and eyes for it, now it's time to add some depth with a quick wash in places and pick up some highlighting techniques.  You'll be great....fast apparently.

You caught me out BLZeebub, that is my my REAL self, the Drow is just my shape shifted form so I can consort with you all!

Yeah, you're doing just fine so far.  Knarthex with custom base is a pretty epic first mini.  Excellent basing on both.  Looks like you've got the hands and eyes for it, now it's time to add some depth with a quick wash in places and pick up some highlighting techniques.  You'll be great....fast apparently.

You caught me out BLZeebub, that is my my REAL self, the Drow is just my shape shifted form so I can consort with you all!

Woops!  You all know who I mean, but beware of Drowagons nonetheless!

• Like 1

Hi.

I like the gem-like appearance of the dragon scales. A very good first!

Regarding washes: you could give the whole paladin a brown wash ( except the sword, which will then appear very bright) which will have two effects: the mini will become more one piece instead of looking like separate colored parts. The mini will also get a worn look.

Now I can imagine that you want a bright look instead if worn. Then it becomes a little trickier. Suggestions above are fine, but do not really bring the mini together. You might try things like using a very, i mean very, diluted wash from your blue cape paint on the skulls that are part of the outfit, as if the light reflected from your cape is shining on the skulls. They must just pick up a hint of blue, no more. I find a detail like this can make a lot of difference.

First two painted miniatures ever? Those are awesome! You're off to one heck of a good start. Keep it up; you'll be painting masterpieces in no time.

I like the conversion and basing on Nathrax; the frost blade on the anti-paladin is really neat. How did you do that?

First two painted miniatures ever? Those are awesome! You're off to one heck of a good start. Keep it up; you'll be painting masterpieces in no time.

I like the conversion and basing on Nathrax; the frost blade on the anti-paladin is really neat. How did you do that?

On nathrax I first cut off his tongue and trimmed it so it would lay on the bottom of the mouth then drilled a hole in the back of the mouth I made the fire with hot glue using a needle to pull up the glue before it dried to make it look like it was rolling. I then put a piece of metal in the end to go in too the hole in the back of the mouth.(pinning it) On the anti-paladin I took hot glue again and made little globs then lines from the glob on a piece of paper from the back of a sheet of stickers(so that it wouldn't sick to it). Doing this multible times then cut the lines close to the end of the glob so the line would taper down then cut to length then super glued them on the sword hope this is clear to all of you lol

Edited by arch72
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By vulture
      Last one for a bit, I swear! This one isn't a Reaper mini, but I had to share it because it is actually seeing game time! I am using it as the BBEG for the excellent introductory module "A Most Potent Brew" by Winghorn press. My kiddos have just encountered this beast, and it definitely spooked them a bit! Next session is the climactic final battle! I have a poster of the dungeon and everything - it has been really fun so far, and I plan on using it as a lead in for LMoP. If they survive.

• By jwitham75
      Bringing the heat to Frostgrave.

• By Kuroneko
      Well, it's been a while since my last WIP project so here's what happens when you browse the Reaper Discord late at night and think "Hey! That's a FANTASTIC idea!". The Discord is home to the Reaper Challenge League and it has many, many categories. My favorite is the seasonal/holiday one. Simply put, you pick a holiday or event(ie.Christmas/St Patrick's day/The Coopers Hill Cheese Race etc) and paint a mini to match the theme.

As many of you are aware, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and the signature colour for that is pink. A few people were talking about doing pink minis for the challenge and I figured that I've already done a multicolored dragon, so how hard can it be?

This, my friends, is what this work in progress thread is about to attempt. Abandon all sanity and colour sense, all ye who continue to read here, because things are about to get fabulous!

First of all, the choice of dragon needed to be considered. Too small and you don't get the impact, too large and you're painting the beast all year. I needed a nice, mid sized dragon and I happened to have a spare of this bad boy. 

I've always loved Narthrax. His angry face, the unusual tilted pose and the awesome scale placement are just fantastic. He's truly one of my favorite dragons and I've been looking for an excuse to paint him something different from the standard chromatic or metallic dragons for quite a while now. Most of the my painting is for tabletop gaming purposes so it's nice to shift gear once in a while. 

So first things first, I gave him a nice soapy bath to prepare him for painting. Sorry, no photos of that- a dragon has to retain some dignity! Here's the 'after' shot!

I glued on the leg and tail and left the head and wings separate, mostly for ease of painting. Then I gave home a good, slightly thinned coat of Blue Liner 9066. This provides a nice, even base coat and helps prevent the paint rubbing off further down the road.

And thus the madness begins! This is where I started giving every single scale a layer of Rich Indigo, making sure that there's still a good amount of the dark liner in the shadows. 

At this point I realized that a test area was probably a good idea, so I started playing around with highlight colours, finally deciding on Witchcraft Purple 07977 and, appropriately enough, BCA Pink which Reaper are kind enough to put into online orders in October. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how bright to go but at least it doesn't look entirely hideous! Admittedly, your milage may vary on this one. Heck, I might hate pink by the end of this endeavor, you never know.

Lots of blocking in the purple and pink, with an attempt on the belly scales. Not entirely sure about that, might need to see how bright the upper scales go.

More blocking in of the scales and a bit of work on the wings, using Rich Indigo and Desna Blue.

Then the Witchcraft Purple starts getting layered on in earnest. This is the point where I start to second guess myself. He's starting to look like a particularly dangerous fuschia....

That's pretty much where the mini is now, hopefully I haven't bored you all too much or damaged your retinas. I'm hoping to get some more work done tomorrow so I'll keep posting as often as I can. I think that this is one of those projects that needs attention little and often.

Thanks for looking everybody!

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are pictures of a dragon I completed Yesterday. This is a Ral Partha 10-463, T'Char Dragon of The Flame and Fury sculpted by Sandra Garrity in 1992. I bought this model in 1993 and assembled it in 1995. It has been on a shelf all these years. It’s a pleasure to see it finally painted. This amazing sculpt is 175mm tall, almost 7 inches at the top of the wings. The original model comes with a nice base around which I added more rocks and branches. I made the flames with Liquitex heavy gel and 3d printed a 125mm wide base to complete the vignette. Nowadays, this 12-piece dragon is still available from Iron Wind Metals. I painted it exclusively with Reaper MSP paint.

Here’s the list of colors I used;

• By Smallbunyanga
      Done with all Reaper Paints and an AP Wash

• Who's Online   9 Members, 3 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)