Sign in to follow this  
Wikkidcrow

Master Sergeant Wood Elf Ranger

That is really cleanly painted! Good job! Your colours match great, as well.

A really easy thing to do to help get some depth on your mini would be to get a shade or wash paint* and cover it with that, mainly in the deep places, such as between the folds of the cloak, the fingers of the hand, the arrows in the quiver etc. It'll make them a bit darker and help separate them a bit more to the eye, as well as giving them a bit of depth. I don't know what Reaper has for this sorry :( I tend to use vallejo.

That's a really awesome job tho for a first mini - much much better than my first one, that's for sure lol

*edit - it's not really a paint, sorry, it's an ink. They kind of 'stain' the paint and stay in the recesses, instead of on top, like a glaze.

Edited by Guildenstern
  • Like 2

Vallejo makes wonderful inks in the Game Color line ("Game Inks," appropriately enough) and sells them in a set that makes them more affordable than buying separately.

Their "Skin Wash" ink doubles as a good brown wash for leathers, and would do wonders for the quiver and the scabbard.

As-is, it's a fantastic job for a first mini. I especially like the different colors for the inside and outside of the cloak.

• Like 2

Welcome,

A first mini? That looks great.

Like been said above, a little wash here and there. And maybe things like bands and belts on the quiver for example, will show off better in a more contrasting colour.

Look around and also youtube has a lot of nice clips, search for painting fantasy miniatures.

You're off to a great start, have fun!

• Like 3

Very clean work, good brush control.

I like the green and browns, but the yellow... stands out a bit too much for my taste. Otherwise the rest of the clothes look like they might blend in well with woodland or grassy terrain. But maybe it's the photo making it brighter than it is in person. A wash of brown over the yellow would not be bad, though.

Oh, and the organic looking base is nice too.

• Like 2

Hey... you aren't supposed to start basing until you are a few dozen minis in... overachiever!

This looks a damn sight better than my first mini - great work - you will be amazed at what a wash will do (like making the fingers on the hand look 3d and lifelike) and drybrushing your highlights will put a huge smile on your face - remember you can almost never have your brush too dry ;)

Awesome first mini - you are well on the way!

• Like 2

Looking good. Nicely done!

As people have already mentioned a wash will do wonders for adding a bit of contrast and exaggerating the depth of the crevices on the model. I recently did my first paint as well and didn't have very much for supplies so I took my base colors and mixed them with a light amount of black. Then I watered the mixture down to make it thin and used that as a substitute wash.

I would still recommend buying your inks and shades for consistency and quality, but in a pinch its a good method for some more depth.

• Like 2