misterc

The Walking Dead: All Out War

If I'm not impressed with the Kickstarter sculpt, I'm supposed to hope for the best LATER?

I really woulda thought Mantic had their heads on better than this.

Part of the reason for the 'chunkiness' of the sculpts is that the got a bunch of complaints about dungeon saga minis (which are also use the material planned here) arriving bent,

boardgamer and other non-mini experienced folk didn't understand you could fix that with hot water (or weren't prepared to), so they look to be going out of their way to give a 'perfect' out of the box experience by bulking up anything that might bend

part of the frustration of trying to reach out to a broader audience

As I'm more of a fan of the tv show I'll prob give this one a pass. Totally understand why they went with the comic over the show but still. It's kinda like the Munchkin Walking Dead expansion, thou that one I'll prob pick up if I ever pick up the Zombie Munchkin game.

• Like 1

Well, the comic license probably came cheaper. Nevertheless, I'd think they'd work a little harder at actually making the minis resemble the characters. Rick's a pretty lean drink of water, but his sculpt's downright chunky.

Not gonna happen; the Dixon brothers were strictly from the TV show, which is a totally different license.

That being said, I'd buy Merle and Daryl miniatures. Assuming they actually resembled the characters.

Studio Miniatures makes TWD TV series minis.

Especially the newer minis from them are really looking good.

Norm - Daryl Dixon
Scott - Hershel Greene
Dana & Michelle - Michonne
Rich & Familiy - Rick, Carl, Carol
Cole - Merle Dixon (mmh, I think it is not Merle...)

Few minis are movie stars like Arnie, Eddiy Murphy or from the series Miami Vice...

Edited by Teskal
  • Like 2

Studio Miniatures makes TWD TV series minis.

Especially the newer minis from them are really looking good.

Norm - Daryl Dixon

Scott - Hershel Greene

Dana & Michelle - Michonne

Rich & Familiy - Rick, Carl, Carol

Cole - Merle Dixon (mmh, I think it is not Merle...)

Few minis are movie stars like Arnie, Eddiy Murphy or from the series Miami Vice...

Oh. Those are the guys that do the Not Monty Python and The Holy Grail characters.

A lot of Studios minis look to be hit and miss, I'm guessing that's due to different sculptors but I don't know as I don't see any listed, however when they're good they look to be very nice.

Anyway, Some of their stuff has been on my want list for a long time but I wasn't interested in their Walking Dead minis until now.

I've had a chance to try the rules now, both solo and two player.

The rules really give the feel of creeping around and trying to avoid the walkers, and the threat level mechanic helps.

I have written a bit more on my blog (link below).

@misterc

Thank you for the write up, much apprecieated.

So this is a wargame where you actually don't need to fight each other at all to win?  (and it is called "All Out War". Go figure. Sounds like it should have been called "Steath Looter instead") ;P

But I understand you liked it, which is the important bit. How in your opinion does this stand up to/ compare other zombie.themed games you have played?

• Like 1

Only reason I could find why it's called "All Out War",  a story arc that's not yet represented by the game: http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Volume_20:_All_Out_War_-_Part_One

TWD isn't a war comic. That is, "all out" fighting is often considered a last resort, although they're plenty of actual fighting in the comics.

If you want a conventional war skirmish game, this isn't it.

Inksplat on BGG: "Played a game this afternoon and loved it. 

It's super tight and plays nothing like any skirmish game I've played before. The event deck keeps you constantly paranoid, and the walkers are everywhere. We started the game with 6 on the board and ended up like 12. 

Game ended with both of us losing due to my opponent raising the threat when he saw he couldn't win, and it felt totally thematic--all his friends were dead, so the last guy just unloaded on the Walkers, bringing a horde down on us. And on my side, it was totally avoidable--I played a large part in getting the threat up, and didn't do hardly anything to bring it back down, so there wasn't any "aw man, that's cheap!" It's something you've got to watch out for, and it really fits the them, that if I can't have it, no one can."

• Like 1