Loth

Painting fishing worms...

This'll sound silly but fun. I play a wargame that has a unit of massive worms in a mass as a formation. This is at 28-32 mm scale. No one really makes these as a miniature cheaply in a quantity I want except fishing supply stores (and Amazon that evil temptress...) so $10 later I have around 150-200 silicon worms of various colors that I would like to paint up.

So does anyone have experience? I've read some professional house painter boards and they mention using an oil primer, does anyone have experience with this or painting over silicone in general?

Thanks for any tips or help,

Loth

Closest experience I had was an epoxy glue I used years ago that dried clear and smooshy lik silicone. When I painted that I used an enamel spray to prime and it painted exactly the same as my other figs after that.

• Like 1

Megaminis had packs of giant worms. If you can still find them, that is.

EDIT: Turnkey Miniatures carries the line now.

Edited by Bruunwald
  • Like 2

Be aware that a lot of bait worms have salt and other substances added to attract fish. Also the plasticizers in the material will melt certain other plastics when left in prolonged contact

• Like 3

Be aware that a lot of bait worms have salt and other substances added to attract fish. Also the plasticizers in the material will melt certain other plastics when left in prolonged contact

Ah!  Useful to know.  I have a pack of rubbery squidlike things I had been thinking of using for gaming.

I had trouble getting my Tamiya spray primer to dry properly on a rubbery plastic frog toy I was converting into a froghemoth a couple of years ago for the Age of Worms campaign I was DMing (it was staying tacky), and the advice I got here suggested it was a reaction with "plasticizers" to my primer.  The solution I was offered was to soak the piece in mineral oil (if you can't find it, baby oil is just mineral oil + fragrance) to leach out some of the plasticizer chemicals.  I also had limited success using this technique to repose plastic DDM minis without them returning to their original positions, for what it's worth.  Not big changes, just enough to make a couple of the same mini standing side by side not look so much like a mirror image spell.

I would link that old thread, but my cookies have reset or something and I can't get to anything that far back anymore, nor can I figure out how to change that setting to show all the way back.  :(

• Like 1

In my experience, acrylic/latex will never stick to silicone.  You may be able to get a good hold with a very toothy primer, but silicone shrinks and deforms readily too, so in a few months you'll have cracks all over your worms.  Still could work.  I might suggest applying some sort of hard coat to each pile of worms--clear matte in many layers, or use some sort of mold builder to get a casting of the worms (bio joke...sorry).  Then cast them in plaster or resin or even greenstuff if you have a stiff mold.

Good luck, and most importantly...Pics!!!

Just had an idea (because I was thinking of alternatives, such as gummi worms and how to solidify corn syrup...).  You can freeze those fishing worms solid--they should stay long enough to get your mold material poured, then pull the worms out when the mold has set.

Edited by BLZeebub
  • Like 1

I would link that old thread, but my cookies have reset or something and I can't get to anything that far back anymore, nor can I figure out how to change that setting to show all the way back.  :(

On the subforums at the top along the red stripe are a series of menu items. You want the one labeled "Custom". It gives you options of how far back you can see threads and you can check a box to make that your new default.

Apparently it's automatically set to 30 days unless you change it.

I appreciate all the replies, there's some great idea's here!

@Bruunwald - thanks for the heads up about Turnkey mini's - I looked at those worms, not enough for $7. The base is 200 mm x 120 mm that needs to be filled. I've been looking (not actively but a heads up) for who was producing megamini's stuff since they went dark, thanks!

@Frogimus - thanks for the info on the salt. I'll definitely have to leach it out then. Part of my plan is to sculpt a good portion of them inside of some Crayola Air-dry clay to look as if they're burrowing, hate to have the salt react negatively with that.

@Kang - thanks for the tip, my wife lives at Lowes (we both like to paint, she has a larger scale then me). I was thinking of getting some mineral oil, a container with a lid, and just dumping the worms to soak for a couple of hours. Should address salt and give the material some tooth.

@BLZeebub - you know I've got a friend who does a lot of casting I bet I could talk him into casting these for me...but I think I'll definitely need to leach out the salts first...not sure how it'll react to the resin...There will definitely be pics!

Again thanks for all the ideas, I appreciate it!

Loth

Thanks Pingo, that worked, I found that thread and posted a link to it in another thread where the exact same issue I had is being discussed.

I am not sure the mineral oil trick would work on silicone though.