2016 Annual contest discussion..

SamuraiJack

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.. does anyone want to run the 2016 contest?  Do we want to try something new  besides Large stuff to encourage more participation?

Squad/Party category?

Bones only category?

Limited color palette, Bones MSP?

I like the idea of a squad or adventuring party category, sounds like a fun thing to add to the mix. I also really like the current format for large figures to encourage people to paint up their bigger figures regardless of if it's a dragon, giant, bust, or something else. I'd like to paint up more figures for the next year of larger scale, this is another cool motivator for me.

ETA: I wouldn't mind helping to run the contest as long as I still get to participate. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

I like the idea of setting categories based on scales instead of (or in addition to) miniature size. 54mm scale, 72mm scale, etc. But I'd still like to continue with the larger minis, since this is really the only thing that gets me painting them. I might even have two this year (I've got the Fury Road Meat Thresher and a Sacral Vault minis that I need to work on.)

• Like 6

I would like to see some kind of themed category: best use of blue, best use of water, best use of chickens, etc. 

I agree that it should remain a Large Figure contest, to encourage people to tackle those figures. 

• Like 8

I would like to see some kind of themed category: best use of blue, best use of water, best use of chickens, etc. 

I agree that it should remain a Large Figure contest, to encourage people to tackle those figures. 

Totally down for "best use of chickens."

• Like 11

My only concern with something like limited palette (besides my head exploding if you pick "only blues") is that it might keep some people from entering the contest.

I'd love to see more and more entries each year and worry about anything that might keep people, especially new people, from entering.

• Like 6

My only concern with something like limited palette (besides my head exploding if you pick "only blues") is that it might keep some people from entering the contest.

I'd love to see more and more entries each year and worry about anything that might keep people, especially new people, from entering.

Yep, this.

I don't like doing limited palettes personally, I wouldn't partake in that kind of challenge. 

• Like 4

The problem with that is that Reaper produces so few minis in a large scale, that second category is unlikely to get many entries, or if they do, I expect to see a bunch of the same mini. I honestly think this year's categories worked out pretty well, though I can understand if people want to mix it up. I'm kind of ambivalent on the squad category, but I think combining it with dioramas makes sense if it is used.

• Like 5

The problem with that is that Reaper produces so few minis in a large scale, that second category is unlikely to get many entries, or if they do, I expect to see a bunch of the same mini. I honestly think this year's categories worked out pretty well, though I can understand if people want to mix it up. I'm kind of ambivalent on the squad category, but I think combining it with dioramas makes sense if it is used.

/agree

I think a simple genre based / single versus group  28mm would be nice. 

• Like 2

One major point of the year long contests is to have you paint something you normally wouldn't like dragons, giants or large scale general. The time frame gives people plenty of time to paint that large scale model or find the nerve to do it. Bring in normal 28mm range and its no different than the other contests throughout the year.

• Like 10

The problem with that is that Reaper produces so few minis in a large scale, that second category is unlikely to get many entries, or if they do, I expect to see a bunch of the same mini.

Maybe if someone *coughReaperBryancough* sees that happening, we can push for more 54mm scale Reaper models. Just throwing it out there.

• Like 7