Getting to Know Each Other--Year 2--Jan

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Frigid cold and blizzards. And wood stoves (and the chopping of the wood).  I'm probably at my happiest when there's a wicked blizzard blowing and temps are subzero and I have a nice crackling fire

"Because you went out of your way to say hi to me, and made sure I laughed every day, I realized that I matter, and my life means something.  I haven't hurt myself in a week.  I don't want to kill mys

Going back a bit for this one. The best compliment I ever received was last Thursday when we found out that a couple had decided that we would be the best adoptive family for their birth daughter! We

Question for Jan 5th: Is there something that makes you happy that you have a hard time explaining to others?

Lotsa things! Among things, ReaperCon & why I go down every year.

• Like 6

Question for Jan 5th: Is there something that makes you happy that you have a hard time explaining to others?

Beautiful minis. =)  I'm already pretty bad at articulating my thoughts, but then add on trying to explain something that most people seem to have never even heard of.... Also, good use of color in art. Color makes me happy. =)

• Like 4

I'm with Malefactus on this.

I enjoy what I enjoy and I don't give a [email protected]@p if someones can understand or condone that.

Sooo you're over 50 and still playing with toy soldiers? Yep, the door is behind you BTW..

• Like 9

And now, the first question of the year...

Question for Jan 1st: Do you enjoy dancing? Bonus question: Are you a good dancer?

Not really, and definitely not.

People have occasionally tried to change those facts, and maybe one will eventually succeed.

Weekend time! Woo!

Question for Jan 2nd & 3rd: For movies with major points that can be spoiled (e.g. Crying Game, Sixth Sense, Star Wars) how long after the movie comes out should you wait before it's reasonable to assume that everyone who actually gives a hoot has seen the movie and you can start just talking openly about whatever the big reveal is without worrying about spoiling it for people?

I do not have a hard rule for myself. I also am also almost always late to the party on these things, since I watch very few movies in theaters (I'm not sure I say as many as 3 in 2015), or TV shows during their first run (I don't even have HBO access).

In the rare cases that I do know a spoiler early on, I try to be careful for a few months. After that, I will try to honor requests for spoiler-protection within reason.

Prompted by one of our new forum friends (and because I already know the answers will be all over the map :lol: ) I have a new question for today!

Question for Jan 4th: How much attention do you pay to rules? Do you even bother to find out what the rules are in the first place, or do you assume people will let you know you're breaking the rules as needed? (In general, not just for this thread.)

This question is extremely broad, but I would say that I am generally a rule-follower.

On the other hand, I certainly bend or break certain rules at work to get things done, and I routinely cheat in favor of story and player experience, when I am GM'ing an RPG.

Gaming is hard to explain to non-gamers. Miniatures are, on some ways, even worse, and terrain-making is darn-near impossible.

• Like 3

alone time - extroverts just don't understand

collecting minis - my friends can't understand why I need all of them even if they may never appear on the table.

minis - I work with people who are mostly from the rural backwoods of Virginia. Poker is the only game they know. 

• Like 8

No one really ever asks what makes me happy... :mellow: ...therefore explanations are rarely needed.

@Klarg: I have found that people understand model rail roading, so if I have to explain why I am gathering _______ for terrain purposes, if I tell them it involves something like model railroading they're onboard.

My working hypothesis is: Everyone likes trains.

• Like 8

No one really ever asks what makes me happy... :mellow: ...therefore explanations are rarely needed.

@Klarg: I have found that people understand model rail roading, so if I have to explain why I am gathering _______ for terrain purposes, if I tell them it involves something like model railroading they're onboard.

My working hypothesis is: Everyone likes trains.

Oddly enough, model railroads is where things ended up when I was trying to explain minis.  you may be right.

• Like 3

Oh yes:

Most of my friends live in other states, but we chat using instant messaging. Many people don't understand the only thing keeping me on an even keel some days are those friends and being able to interact with them in some way. Looking at my phone often means I'm holding a conversation that is just as important or deep as having one face-to-face. In fact, I can express myself more easily in writing than verbally, so someone coming up and just talking to me expecting me to set the other person aside is in for a rude awakening. They're interrupting me even though my voice isn't being heard audibly.

Not sure if anyone here would understand, either. Consider sitting and talking to your best friend. Could be about movies, games, politics, religion, history... all sorts of stuff you and your bestie talk about. You're in the middle of describing a recent news article you read and someone walks up and starts talking to you about how their toilet was backed up and the steps they had to go through to fix it, ignoring the fact you were talking to someone.

Just because the person on the phone is being typed to doesn't make the conversation less valid. Using your vocal cords isn't the only way to communicate. :/

(Sorry, got a bit ranty... my mother, who lives with me, does this all the time, but if I call and talk, then it's the epitome of manners and nice and not interrupting.)

• Like 8

Oh yes:

Most of my friends live in other states, but we chat using instant messaging. Many people don't understand the only thing keeping me on an even keel some days are those friends and being able to interact with them in some way. Looking at my phone often means I'm holding a conversation that is just as important or deep as having one face-to-face. In fact, I can express myself more easily in writing than verbally, so someone coming up and just talking to me expecting me to set the other person aside is in for a rude awakening. They're interrupting me even though my voice isn't being heard audibly.

Not sure if anyone here would understand, either. Consider sitting and talking to your best friend. Could be about movies, games, politics, religion, history... all sorts of stuff you and your bestie talk about. You're in the middle of describing a recent news article you read and someone walks up and starts talking to you about how their toilet was backed up and the steps they had to go through to fix it, ignoring the fact you were talking to someone.

Just because the person on the phone is being typed to doesn't make the conversation less valid. Using your vocal cords isn't the only way to communicate. :/

(Sorry, got a bit ranty... my mother, who lives with me, does this all the time, but if I call and talk, then it's the epitome of manners and nice and not interrupting.)

Totally get that.

• Like 2