Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

2016 Annual contest discussion..

I like 40mm+ it allows for more figures and bones 3 we have no idea when it will actually be delivered, possibly leading to people unable to paint something from that and get done in time if they are counting on it.

• Like 4

Large figure is where I would vote as well.  I don't paint well enough to even be considered for a win but I enjoy entering never less.

Small figs 28mm'ish, I think have enough challenges or even exchanges over the year so this is where I would prefer to spend my time on the smaller stuff.  

I have less than zero interest in painting armies  or owning armies. 

there you now have my 2 Canadian cents worth... about 1.50 American ^_^  

Edited by robinh
  • Like 7

I would like to see some kind of themed category: best use of blue, best use of water, best use of chickens, etc. 

I agree that it should remain a Large Figure contest, to encourage people to tackle those figures. 

I'd love to see a themed category, but I worry that unless the theme's very broad, a year feels like too long a time.

How about a drastic conversions / sculpts category?

• Like 5

So I'm standing at:

No to 28mm

Meh to squads/adventuring party

Yes to large models

Yes to busts

Yes to paint style

Yes to dragons only

Yes to Big Monsters only

What she said :;):
  • Like 5

Keep in mind that this is a year long contest. This gives people a lot of time. Even for people that are very busy. This way it gives people time to change it up a little. Try things they might not normally do. Push their own limits. I like the fact that time is on our sides. For me I like the larger figures but that is not to say I would not get into this if it was for the smaller ones too. I like the ideal of an adventuring party/squad but why not have it your party/squad acting out a scene of what they are fighting. Maybe they ran in to something large and in charge or maybe they ran into another party looking for the same treasure. Either way it will be fun again to start the year long contest. Here is my 2 cents:

What Came Through The Portal - Create a scene with a portal of some type and what you think would of came out.

Your Adventuring Party/Squad's Best Moment - Create a diorama that would define your party/squad's best moment. Maybe it was when you where fighting a green dragon for his/hers treasure or when your squad crushed  the opposed faction. Mainly just a small group of 4 (or more) acting out a scene.

Large Figure - 40mm + (This could be put it to bigger sizes)

This could go for Reaper only figures as well as non Reaper.

• Like 7

All valid options and opinions.

My guess is there will be enough interesting choices.

My personal stand:

No to 28mm ( there are indeed more challenges and contest for that out there)

Yes to squads/adventuring party ( preferably in a diorama, taking SIRMONTE's ideas into account)
Yes to large models
Yes to busts
Yes to paint style ( depending what that means, YES to certain style or theme, NO to limited pallete)
Yes to dragons only
Yes to Big Monsters only

And one more thing..it all seems to be Fantasy based, and although I love Fantasy the most, I think a nice Scifi or Chronoscope mini is also cool.

Especially with the adventuring party thing, it would also be cool to see a group of modern adventurers in a diorama.

Maybe against a big alien or CAV or something?

• Like 5

What Came Through The Portal - Create a scene with a portal of some type and what you think would of came out.

Your Adventuring Party/Squad's Best Moment - Create a diorama that would define your party/squad's best moment. Maybe it was when you where fighting a green dragon for his/hers treasure or when your squad crushed  the opposed faction. Mainly just a small group of 4 (or more) acting out a scene.

These could be separate.

I think there's a desire to want to add more than needs to be added to this challenge. I think the core of it, having a Large Figure Challenge, is far better than cluttering it up various other challenges or contests.

Maybe we need a contest idea thread (like minis we'd like to see) and then whoever feels like doing a contest can grab an idea from there. ^_^

• Like 6

Your Adventuring Party/Squad's Best Moment - Create a diorama that would define your party/squad's best moment. Maybe it was when you where fighting a green dragon for his/hers treasure or when your squad crushed the opposed faction. Mainly just a small group of 4 (or more) acting out a scene.

These could be separate.

I think there's a desire to want to add more than needs to be added to this challenge. I think the core of it, having a Large Figure Challenge, is far better than cluttering it up various other challenges or contests.

Maybe we need a contest idea thread (like minis we'd like to see) and then whoever feels like doing a contest can grab an idea from there. ^_^

+1

I personally liked the way that the large minis were broken down into the >99mm & <99mm. That way people have the option of not having to do a really big mini, and not need to compete with the bigger stuff.

Just saying...

• Like 5

And one more thing..it all seems to be Fantasy based, and although I love Fantasy the most, I think a nice Scifi or Chronoscope mini is also cool.

Especially with the adventuring party thing, it would also be cool to see a group of modern adventurers in a diorama.

Maybe against a big alien or CAV or something?

There have been far fewer large sci-fi minis produced, but I hope after Bones 3 releases we'll see a lot more of them in these contests. 

• Like 1

well imho...

I agree there's not much need for 28mm's in the contest (unless of course they are part of the diorama), nor armies - I already have two, don't feel the need for more (well I do but that's a personal problem ;))

so, Yes, *squads/adventurers in a diorama *with* a large monster (can leave the them open, but make sure it centers on basically the large figure)

Dragons only - yes

*large figures/monsters - yes (although I am not very conversant with sizes and likely would not be doing one so honestly what size categories are available are np)

Busts - yes

anyway just my two cents :)

edit - *these two would fit anything, as well as fantasy, which is why I think it'd be good to have them! so sci fi, horror, gothic steampunk, whatever

Edited by Guildenstern
  • Like 5

I might actually enter seeing as I have quite a few large models looking dolefully at me asking "Why hast thou forsaken us?"

So Reaper or non-, I can do a large. Will take me all year just to assemble and prime! :lol:

• Like 3

I might actually enter seeing as I have quite a few large models looking dolefully at me asking "Why hast thou forsaken us?"

So Reaper or non-, I can do a large. Will take me all year just to assemble and prime! :lol:

That's the spirit, you can Doooo Eeeeet!

• Like 3

These could be separate.

I like that idea!

• Like 3

I'm in for giants. Perhaps I can make my diorama this year. :unsure:

Would be a diorama with mostly Reaper minis, some giants and normal sized charakters.

I have one or two other large creatures I can make for a non-diorama entry.

Squad or party? Hmm maybe, I am painting most figures for my current pathfinder party at the moment. 6 minis, 2 are Reaper. But the problem is that, even though we are playing a pirate campaign, not all miniatures look uniform. Only thing that matches would be the bases at the end. And when I am finished I could put them on a large display base but it would not look like an epic scene or anything, just a few guys standing around. :D

I've nothing planned in that way but I like the idea of conversions too. Ok, I have one thing in mind but it's not a reaper mini.

And busts are nice too. Not my cup of tea but many like to paint them and is always nice to see.

• Like 3

That is absolutely why this contest is here- we've all got some of those huge minis giving us the stink eye.

I mean, I sometimes feel like buying a two foot tall dragon, or other absurdly large miniature.  Somehow I feel like buying them more often than I feel like painting them- and that's caused some friction between me and my minis collection in the past.

• Like 7