Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

Force Awakens SPOILER thread

Re-watched Episode IV this Saturday, and I gotta say, watching it with all nostalgia filters off, it's FUN but it's objectively ... not very good. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10 - fun, exciting for what it is, but lacking in depth.

Honestly.

Re-watched Episode IV this Saturday, and I gotta say, watching it with all nostalgia filters off, it's FUN but it's objectively ... not very good. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10 - fun, exciting for what it is, but lacking in depth.

Honestly.

Yup.

• Like 3

Honestly.

Totally agree.

• Like 1

Objectively, Empire is the only one I would say is well written. Certainly I've enjoyed most of the others, but they are essentially just pulp serials.

• Like 2

Honestly.

Yup.

see, I wasn't expecting you specifically to argue, but I was expecting some argument. When everybody bashes against TFA for it's (very real) weaknesses, they inevitably contend how much fun ANH is. But If ANH is flawed but fun, SO IS TFA. Flawed but fun, and frankly, my assessment of 8/10 stands, meaning I like TFA objectively and measurably more than ANH.

If I had to rank the films, in order:

1. ESB
  2. TFA
  3. ANH
  4. RotJ
  5. RotS
  6. tCW
  7. tPM

and frankly, having re-watched tCW this weekend ALSO, it's hard to say if it's worse than tPM or not. Those two deserve their place on the low end of the scale.

Now, having said that, I'm due to re-watch RotJ and RotS soon, but if memory serves, the top 5 of the 7 movie series are all re-watchable, meaning only 2/3 of the Prequels must be dustbinned.

Honestly.

Yup.

see, I wasn't expecting you specifically to argue, but I was expecting some argument. When everybody bashes against TFA for it's (very real) weaknesses, they inevitably contend how much fun ANH is. But If ANH is flawed but fun, SO IS TFA. Flawed but fun, and frankly, my assessment of 8/10 stands, meaning I like TFA objectively and measurably more than ANH.

If I had to rank the films, in order:

1. ESB
  2. TFA
  3. ANH
  4. RotJ
  5. RotS
  6. tCW
  7. tPM

and frankly, having re-watched tCW this weekend ALSO, it's hard to say if it's worse than tPM or not. Those two deserve their place on the low end of the scale.

Now, having said that, I'm due to re-watch RotJ and RotS soon, but if memory serves, the top 5 of the 7 movie series are all re-watchable, meaning only 2/3 of the Prequels must be dustbinned.

Hmm, I think your assessment of the films in order of 1-7 is spot on, Bryan.

When I re-watch the films, I don't include tPM. I do the Machete method and watch Episodes in this order: 4, 5, 2, 3, 6.  ---- 4, 5 to see how the story begins, at the end of 5 you find out Vader is Luke's father. Then 2, 3 is Vader's backstory and rise to becoming Vader, thinking of it like a flash-back, then at the end of 3 you find out that Luke/Leia are born and twins, beginning of 6 has the Luke/Leia reveal as siblings and the finish of that story arc. I'll add in 7 to the end of that when I have it in hand to rewatch at home.

• Like 2

Finally watched the movie tonight. And I gotta say - I'm honestly baffled as to what the "spoilers" are that people are saying not to reveal. Is it that Kylo Ren is actually Han/Leia's son? Cuz that's made clear early enough in the movie that I don't imagine it makes any sense to treat it as a spoiler... Or are people surprised that Kylo Ren killed Han? Is that supposed to be the big secret that people are trying not to reveal? If so, I'm a little disappointed, because that was something I saw coming from the second that they revealed that Han was his father.

Anyway. That aside - fun movie. The plot is utterly nonsensical but it was a lot of fun and the characters went on interesting journeys. It'll be neat to see where it goes from here.

• Like 3

the biggest of spoilers for me where things like the fact that Finn is not the jedi, even though he is seen with the lightsaber in all the promotional materials

• Like 2

I'm honestly baffled as to what the "spoilers" are that people are saying not to reveal. Is it that Kylo Ren is actually Han/Leia's son? Cuz that's made clear early enough in the movie that I don't imagine it makes any sense to treat it as a spoiler... Or are people surprised that Kylo Ren killed Han? Is that supposed to be the big secret that people are trying not to reveal? If so, I'm a little disappointed, because that was something I saw coming from the second that they revealed that Han was his father.

But both of those things were only clear to you while watching the movie. So, for people who have not yet gotten to that point, those would be spoilers. If you were expecting to learn that a 2-digit number was the secret to life, the universe and everything, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for Episode VIII. Or maybe that's a different narrative.

• Like 4

the biggest of spoilers for me where things like the fact that Finn is not the jedi, even though he is seen with the lightsaber in all the promotional materials

I'm still unsure on that one... I wouldn't be surprised to see Finn start showing Jedi talent in later movies. A lesser talent than Rey, sure, but still... Why else would Kylo Ren bother to notice him in the first place, and strongly enough to have remembered his ID? And why did he pick up some of those skills so quickly?

(Of course, an alternative name for the movie might have been "Star Wars VII: Plot Holes Large Enough To Fly A Star Destroyer Through", so... :lol: )

I'm honestly baffled as to what the "spoilers" are that people are saying not to reveal. Is it that Kylo Ren is actually Han/Leia's son? Cuz that's made clear early enough in the movie that I don't imagine it makes any sense to treat it as a spoiler... Or are people surprised that Kylo Ren killed Han? Is that supposed to be the big secret that people are trying not to reveal? If so, I'm a little disappointed, because that was something I saw coming from the second that they revealed that Han was his father.

But both of those things were only clear to you while watching the movie. So, for people who have not yet gotten to that point, those would be spoilers. If you were expecting to learn that a 2-digit number was the secret to life, the universe and everything, I'm afraid you'll have to wait for Episode VIII. Or maybe that's a different narrative.

In my mind, things that are blindingly obvious & entirely predictable within the first 1/4 of a movie don't count as spoilers. If I only pick up on something halfway through, that's different, but the first 1/4 of the movie is just setup anyway most of the time.

I guess knowing it was coming because it's obvious isn't the same experience as knowing it's coming because you've been told. In the former, there's always the hope that JJ might actually surprise you, whereas with the latter, you know for sure he's a goner. So I guess that's a spoiler. 

It's no secret that Han walked into this movie with a bullseye on his back. He's a mentor figure in the first part of a trilogy. But the hows and whys, even the confirmation of, is a big spoiler. Knowing the score of a football game before you watch it doesn't change the outcome of the game, but it changes how you relate to every play. You know exactly how many times each team is going to score, which cuts out a significant amount of the tension and emotional investment. And emotional investment is the only thing that puts people in stadiums and movie theaters.

• Like 5