[SPLIT]The Monday Miniature: 2016

CashWiley

Excuse me if you've got something lined up, Andy. :) I study a LOT of minis, so if you need me to fill in, just let me know. Work is crazy here, but I can at least post a pic from my study archives! If you've lined up another, just post it and we can have two awesome inspirational things to discuss...

This week my choice is Karol Rudyk's Twilight Knight. One of my very favorite painted minis! You folks know I love KD and Karol, so this one just blows me away. I think this is the piece that turned me onto Karol's work in the first place. It is such an excellent palette, so brooding and atmospheric. Fits the piece so well. And then you can dig into the details like the freehand and great accent color usage.

d850fb3a57522c0ce7cd29c29cd276de.jpg

Hope the link works, the only place I can find it online is in Jessica Rich's pinterest :)

• Like 12

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure, as I don't know how Karol paints :) I would probably say yes. I love his use of the greens and yellows, probably a lot of glazes. Even the stuff like the armor and flesh has hints of them.

I would love to have that level of control over my palette as well as his ability to paint in the lower values so well. I compare this to the TK I painted and weep :)

• Like 1

• Artists

This is also a nice example of one way to use green and red together without evoking the image of Christmas in the viewer's mind.

I'm not sure it's a limited palette in the sense of using X pots of paint, but it's definitely a tight colour scheme and demonstrates well that you don't need to use a different colour for every separate area on the figure for them to be visually readable as separate areas.

• Like 8

I could not paint this, so take this with a grain of salt, but there's one thing that's bugging me here.  The head he's carrying feels left out of the uber-high-contrast palette that's been used for everything else.  I realize that the textures are generally less complicated, and there are fewer peaks and valleys, but it feels somehow less "done."  Maybe a bit more shade around the eyes, or more variation in the skin would help.

It's an exceptional piece, but that one thing bugs me a little.

Also, hello everyone. :)

• Like 1

I like the mini and the paint job on that one, but it lacks something for me to be honest.

*ponders for a few moments and continues to study the paint job*

Okay I think I know what bothers me with it (these may be super nit-picks, but with someone as good as Karol it's rather significant for me):

• The palette is too limited for me, I like a bit more oomph.
  • I don't care for the red glazing on the front folds of the cloak on his chest making it darker than the inside.
  • Some of the swirls are incomplete which draw my eye towards them.
  • Finally, the eyes seem to be too wide apart like looking in two directions or having a lazy eye for the left eye. 
  • Like 1

Is that red glazing supposed to be blood?

I believe it's just contrast for the dark green.

Isn't it usually better to do that in the shadows? Then you get to use color theory and the darker contrast of the opposite color in the shadows themselves rather on the highlight areas. 

• Like 1

Nah, color contrast can be used anywhere :) In this case, my take on it is that he's using color contrast to show that those areas aren't as lit as the ones highlighted with the higher value of the local color (green). The value of those brown/reds are about the same as the neighboring green, but more interesting and provide more depth to the piece.

Be careful about clinging to 'rules', there are as many ways to use them improperly as there are ways to break them properly :)

• Like 3

Nah, color contrast can be used anywhere :) In this case, my take on it is that he's using color contrast to show that those areas aren't as lit as the ones highlighted with the higher value of the local color (green). The value of those brown/reds are about the same as the neighboring green, but more interesting and provide more depth to the piece.

Be careful about clinging to 'rules', there are as many ways to use them improperly as there are ways to break them properly :)

Not trying to say it doesn't look great, but my head isn't wrapping around that. I respect breaking the "rules," and a lot of times it looks awesome, it's something I noticed that looked out of place to me, perhaps I'm too "trained" and set in my ways...  :huh:

It's a great figure to discuss though, it shows what people can do with color that will get different reactions from the audience.   ^_^

• Like 1

I think the red/brown pantaloons look somewhat out of place. As the central focus of the 'triangle of red' (the eyes, blood on the sword and the severed head) it seems to break up the flow of the clothing and pulls my eye away from the mini's face.  Only thing I see "wrong" with the piece,  really.

Edited by Seer of the Pitt
  • Like 2

50 shades of green.

Overall It's an impressive paint job.

I like it, however ( and mind you, it's above my skill level so just my view) I do find the unfinished swirls a bit off.

And somehow I don't care that much for the eyes.

I really DO like the armoured boots.

• Like 1