misterc

The Walking Dead: All Out War

I think Mantic are struggling with this one for two reasons:

1. A bit of a bad reputation from previous KS.  I backed Deadzone and had an ok experience (some minis were missing and/or broken, but they got replaced), but I know others felt Mantic let them down with Dreadball and Dungeon Saga due to lateness or things like poor casting material.

2. The sculpts aren't that good.  On the whole the minis are just way too chunky.  Mantic have stated this is so they can cast them as one piece minis and not have to worry about the minis breaking.  However, I think they've go too far and many of the minis look like they've got tree trunks for legs as a result.  Michonne, Andrea and Amy all look terrible to me.

I've thought about backing the game a few times, but the terrible sculpts have stopped me.

• Like 1

I think Mantic are struggling with this one for two reasons:

1. A bit of a bad reputation from previous KS.  I backed Deadzone and had an ok experience (some minis were missing and/or broken, but they got replaced), but I know others felt Mantic let them down with Dreadball and Dungeon Saga due to lateness or things like poor casting material.

I've had shipping problems with every Mantic kickstarter, and most orders I've placed from them directly outside of kickstarter. I decided some time ago that if there were any Mantic KS's with anything I was interested in that I'd wait for retail.

2. The sculpts aren't that good.  On the whole the minis are just way too chunky.  Mantic have stated this is so they can cast them as one piece minis and not have to worry about the minis breaking.  However, I think they've go too far and many of the minis look like they've got tree trunks for legs as a result.  Michonne, Andrea and Amy all look terrible to me.

I've thought about backing the game a few times, but the terrible sculpts have stopped me.

Yeah. I don't understand that excuse. One just has to look at the Zombiecide miniatures to see that well proportioned one piece minis can be produced that will stand up to gameplay.

I've been a fan of Mantics from their very beginning, but sometimes they make it difficult.

It seems as if they're continuously rushing things and it's showing in the quality of their product and service. ::(:

• Like 3

I'm not backing this (yet) but I have to say that, except for Michonne (?!??!?!) I really like the minis here.  They have a nice chunky Murch feel that appeals to me much more than the weedy, thin (though realistically proportioned) Zombicide figures. 

They should just be honest and say they look this way because they like how they look, rather than coming up with excuses. 

Also, this project is confusing.  What was holding me back was my erroneous assumption that the sweet spot was the $125 pledge level.  But I finally found the hidden away image showing the $75 March to War pledge level, and it looks fairly good too.  It includes a bunch of mini stretch goals like Shane, Lori, Andrea and Amy, loot markers -- which I thought were only a part of the $125 Something to Fear Level.

Are they adding these to both pledge levels but only announcing that they are being added to the more expensive pledge level? 

Anyway, I had some trouble getting the straight goods here.

pledgelevel-REDUX-75-02.jpg

• Like 1

It because when they were hit the $75 didn't exist, they brought it in dues to comments.

Everything marked Wave1 is in the March to War pledge, Wave 2 is only in Something to Fear

• Like 1

I'm not backing this (yet) but I have to say that, except for Michonne (?!??!?!) I really like the minis here.  They have a nice chunky Murch feel that appeals to me much more than the weedy, thin (though realistically proportioned) Zombicide figures. 

They should just be honest and say they look this way because they like how they look, rather than coming up with excuses. 

Interesting. I have a lot of Bob Murch's minis, 20 in fact :;): , and I don't get the same Murch vibe from these as you're getting.

They're definitely not holding the same appeal for me.

And a question for backers. Is there a pledge level for just the wrecked vehicles?

Just checked with mantic and no you can't pledge just for addons so you would need to get at least the $75 pledge level to access any additional addons.

• Like 1

Just checked with mantic and no you can't pledge just for addons so you would need to get at least the $75 pledge level to access any additional addons.

Thanks for checking.

With that I'm even more inclined to wait for reviews On Warlords upcoming Zombie game as I'm liking their miniatures more anyway.

Plus they have motorcycles and biker gangs.

I don’t think Mantic are making up excuses as to why the minis are so chunky.  I believe them that they got the minis sculpted that way to avoid minis either breaking off their bases or having a big lean to them.

Unfortunately they took it too far and now many of the minis (especially Michonne, Amy and Andrea) look like they’ve come from a fantasy land where their parents were beardless Dwarves.

I’m really not a fan of the chunky sculpts and that’s enough to stop me from backing (amongst other things, like the rules, which don’t seem to be fully formed yet, or if they are still need some work).

Edited by Olaf the Stout
  • Like 1

Yep. CMON's had insert trays since forever. Mantic needs to do better research about what makes a successful KS.

How in your opinion does this stand up to/ compare other zombie.themed games you have played?

Sorry I haven't replied earlier, hate it when real life gets in the way of fun

Anyway.  My main experience of Z games is the board games Zombies and Last Night on Earth.  

Z's simplistic game play is ideal for one offs, and is adaptable to many different settings (we even did a Space hulk style variant once).  LNOE has more character depth, but still plays out very much like a board game.  

TWD does play more as a story, in fact it felt more like a wargame than a board game if you see what I mean.  The play felt tense and in keeping with the source material.  It's not blasting hordes of Zs, there are plenty of great games like that.  

It does do the small group of survivors very well, and that, plus my love for the IP means I'm all in.

the expansions give you the chance to play through the story.  They sound a little like the old GW LotR books; each following a section of the story and presenting it in game terms.  This update https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/the-walking-dead-all-out-war-miniatures-game/posts/1501229gives more of an idea than I could.

TLDR If you want a game that follows a group of survivors in a tense series of encounters then take a look (especially if you like the source material).

If you want a mass combat game with hordes of Zombies, it might not be what you are looking for.

I don’t think Mantic are making up excuses as to why the minis are so chunky.  I believe them that they got the minis sculpted that way to avoid minis either breaking off their bases or having a big lean to them.

Unfortunately they took it too far and now many of the minis (especially Michonne, Amy and Andrea) look like they’ve come from a fantasy land where their parents were beardless Dwarves.

I’m really not a fan of the chunky sculpts and that’s enough to stop me from backing (amongst other things, like the rules, which don’t seem to be fully formed yet, or if they are still need some work).

Do all the sculpts look a bit odd? Is it the strangeness of the chunky michonne that is at influence, because even rick, carl an lori are looking a bit dwarven-bodied to me. Does anyone else think rick's head is a just a little too big for the body?

Yes! Glad someone else said so! 

Glenn still looks like a kid, and Tyreese is pulling back that hammer *waaaaay* back. Many of the popular characters don't have sculpts yet (I thought they has 120 of them prepared?), so who knows how they'll look upon delivery.

The zombies look fine and it's nice to see some survivors who aren't armed. Plus free cars and loot markers. I guess this might be a good entry point for anyone who doesn't already have their zombie miniatures.

The minis have the same proportions as GW imperial guard cadian troopers, i.e thick-set children. And i cant remember anyone complaining about those.

All the wierd and wonky posing would be because of one-piece casting limitations combined with not too inspired sculpting.

Nobody runs like glenn does in that mini with the same side leg and arm forward. That is just bad posing. They did it with one if the deadzone marauders too.

Imperial Guardsmen / Cadian can get away with being "chunky" / thick-set / muscular (after all, they train hard every day, are professional soldiers etc) ... but every character in TWD, even the women, ... nope, that's another story.

Also: Imperial Guardsmen: larger units of miniatures, the single model is not THAT important ... here we are talking about character models.

Posing is an additional problem.