LittleBluberry

Mounted Mashup - Trista (77094) riding Sir Danel's horse with a weapon swap

So a while ago I painted Trista as a paladin with a warhammer I took from Halbarand the cleric. http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/51436-trista-conversion-wip/?hl=trista

It was my first conversion, and she's seen a lot of game time. Now that she's a 5th level paladin, I wanted to make a mounted version of her. Back during the Bones 2 Kickstarter there was a suggestion from multiple people to just take one of the mounted Bones, cut them off at the waist and glue the top half of the mini you wanted a mounted version of.  Since Sir Danel from Bones 2 had some <ahem> issues with his top half, I figured it was the perfect candidate.  ^_^

There are a few challenges with this project that I can spot so far.  First off, Trista has a very narrow waist.  Her belt is also at a bit of an angle, which will complicate things.  At this point I think I might have to partially re-sculpt the belt to cover the seam where the surgery occurred. 

I'm actually thinking I'll start from the bottom up and get the horse painted first.  I'd love a few opinions on what to do with the basing and whether or not the extra bit by the rear hoof needs to stay there for support.  Currently the base is bent and Sir Danel won't stand, so obviously I need to at the very least heat-treat the horse.  I've got a black plastic cavalry base, plus round bases in many sizes. I'm conflicted as to whether I want to make an epic looking base that fills most of a 2" area (for gaming purposes) or if I want to go with the cavalry base for a little stability and easier storage. I'd also like to up my basing game a bit, so all suggestions will be considered as long as they fit with a jungle locale. ^_^

Since this is Bones, and for gaming, I'm not going to go crazy with a high quality display level paint job (which I probably couldn't pull off anyway) and I'll be aiming for higher tabletop quality. Saves my sanity. ^_^

post-12219-0-99876700-1451505881_thumb.jpg

post-12219-0-14084900-1451507300_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Apparently I hit "Post" instead of "Preview" on this one.  Ooops!  I forgot to mention that I was planning to cheat and glue the integral base down and sculpt around it if possible.  I've got a bunch of Happy Seppuku stamps plus I'm totally willing to buy some of the PVC jungle bases from CMON, or I could use one of the resin tree stumps I've got in my box, etc, etc. 

The horse is going to be dapple grey with a cream mane and tail.  I've never painted a horse, so I'm excited to try!  ^_^

post-12219-0-01392300-1451508012.jpg

• Like 11

So no actual painting, just planning. The CMON base insert I had wanted to use would likely not fit since the one I had (different style, same size) was just a couple of millimeters too small. (Hoofs would stick out over the edge, ergo not the best glue point.) I think I'm going to go nuts and use one of the 2" circles that came with Bones 2 so that I can include more fun stuff on the base. I was thinking of trying my hand at sculpting a bunch of ferns, but decided to instead try an assortment of brass etch foliage (on order).

The plan is to have a fallen log with vines to one side, and small clumps of foliage on the other. A responsible rider would try to avoid plowing through overgrown terrain, so I'll have to either paint a rough path or have them travelling through a break in the vegetation.

Not really feeling up to painting tonight, but I think perhaps I could start prepping. (Boiling, trimming mold lines. etc.) My green stuff is getting old, but is still somewhat useable so I think I'm going to try and use up a bunch of it on the base.

• Like 4

I'm not certain if that extras bit by the back hoof is needed for stability or not; if it were me, I'd just camouflage it with some basing material to look like tall grass/ a clump of foliage/a bush.

Cool idea, and I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

• Like 1

Got a little base coating done today while I was waiting for the plumber to do stuff.  Thought I'd put up a picture and try to build up some motivational momentum, as it were. 

I started by doing a wash of grey liner.  (Technically a pretty thick wash, otherwise it won't stick at all.)  This worked better than it has in the past, so I'll have to keep trying it.  Did a great job of showing where all the detail was, and since this will be a dapple grey horse it was the perfect start.  I then did a base coat of a similar grey mixed from HD Armor Grey and HD white on the horse flesh portions.  Started on the cloth with Cinnamon Red, since it was just sitting there wanting to be used.  Slathered the saddle with Brown Liner, it's going to be a darkish brown leather and I want it to not get scratched when I glue the rider on later.

A couple of years ago I never would have thought that I could have painted that little rectangle in the saddle blanket without messing up any of the lines.  All the red was done with a Rosemary & Co #1 brush, which I'm starting to like more as I develop more brush control.  It's always nice to feel like things are getting easier.  ^_^

EDIT:  I keep noticing that several sentences get eaten and disappear but are still hidden when I go to edit.  So I'm re-formatting a little to try and see if they come back. 

post-12219-0-47247000-1452147068_thumb.jpg

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 12

Seeing the colours blocked in makes me realize that this horse has some great barding.

*** adds to want list***

• Like 2

Finally came back to my dapple grey horse. I'd messed around with the spots on the coat and gotten frustrated, so she got shelved for a while. Messed with the coat a bit for a while today and decided to move on to some of the barding. Some of the decorative details will be done in gold later, but I think I might be done for today. So far the coat is mostly the Shadowed Stone triad, tail is Splintered Bone through Linen White and pure white. Barding is P3's Cold Steel over top of Brown Liner. I think I'll be picking up the new Bones metallic paints, especially Dragon Gold.

Suggestions on how to breathe some life into the coat & tail would be appreciated. I feel like it needs a glaze of a warmer color, but I'm not quite sure.

Picture!

post-12219-0-84221300-1466725825_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

The plan is to have a fallen log with vines to one side, and small clumps of foliage on the other.

What are you planning to use for the fallen log?

The plan is to have a fallen log with vines to one side, and small clumps of foliage on the other.

What are you planning to use for the fallen log?

I've actually got some resin bits that I bought from Secret Weapon that included a fallen log. I've also got some etched brass foliage that I'll be adding later.

• Like 1

So it's taken me a really long time to make any progress on this.  For a while I'd try and paint the horse, but dapple grey is a really hard thing to pull off so I'd get frustrated and stop.  Finally I got the courage to forge ahead with the rider modifications.  I still have some green stuff work to do, but here's some progress.  Here's my new rider partially done, along with a test fit on the horse:

IMG_3282.JPG.146fa331ff8cdc6beee795fb53fedf6c.JPG

IMG_3283.JPG.e686d890be6b6e021c4fdf80c4ccaf9a.JPG

• Like 19

So I was unhappy with the massive size of that hammer, and I debated what to do with it.  I tried trimming some of the bulk off each end and I think it looks better.  I also added some bulk to the handle, and the waist at the front, because Trista's waist was so tiny it looked a bit odd on Sir Danel's bottom half.  I think I might be done with the putty work, it could look better but I'm not really that good at working with it yet.  

Hopefully I'll be moving on to priming and painting in a couple of days, now that I took on the scariest part of the conversion I'm more enthused to finish it up!  

Pics:

IMG_3284.JPG.3216912eb3d55b95e64ec9ab0ab6b77d.JPGIMG_3285.JPG.88eb738ae8695c974cc386595f9f7445.JPG

• Like 15