knarthex

So some of us are doing this, some have finished, and some have yet to start this, But as we have been discussing it over in the Aquisitions Thread, I thought we should really be doing it over here so people can find it...

So I recently had ordered 100 dropper bottles from the River site, and I goofed by ordering 30ml instead of 15ml.

The lousy return policy ended up with me keeping them, and ordering 100 more but 15ml this time.
As the new bottles were delivered yesterday, I started transferring paint into them.

007_1.jpg

Blond Shadow is playing Sir Forscale....

I would then wrap some masking tape around the bottle, and use a sharpie to label them.

I then dumped the empty bottles into a bucket of simple green and water to clean them up.

I started moving some Reaper Pro Paint into a 30ml bottle, as I was informed that a new bottle would not fit a 15ml. I then remembered someone mentioning that you can carefully peel the label off, and apply it to the new bottle. So I did this without much fuss, and wrapped scotch tape around it to be sure it stays there.

So I decided to see if I could do that with my old GW paint pot labels, and was disappointed that I tore the label while doing it...

I was able to salvage it, but it doesn't look all that great....

Then the brain kicked in, an I remembered using Ronson lighter fluid to peel labels when I worked in a grocery store years ago.

005_4.jpg

REMEMBER! THIS STUFF IS VERY FLAMMABLE!!!!

So I got out my can, put some on the paint label, and waited 5 minutes or so.

I took the point of an X-Acto knife and worked it carefully under the label, and slowly peeled it off in 1 piece!

I then put it on the dropper bottle, and ran the scotch tape around it. Looks great!

So if you are moving paint from a pot with a paper label, give this a try!

(I think Nail Polish remover would work as well, but I DON"T know for sure....)

002_6.jpg

I know many of you dislike the GW paints, but I used them for a long time, and really like some of their colors, and I have yet to replace them with either Scale 75, Reaper, or VMC

There has also been discussions about the best way to Transfer the paint, as the dropper bottles have such narrow necks.

Tonight I used a syringe (See above pic) that I saved from pet medicine. It worked, but ws kind of messy, and I almost knocked over the old pot, and the new bottle. Would likely be easier with another's help...

When I transferred the inks, I just unscrewed the cap, and poured carefully. Much quicker, and easier. I would then use a crappy old CLEAN brush as a spatula to swab as much paint out as I could, wiping it off inside the dropper bottles neck.

I also used small funnels that I had ordered weeks ago that fit perfectly into Reaper and Vallejo bottle's necks. They don't fit perfectly in the new bottles I got, they need to be forced gently, and then held in place. Makes it hard to do much with only one hand free...

003_4.jpg

Another thing I learned: Shake the Hades out of the paint pot, stir it with a stick, and shake it again! Then let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes, so that most of the paint drips down from the cap. Then do your transfer. If it seems a little thick, add some water, or whatever you prefer to thin with. I am using water and flow improver, and or flow improver and matte medium....

006_4.jpg

And don't forget to put a drop of paint on each cap top so that you can see the color at a glance! Use your 'swabbing' brush for this before you clean it.

That's all for now!

Please chime in with any hints, tips, or stories about doing this, so that we have a thread that can be referenced!

George

It's Takky Time NOW!

• Like 11

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool!  Love the label transference trick.

70% or higher alcohol, gasoline (LOL) or pretty much any petroleum solvent or adhesive remover (product called "dif," or other wallpaper adhesive dissolvers too) will work.  Nail polish remover usually contains acetone, which will definitely remove the label, but it may also dissolve the ink (and if it's concentrated/pure enough it'll dissolve many low density plastics).

Cool!  Love the label transference trick.

70% or higher alcohol, gasoline (LOL) or pretty much any petroleum solvent or adhesive remover (product called "dif," or other wallpaper adhesive dissolvers too) will work.  Nail polish remover usually contains acetone, which will definitely remove the label, but it may also dissolve the ink (and if it's concentrated/pure enough it'll dissolve many low density plastics).

Thanks!

Hopefully others will chime in with good info as well.

You reminded me that there is a product called 'Goof Off' that may work for that as well.

George

I used the same syringe trick when transferring paint from P3 pots to dropper bottles.  (Wish I'd thought of it when I had Games Workshop paints, they all dried out and became useless.)  I did, however, print a sheet of transparent mailing labels with the P3 logo and used a sharpie to write in the paint name.  Removing the old labels seemed like more work than I was willing to do.  Haven't had any issues with the labels peeling off or losing the ink. 

