2016 - The New Year Hobby Goals

At this point, I'll be happy if I get what's on my desk right now painted before the end of the year ::P: one of the things on my desk is yephima, who I've wanted to finish since I got her. She has paint on her now, so at least I've finally made a start.

• Like 9
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I want to paint something this year.   And build something. (Terrain/Buildings)   This past year I started painted by a couple of minis, but didn't complete any. I did manage to assemble several

Keep my painting and conversion tables clean and clear for work.   Then... Complete a single project.   Start a second project. Complete a second project.   Start project n Complete project n

I want to learn to paint better and faster.     Specific goals? I want to get faster. I love painting these things, but I also want to use them. Probably tomorrow I'm going to start working on mass-

Finish the zombicide figures

Organize my work area (again) and keep it organized

Improve painting of eyes

Base more figures - not just the ones that fall over and need to be glued to a boulder, tree, etc - I'm talking to you Deathsleet and Jabberwock

Attend my first Reapercon

Make some progress on the Bones2 figures before Bones3 arrives

• Like 8

Have my combined army list painted, based and sealed before captain con, and bring the same list to Gencon

Finish building the dumpster killa kan before the kan deathmatch. Further elaborate and paint for entry in Gencon painting contest.

organize my minis, no more sitting randomly on shelves.

organize terrain, and dungeon scenery.

paint stuff.

• Like 6

I'd like to not have my hobbies come grinding to a halt after baby comes. In the meantime, I'm going to keep working on my highlight and shadow placement as I think it's the main thing that kept me from getting a silver at ReaperCon this year.

The trick is keeping the hobby easily accessible for small bursts of time (a dedicated work spaced that is clean and ready to go is ideal). Also, those small bursts of time might change from when they happen now. For instance, early morning or middle of the night or lunch break might work better.

I hope that helps.

I have a desk set up in the bedroom, so that will help. I might have to make an airtight wet palette so that it's easier to continue with projects.

• Like 6

This year I will continue my attempts at actually finishing the miniatures I've already started.  Since I've about a dozen or so in the queue I'll be aiming to improve my overall skill set by at least a small amount. Slow and study with the focus being on the technical aspects of the hobby  I'd like to start learning how to airbrush when the weather improves this spring.  There's a diorama, a couple of duels and a vignette in the mix but the rest are single figs.  Not sure if I'll join any online contests and I seriously doubt I'll be attending an cons this year.  I guess it depends on whether or not what I finish is an acceptable entry and if my camera plays nice with the photography.  Doubt I'll be purchasing any new miniatures this year though with paint, I guess it all depends on whether or not I need a certain color.  I am curious to see how the new Bones HD metallics turn out though.  Because if they have a small mica flake size, well then I might just pick some up, depending on the color choice.

Now back to painting that Jailer of the Ten Thousand Paces that I've had to strip once... :poke:

Oh yeah, Winter Blue is a really lovely color.

• Like 6

-Find a long-term storage solution for painted minis.

-Figure out how to take reasonable pictures with my existing cameras and post them.

-Get better at creating an artistic vision for a mini and following it through

• Like 8

Excellent thread!

In no particular order, I would like to:

--increase my productivity by:

a) learning to paint faster, while still maintaining, or hopefully improving, my results

--work on shading/highlighting more

--work on eyes/faces

--practice more sculpting

And the big one:

Spend less time here talking about painting, and more time actually doing it. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, and you're the bestest group of people that I've been able to associate with, but I was thinking a couple of days ago about the amount of time my butt is in front of the computer screen instead of at the work bench. I figure a little less time here will help with all of the above.

In short, I'm not leaving, just being a little more scarce.

• Like 10

Excellent thread!

In no particular order, I would like to:

--increase my productivity by:

a) learning to paint faster, while still maintaining, or hopefully improving, my results

--work on shading/highlighting more

--work on eyes/faces

--practice more sculpting

And the big one:

Spend less time here talking about painting, and more time actually doing it. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, and you're the bestest group of people that I've been able to associate with, but I was thinking a couple of days ago about the amount of time my butt is in front of the computer screen instead of at the work bench. I figure a little less time here will help with all of the above.

In short, I'm not leaving, just being a little more scarce.

On the other hand, posting work here and getting comments/likes and tips has increased my productivity.

But I get what you're saying.

just don't be a stranger, paint, post, howl and repeat!

• Like 8

I'd like to understand color theory a whole lot better. On top of that I would like to improve my painting to a "class" higher than I am at right now. And on a minor note I would like to understand sculpting a bit more. Not to sculpt entire miniatures but mainly that if I want to add a hand to something I can do it. 

I'd really like paint a bust this year and get my office painting area EXACTLY the way I want it!

• Like 7

Probably should add that I also want to make a noticeable dent in my unpainted pile, so also plan to reduce the minis I purchase on a whim

Indeed, I have had the same feeling on multiple occasions.  Kickstarter was great for that.  With 4 backed and due in this year, I really need to add your idea to my list as well.

• Like 9