Reaper Bones 77204 "Cassiatta" (92609 from KS II) converted with spare arms from "Grind" board game, random 40K Ork bitz, and wire

2016-01-13-reaper-92609-ikrpg-brute-thra

I went through the Bones gallery and pinned this down as 77204 "Cassiatta" (AKA 92609 from the Bones II Kickstarter).  I guess it's supposed to be a Dark Elf warrior, given the pointy ears and pointy just-about-everything and general "nasty" vibe.

Original Mini from Gallery:

77204_w_1.jpg

I had some brief musings of painting such a figure up humorously with lots of stitches and scars on the suspiciously-exposed patches of elf flesh (as contrasted with the HUGE SHIELD and pointy shoulder pads, which don't seem to be viable accessories if your defense strategy is to *dodge* all the incoming attacks -- but, hey, Dark Elves are just ALL ABOUT the Dark Elf look) but I didn't do anything with it, because I've got a HUGE PILE of Reaper Bones minis and more immediate figures that need some paint.

Until now.  In our Iron Kingdoms / Unleashed campaign, the GM has decided to make use of Cryx (magical steampunk undead) adversaries, and I happen to have a Cryx army, but for an encounter, he wanted a Brute Thrall ... and wouldn't you know?  I haven't any of those, and it seemed excessive to rush out to spend $18 on a figure that's a slightly-glorified mook that'll probably only appear in a single encounter and then only briefly.

Now, a Brute Thrall normally looks like this:

31OjsfLgsaL.jpg

That's a 40mm base.  Big, bulked-up undead magical-steampunk guy with HYOOGE fists, and smokestacks coming out back.

However, those silly sculptors at Privateer Press came up with a "convention-exclusive" alternate-sculpt Brute Thrall (AKA the "Femme Fatale") that's on the same 40mm base, with the same game stats, but it looks like THIS:

9a81d9a8adae6a6c14057a2785baaa82.jpg

(I'm getting a slight "Bride of Frankenstein" vibe here, I think on account of the high cheekbones and the pulled-back "hair" / headpiece.)

Now, I thought, I just might be able to convert something that at least looks a little like this.  So, I picked out "Cassiatta" (77204) from the Bones box, because I had a female warrioress type with some exposed skin (that I could paint stitches on), some arms that are AWAY from the body (so they can be trimmed off and replaced), and she's one of the taller female figures (since while the fists will still be laughably huge, I suppose there's some vague point where if the body is too small, it would just look ludicrous).

The replacement arms are spare Cygnar Runner arms from the "Grind" board game (since I was able to get it on sale, a great source of cheap plastic Khador and Cygnar warjacks as baselines for customizing for the RPG, rather than chopping up a much more expensive pewter model).  They're pinned, of course, since there's no way glue alone would support that sort of attachment.

The back piece is from a grab-bag bunch of Warhammer 40000 Space Orks.  It's some sort of exhaust-pipe thing that might have been originally intended for an Ork vehicle of some sort, but since I don't have the vehicle to go with it, it doesn't matter much.  The great thing about cobbled-together undead armies (especially STEAMPUNK undead) is that I don't have to worry about finding the exact same piece twice, because there's no enforced uniform code in the undead force; they're all cobbled together, so variety is good.

For the added cables, I used my standard fallback for add-on vague-tech cabling circa the 1990s: I take a piece of safety wire (a slightly thicker gauge) and then spiral-wrap some of my very thinnest picture-hanging wire around it, and snip to length, with a little leftover space for the interior wire to extend to fit into the drilled holes at each point of attachment (and I use some needle nose pliers to carefully bend it around to something resembling a curve between points A and B).  There's no need to paint it metallic, because it already IS metallic (although I went back and dry-brushed with a "platinum white metallic" for some added highlight shine).

I painted the fleshy areas very pale ("Denim Blue" base, then "Snowflake White"), and free-handed some "stitches" with one of my older brushes with only 3-4 strands left together to paint very, very thin lines.

