Chaoswolf

Oh, Rats. Skaven WIP/restoration project

Last week I became the proud new owner of a second hand Skaven (GW ratmen) army. Most of the rank-n-file troops are plastic. Due to being insane and not having enough ongoing projects, I have decided to fix up and make a multi-base/diorama (for possible use in Kings of War) a whole bunch of them. I'll be making a 'horde' of ratmen on a sewer base. Officially, a horde is 40 figures, 10 across by 4 deep, in ranks. I'm going to be using less than that; the final count isn't determined yet, but I have a hard time thinking of a horde of rats in perfect military formation, so my base will be the appropriate size, but the figures will be scattered around chaotically, as befitting a horde of vermin. I will be using a few Reaper figures here and there to help 'fill up space', mostly rat swarms and some giant rats.

As far as the base goes, I'm thinking it'll be (mostly) flat, with part of it being lower and filled with sewage. For the lower part, should it run the length of the base, or cut across the width? Any suggestions?

This is what I'm working with as far the figures go:

post-12095-0-66081600-1451247124_thumb.jpg

post-12095-0-64390100-1451247151_thumb.jpg

Broken/missing parts, mold lines all over the place, and a fairly slapdash paint job. I will be making repairs (this has actually already begun). cleaning up mold lines, and touching up the existing paint. I like the scheme, so I'm going to stay with it, and just fix it up.

This will be a slow-burn project; I have no desire to try and paint 20-30 ratmen all at once. This will get worked on here and there between other things that I'm doing.

• Like 10

Have fun with this!

As for the way the sewage cuts across the diorama, it will depend on how you want to present the formation of skaven. If it runs left to right, then the skaven will be behind it, and you will likely have a wide diorama.

If it runs front to back, you will likely have 2 groups of skaven, one on each side of the sewage, and it will be 'deeper'.

George

• Like 2

If I go left to right, I was thinking of perhaps having a makeshift bridge going across it, as well as having 1 or 2 of them balancing on rocks or debris in the sludge.

• Like 1

Could certainly do that too....

Always a good thing to draw out what you are trying to do, and then push minis around to see what you like.

Gives you a better Idea of the spacial relationships.

A piece with the components you are describing, I would start with a piece of printer paper, draw in the sludge conduit, then start putting the minis on it. Make a bridge with an index card, and start moving things around. The rocks in the sludge will be wherever you put minis, and you don't need to diagram them out at this stage.

Are you planning on a back and / or side walls?

George

• Like 2

sounds like fun, maybe inspiring enough for me to do something with my extra scaven, I painted up 10 or so, enough for RPGs and left the rest unpainted. 

• Like 2

I've got a decent sized Skaven army that is still mostly unpainted, mainly because I hate to paint all those rank and file models. :P  I have however painted up about a dozen or so of the smaller units and/or character models.  Looking forward to seeing this project come along.  Maybe it'll movtivate me to get back to some of my own neglected skaven. :)

• Like 2

Could certainly do that too....

Always a good thing to draw out what you are trying to do, and then push minis around to see what you like.

Gives you a better Idea of the spacial relationships.

A piece with the components you are describing, I would start with a piece of printer paper, draw in the sludge conduit, then start putting the minis on it. Make a bridge with an index card, and start moving things around. The rocks in the sludge will be wherever you put minis, and you don't need to diagram them out at this stage.

Are you planning on a back and / or side walls?

George

Yup, I had definitely planned on doing several mock-ups before I commit myself to anything.

I gave brief thought to walls; it's still not completely beyond the real of possibility, but on the off chance I ever get to use this as a gaming piece, I'm not too sure how it's look on the battlefield.

I've got a decent sized Skaven army that is still mostly unpainted, mainly because I hate to paint all those rank and file models. :P  I have however painted up about a dozen or so of the smaller units and/or character models.  Looking forward to seeing this project come along.  Maybe it'll movtivate me to get back to some of my own neglected skaven. :)

Well, like I said, it's gonna be slow, but I hope you see something interesting enough to make you want to throw some paint on your rats. ::):

• Like 2

yay! rats!!! Love Skaven, love rats!

RE: sewer base. What about a two level display? Basically what I'm thinking is you'd have it set at a diagonal, with the actual sewer part running from say a point high on the left of the board, diagonally, to a point just shy of mid of the front section of the board. Then make the left side a bit lower, or "in" the sewer itself. Rats slogging about etc. The upper section could be another area of the sewer, the ledge/walkway or just an open section of the pipe, and you could have a number of rats traipsing across it. Mount the whole thing up a bit, maybe 1 1/2" so that you could put the end of the sewer pipe at the forward edge of the board.

If you wanted to you could even do just a bit of a higher area in the right upper corner showing the above ground. The walls of the sewer would then form the back wall, most of the right. Leaving the left and front open to  the viewer.

Hopefully that all makes sense - always easier to see it than put it into words =/ Anyway just some grist for the mill =D

• Like 3

If you eliminate the necessity for HORDES of the Beasties for gaming, the Skaven could be a real pleasure to slowly paint up. Have FUN with the Rats!

• Like 3

I think that's why he's talking about painting them slowly.

I promise I will paint at least one skaven if you finish at least three of yours :)

• Like 2

Yes, it actually would.

If you eliminate the necessity for HORDES of the Beasties for gaming, the Skaven could be a real pleasure to slowly paint up. Have FUN with the Rats!

Very good point. Before I started off on this hare-brained scheme, my intent was to got through the ratty hordes looking for neat/cool poses to use for a Mordheim warband; I still intend to do that.

I think that's why he's talking about painting them slowly.

I promise I will paint at least one skaven if you finish at least three of yours :)

You're on!

• Like 3

I was thinking...( happens sometimes).

How about a sewer outlet ending in open terrain?

So, in the back you've got a large sewer pipe entrance, opened, some sewage is leaking to a pool, pond, riverlike thing or a small poodle.

The Skaven have erupted from that and are now spreading over the terrain, some smaller rats are visible in the pipe entrance.

Maybe this all ends in a wood, or maybe in a city?

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 3

That's a very interesting idea; I may have to spend some time rethinking this now. Thanks for the idea!

or a small poodle.

I'm pretty sure they would have already eaten a small poodle. ::P:

Just teasing; I knew what you meant. :upside:

• Like 2

That's a very interesting idea; I may have to spend some time rethinking this now. Thanks for the idea!

or a small poodle.

I'm pretty sure they would have already eaten a small poodle. ::P:

Just teasing; I knew what you meant. :upside:

Puddle?  Nahh I'm prett sure a Poodle would be fine :devil:

• Like 2