Just make sure if you use the syringe that you clean it up well right away!  Otherwise it will gunk up super-fast and be much less useful. 

adhesive remover

Thanks!

Hopefully others will chime in with good info as well.

You reminded me that there is a product called 'Goof Off' that may work for that as well.

"Goof Off" was exactly what I had in mind.  It can get kind of residue-y though, so might want to wash with soap/detergent afterwards too.

• Like 1

I used the same syringe trick when transferring paint from P3 pots to dropper bottles.  (Wish I'd thought of it when I had Games Workshop paints, they all dried out and became useless.)  I did, however, print a sheet of transparent mailing labels with the P3 logo and used a sharpie to write in the paint name.  Removing the old labels seemed like more work than I was willing to do.  Haven't had any issues with the labels peeling off or losing the ink. 

Just make sure if you use the syringe that you clean it up well right away!  Otherwise it will gunk up super-fast and be much less useful. 

Thanks!

That is the syringe after being soaked in the same bucket of simple green and water that I am cleaning the old pots with.

I found out the need to clean that kind of thing out fast when I killed some eye droppers when I started airbrushing....

George

George

Another thing I have been using when I transfer old 'grainy' or 'Chunky' paints is use my Dremel tool to stir them really well!

But you ask, George, doesn't that make a terrible mess?

No it doesn't! And here is why:

I am moving mainly old GW paints at the moment, and I still have some of the old screw off caps without the flip top. What I have done is drill a 3/64 hole (the second smallest bit in the Dremel 7 pack) in the center of the top, and put a bent paper clip through it.

001_8.jpg

002_7.jpg

003_5.jpg

004_6.jpg

I then screw that lid onto a paint pot, and slip the paper clip into the chuck of the dremel and spin away. Some paint will climb up through the small hole, but not much. If needed, you can add your thinning medium before the first spin, or after if you decide it is still not right.

But George, I am doing Reaper Pro Paints!

Never fear! The GW cap will fit on a Pro Paint bottle! Not all that well, but it does fit.

005_5.jpg

That is a bottle of Pro Paint Orc Flesh, that I have removed the label from, and then run some masking tape around the cap to hold it, just in case.

The problem I now face with this is that even after adding my matte medium / flow improver mix, the paint is still grainy...

006_5.jpg

The bottle is also now a little over full as I believe that I am getting air bubbles in the mix with the really strong stirring the Dremel provides.

So I will likely pour the mix into 2 old CLEAN GW pots, and add more medium and stir them again before pouring them into a 30ml dropper bottle...

You could likely use a regular drill if you don't have a dremel, if the chuck will grip the paper clip. Maybe put some masking tape on the 'shank' of the paper clip to bulk it out....

Hope that helps!

George

• Like 8

I did this with my oldish GW paints a few years ago, and I used the syringe trick too.  I learned that if the pain seemed a little thick when I was transferring to the dropper not to put the flow improver into the dropper, instead I would put it into the GW bottle I was transferring the paint from.  Then cap and shake the GW bottle like no tomorrow, then take the much diluted paint out of the GW bottle and put it into the dropper.  Doing it this way I was able to transfer nearly all the paint out of my GW paint bottles.  I also learned that you could easily peel the clear labels off of the new pots of the GW paint when I was transferring some of the new pink paint (it was one of the few colors I didn't have, and I unfortunately didn't know about the label trick a few years before.)

post-14169-0-72849300-1451721060_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I am not transferring paints just making mixes of stuff but I got my bottles this week.

I found that "United States Plastic Corp." sells this type of bottle as singles at $0.34 for 15ml bottles and $0.53 for 30ml bottles.

They have the advantage of not shipping from China so they get to you sooner if you are in the US at least.

They came the day after I ordered them.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 3

To help secure the funnel would a piece of blu tack work? For example wedge the funnel in and then add a piece of blu tack under the funnel to secure it. And if you are accident prone some blu tack to secure the paint bottle to the table to avoid wasting the paint.

Thanks for the thought!

I have become very proficient at pouring from the old pot right into the dropper bottles by now....

And Blu Tac and I don't really get along....

I have had to many things get elfed up due to that stuff, so I no longer use it.

George