Oh yeah, and in the actual encounter, the big bad Brute Thrall went down like, SPLAT.  Hmm.  Okay, so that was a little anticlimactic, but I guess to be expected.  The more a mini stands out, the more the PCs are going to prioritize pounding on it, right?  I still had more fun, I figure, than if I'd struggled to cobble together something from my "bitz box" that looked like a "standard" Brute Thrall.  :)

• Like 13
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She's listed as an anti-paladin on her metal version... Personally, I think the most outrageous thing about her is the ridiculous high-heeled armored stripper boots meant to look like hooves. (As a side note, she's a very close match to a piece of art from one of the prestige classes in a D&D 3.5 splat book.)

• Like 1

She's listed as an anti-paladin on her metal version... Personally, I think the most outrageous thing about her is the ridiculous high-heeled armored stripper boots meant to look like hooves. (As a side note, she's a very close match to a piece of art from one of the prestige classes in a D&D 3.5 splat book.)

Heh.  When it comes to fantasy costumes, sometimes I imagine that half the work in enchanting magical armor, robes, etc., just goes into purely superficial things, such as, "This armor will somehow protect you despite how little of you it actually covers," or "These amazingly large shoulder pads and spikes will NOT impale you in the head when you raise your arm to strike," or "The enormous horns on this helmet o' evil will NOT get caught on the doorway as you stride purposefully through, thus humiliating you in front of your giggling minions," or "This cloak is enchanted to billow constantly despite the lack of a wind in your standard dungeon, and to never ever snag on branches or random spikes."  And that's before you even get to the part where it somehow makes you less likely to die than if you'd just worn plain ol' ordinary armor or clothes.  :)

So, the more ridiculous the costume, the better clue you have that this guy is so powerful HE'S GOT MAGIC TO SPARE.

Either that or it's just one colossal bluff.  I suppose that's possible.  Or lonely NPC wizards who burn their life force / XP on creating permanent enchanted items spend way too much time reading the wrong scrolls, and having a very warped idea of what constitutes practical adventuring wear.

• Like 1

That turned out great!

For the added cables, I used my standard fallback for add-on vague-tech cabling circa the 1990s: I take a piece of safety wire (a slightly thicker gauge) and then spiral-wrap some of my very thinnest picture-hanging wire around it, and snip to length, with a little leftover space for the interior wire to extend to fit into the drilled holes at each point of attachment (and I use some needle nose pliers to carefully bend it around to something resembling a curve between points A and B).  There's no need to paint it metallic, because it already IS metallic (although I went back and dry-brushed with a "platinum white metallic" for some added highlight shine).

For a more consistent look to the wire wrap that looks very similar to what you do you can use guitar string.

It also has the benefit that you don't need to spend time doing the wrapping.

img_1136_corrections_cropped_resized_380

Here I had to replace the cabling on the flamethrower since the cables cast onto the figure were too short.

Edited by arclance
  • Like 2

That is tubular!  Now that's what a conversion should look like!  All the awesomeness of the figure aside, the main part of the base is really cool.  Did you do that part yourself too?

I "did that part" only in the sense that I borrow a lot from various sources.  It's not homemade from scratch.  I collect a few different items with interesting textures to employ as "sort-of push molds" onto putty (my favorite is a piece from a Disney micro-playset for "Hunchback of Notre Dame" from a thrift store -- a relief "carpet" pattern that, inversed in putty, makes an impression like tile seams), and also some Instant Mold to grab interesting details from terrain pieces.  That, and I occasionally work in bits of Hirst Arts Castlemolds.  The complex curlicue engravings on this particular base are impressions from a Micro Arts Studios "arcane" base.  (Micro Arts Studios' "Mystic" and "Arcane" bases are among my favorites for IKRPG, since they're a nice mix of magical, outdoorsy, and "steampunk" elements.)  The "grass" is just a speck of extra putty textured with a hobby knife.

• Like 1