misterc

The Walking Dead: All Out War

Good news: They're not saving Michonne for retail-only waves.

Bad news: She looks like a mechanic.

2b7563d3a02d46c3abb3d32e65ddb207_origina

I mean, compare these miniatures with, say, CMON's Zombicide survivor range:  http://zombicide.com/img/rm_minis_s.jpg

And the $15 MSRP Michonne action figure costs less than her $20 MSRP booster pack (multiple figures): http://cdn3.volusion.com/ondfq.dtexo/v/vspfiles/photos/MFWD45717-2T.jpg?1422492707

I know they want the minis to be sturdy, but Michonne seems to have tree trunks for legs!

• Like 1

They've just added a $75 pledge level. You won't get the Atlanta and Green Farm expansions, but they'll be available retail. Myself, I'm not going to miss Otis.

What I *do* like is that I finally have some unarmed civilians. Five Zombicide KS and everyone still has a weapon!

338114275f238985c1b6e8bbad93fc0a_origina

Edited by ced1106

I remain unimpressed with the minis.

There are two recognizable minis so far: Carl and Michonne. Because any female figure with dreadlocks and a katana can pass for Michonne, and any kid with a trooper hat can pass for Carl.

I would like to see an Event card called "Stay In The House, Carl!" which the zombie player could use to get Carl out of the house, though... but since the game is licensed from the comic, this seems unlikely.

So two pledge levels and a handful of add-ons ... I thought Mantic had said they would keep this simple to avoid any shipping problems like with Dungeon Saga? And 18 days to go ... which means it will get even more complicated.

I think it still remains fairly uncomplicated, 4 addons the zombies will probably be sold as they are for retail so 2 different packs, and having 2 waves set up already should also make things easier. With their previous multiple waves it's been because production hasn't work out as planned. At least have a set at the beginning waves, even if Wave 2 items are ready when Wave 1 is, they know to hold it back til wave 2.

What Mantic must resist is opening up the PM after Wave 1 has gone, otherwise this is when it'll get complicated.

The thing is that they have already abandoned their proclaimed strategy. I do not doubt for a second that there will be more add-ons as - in my opinion - the project is definitely not as successful as Mantic thought it would be (with THAT IP behind, one should expect it to be at 500k easily by now).

There's an Emerson quote, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds", which, I think, also applies to business. Basically, if you have a strategy, you need to know when to abandon it and adapt a new one. 

*Because* the project is not as successful as Mantic thought it would be, they're changing their strategy. Certainly, there's some loss of face, but it's better than loss of funding.

(Now, if only Rick and Michonne's sculpts were improved...!)

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not advocating sticking to a certain strategy without the willingness to change it if it becomes necessary.

But: They came up with that strategy to avoid the shipping problems that have made Dungeon Saga for some (many?) people a mess (not to talk about other Mantic Kickstarters).

If they now give it up to make it more successful (and there is something like "too successful" on Kickstarter, too), I'm quite sure they will have the same problems again ... which will mean the next Mantic Kickstarter will need even more "enticement" to make people pledge ...

So... Michonne is a KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE?

So... one of the most iconic figures in the story, both on TV and comics, will NOT BE AVAILABLE to anyone who doesn't send in their money NOW?

Who thought this would be a good idea?

• Like 1

So... one of the most iconic figures in the story, both on TV and comics, will NOT BE AVAILABLE to anyone who doesn't send in their money NOW?

Who thought this would be a good idea?

The same person who approved that sculpt?

• Like 3

There's an Emerson quote, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds", which, I think, also applies to business. Basically, if you have a strategy, you need to know when to abandon it and adapt a new one. 

*Because* the project is not as successful as Mantic thought it would be, they're changing their strategy. Certainly, there's some loss of face, but it's better than loss of funding.

(Now, if only Rick and Michonne's sculpts were improved...!)

This is a good point (and I love the Emerson quote) ... but does it work with Kickstarter?   When a project changes its strategy significantly in mid-campaign it risks a loss of my confidence, and confidence is the key thing -- the main thing in my opinion -- that any crowdfunding project is asking from its backers. 

The change of strategy can have two effects on me:

1) I worry that they haven't prepared enough in advance and are making it up as they go.  This is not the same as improvising -- because improvising will work if you have planned to do it in advance and give yourself options to choose from as the project proceeds. 

2) I suspect that the campaign was launched in bad faith ("we said we wanted this much funding, but in reality we wanted ten times that and won't be satisfied with anything less.")  If you want my good faith, demonstrate your own.

• Like 2

Not a fan of Mantic's figures. Some of the soft plastic rubbish I received in their Kings of War project went straight to my recycle bin

When a project changes its strategy significantly in mid-campaign it risks a loss of my confidence, and confidence is the key thing -- the main thing in my opinion -- that any crowdfunding project is asking from its backers. 

Yes, that's definitely true. Another quote I like to use is a variant of Otto Bismark: "It's like watching sausage being made. Better not to see it."  :lol:

I think many of the problems -- certainly the delays and what causes them -- are the same problems retail has. Of course, the problems are now with *our* money, so, yes, I'd rather have a KS that's properly run at the start, rather than a change midstream, although such a change is better than sticking to problematic campaign.

The figure's *sculpt* is exclusive. Another sculpt of her will be released retail.

(Maybe it won't suck, either!)

Edited by ced1106
  • Like 1