Horse paint set idea

bandit86

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Horses come in quite a few different basic patterns: bay, chestnut, gray, buckskin, black, pinto, palamino, white are just a few that come to mind.  The set would be quite large.

However, some horse lover could create a list of good paints for each type.  For example, for a bay, start with Chestnut Brown or Mahogany Brown, highlight with the next color up (Rust Brown or Chestnut Brown), and shade with Mahogany Brown or Mahogany Brown with Brown Liner).  Mane and tail with Walnut Brown highlighted with Walnut Brown + Blackened Brown (and then highlighted again with a bit of Ashen Brown added).  Some Linen White for socks and possibly a star.  Maybe use an interference paint as a glaze for luster along the haunches.

Ron

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 4

A Learn to Paint Horses kit would be cool. The kits hold 11 paints, so there could be white, black, a couple of greys, a range of browns, and palomino. Add in a couple of Bones horses and a brush. It's the sort of thing craft stores love. Little girls still squeee! over horses.

• Like 11

For the protection of ears everywhere, I must protest against letting little girls find out about such a set...

That said, if there's TWO brushes, and possibly a metal colour in there(stirrups, bits, rivets holding the leather bits together, possibly also horseshoes if a horse is posing with a lifted leg), then yeah, it would make for a great idea.

Trying to remember if my Niece is still at the Squee!!! stage or has grown out of it, yet....

• Like 3

I would like a Horse paint set..maybe two?

Light Horse and Dark Horse?

I guess I'm not personally seeing the point to this.  This forum is exactly for this type of thing.  Getting pointers and suggestions on what colors would be good to paint the various horses and then just buying the paints.  I can't see Reaper ever boxing any sort of set of horse paints.  If they did then we'd already have elf, dwarf, fairy, etc paint sets from them!

• Like 1

I would like a Horse paint set..maybe two?

Light Horse and Dark Horse?

I guess I'm not personally seeing the point to this.  This forum is exactly for this type of thing.  Getting pointers and suggestions on what colors would be good to paint the various horses and then just buying the paints.  I can't see Reaper ever boxing any sort of set of horse paints.  If they did then we'd already have elf, dwarf, fairy, etc paint sets from them!

Maybe you're right. But as a LTPK it would work.

Include some horsies and off we go!

• Like 1

I see an LTPK focused on this even less likely.  I think they want those to focus on techniques, not specific creatures.  At least that is what their past and current LTPK is.  So I'd think there are many other LTPK subjects to hit well before a horse specific one.

A Learn to Paint Horses kit would be cool. The kits hold 11 paints, so there could be white, black, a couple of greys, a range of browns, and palomino. Add in a couple of Bones horses and a brush. It's the sort of thing craft stores love. Little girls still squeee! over horses.

Some big girls do as well, apparently.

I would really love an LTPK kit for horses, since I have a female centaur to paint, as well as a package of old Ral Partha Horse Lords ( and soon enough, Count Lorenth). There have been a few spectacular paint jobs posted here already, and I'm trying to learn from them.

• Like 2

Painted model scale horses is its own hobby. The major manufactures already produce paint you own kits.

Just search painting model horses and you will find tons of links and videos for every horse color you never knew existed. I suppose someone could make a list of useful colors but honestly horses come in so many shades it would be hard to screw it up.

;)

• Like 2

A member here, Lady Tam, was big into repainting the Breyers. She hasn't logged on since around 2013, though. :/

I vaguely recall some horse tutorials around here somewhere... may need to go searching tonight. Might have been on Coolmini, though.

• Like 2

A member here, Lady Tam, was big into repainting the Breyers. She hasn't logged on since around 2013, though. :/

I vaguely recall some horse tutorials around here somewhere... may need to go searching tonight. Might have been on Coolmini, though.

IIRC, Lady Tam did a couple like 5 years ago, about painting a few different horses.  No so much a tutorial, but some WIP and discussions in Show Off.  

• Like 3