• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ub3r_n3rd

• Erifnogard

• NomadZeke

• Chaoswolf

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a reasonable amount of sleep last night, and I guess I'm adapting to my current stress level because my hands are shaking hardly any more than normal, so I might just go do some painting today! That would be an exciting change. ::):

Re: Pratchett - I love that he sent Gaiman a letter posthumously saying that he should go ahead and do Good Omens by himself. I don't know that I'd trust anyone else to get it right.

• Like 7

Hogfather is very good. It doesn't read like the book, but is still very good.

I've read the book so many times (and aloud every year when the children were small) that I was mentally comparing and contrasting what got left out and why, what got simplified and why, and what reveals and plot elements were completely reordered and why.

What was a slowly building, ominous mystery with a late reveal in the book was laid out clear in the first minutes of the movie. It made for a smoother viewing experience with less confusion.

I never pegged the Oh God of Hangovers as Welsh, though.

• Like 8

Sabbath was good fun. Music was great, but I'm not a fan of Ozzy as a showman; he had about four phrases that he repeated at various intervals, but that was about it as far as audience interaction went.

I had a great time, but I enjoyed Blue Öyster Cult more.

I got to see the Black & Blue tour back in 1980 (Aloha Stadium, Oahu, HI). Good show. And even then I think I preferred BOC.

Glad you had fun.

Rincewind I always envisioned as a relatively young, perennial grad student. Not some greybeard old Gandalf-type, but more of a tall, underfed young fellow built for running, with a scraggly beard and sandals.

Congratulations, I am now imagining Shaggy from Scooby Doo as a wizard.

Something like this fellow?

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/03212

I love that figure, btw, and have painted a version that's just waiting for me to finish his basing. I've said before that I would really like a full adventuring party in that style.

• Like 7

Sabbath was good fun. Music was great, but I'm not a fan of Ozzy as a showman; he had about four phrases that he repeated at various intervals, but that was about it as far as audience interaction went.

I got to see the Black & Blue tour back in 1980 (Aloha Stadium, Oahu, HI). Good show. And even then I think I preferred BOC.

Glad you had fun.

Rincewind I always envisioned as a relatively young, perennial grad student. Not some greybeard old Gandalf-type, but more of a tall, underfed young fellow built for running, with a scraggly beard and sandals.

I love that figure, btw, and have painted a version that's just waiting for me to finish his basing. I've said before that I would really like a full adventuring party in that style.

Kind of, except Rincewind also has a shabby and ludicrous wide-brimmed pointy wizard hat with "WIZZARD" picked out on it with sequins.

How would you define the style of that mini, if you were looking for more like it?

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 7

Glad you had fun.

Kind of, except Rincewind also has a shabby and ludicrous wide-brimmed pointy wizard hat with "WIZZARD" picked out on it with sequins.

How would you define the style of that mini, if you were looking for more like it?

Good question. So far, I've defined the style as "Like Iltheus, Young Mage".  ^_^

I think what I'm seeing is a caricatured "gangly young adventurer". So characters with old and/or ill-fitting equipment that haven't really filled out into mature adults. Fantasy Adventurer High School?

• Like 8

Saturday evening here..

Today I painted, I did most of the basecoat for Countess Karnstein.

We did some shopping, and I made dinner.

I halved Zucchini's , stuffed them with red bell pepper, ground beef, feta and some tomato puree.

Then in the oven...

Now relaxation and digesting ...

It's tough being us sometimes. :upside:

*** Flosses his teeth with some red cloth***

Yeah we're being discriminated and demonized!!!

*** Spits out a small fingerbone***

Nice that you have seen them though.

I have seen them twice. One time with Gillan during the Born Again tour, and once in the 90's during their reunion tour.

By then Ozzy had fried so much of his brain, that he had a hard time remembering lyrics.

Every two lines of a song he held the mike up to the audience to "sing along".

And he tried to jump, like in the early days... but a few inches aren't that impressive..

I loved the music though as I am a Sabbath fan. and it was pure nostalgia to see the line up.

BOC never appealed that much to me. I like a few songs ( Godzilla, Don't Fear The Reaper and Burning for You) but that's about it.

• Like 6

Morning all!

Yes! Good news indeed.

And Ub3r! Get with the watching!!

I have exactly ONE Crown Royal bag. It holds many dice.I know many gamers who have ONE Crown Royal bag. It was kind of a rite of passage in my social circle to buy ONE bottle of Crown Royal, for the bag. And then drink yourself stupid...

I think my husband may once have had a Crown Royal bag, but if so it has died long since.

My first dice bag was lost with all contents around 1986 and I still am not quite considering everything acquired after that my "real" dice yet.

My second dice bag was gotten at an SCA event and was heavy gold curtain brocade. It lasted well until it abruptly disintegrated all at once a few years back.

My husband suggested I dragoon one of the reusable printed cotton gift bags I had made up, so I fit my dice into one with a print of flying saucers and little kids dressed as spacemen drawn crayon-style on a black background, a remnant from a gift pair of overalls for the baby of a friend who was involved with Star Trek in a professional capacity.

Then my husband surprised me with a dice bag made from a sparkly spider print with glow-in-the-dark skull beads on the drawstrings. I also got more dice, so I put all the d6s and my last original D&D dice in the flying saucer bag and everything else in the spider bag.

Now I have just acquired a bag which came with a free soap sample. It's a little small and it is white velvet -- the worst dust magnet since, well, it's just the worst. Ask any rueful winter bride. It is also *extremely* fragrant. But it -- it wants to hold dice.

Hmm. Must consider.

I've never had a crown royal dice bag... My current one is from TSR's silver anniversary tour. A little black bag with a TSR patch on it.

Mmmm.. The first cup of coffee is the best, isn't it? Now to do some writing for my blog. I'm behind on the A to Z challenge...

I've never had a dice bag, I used a small bin (similar to a baby wipes box) for a long time, then I bought a couple of two layer divided craft bins that are about 5"x9" and each layer is about 2" tall that I have my dice in now, and I bought a pound of dice shortly after. And I just bought two sets of 24 Chessex d6's yesterday that are still in their boxes.

• Like 4

Honestly, I'll probably end up selling most of the bones 2 and bones 3 core sets. I like the bones material but my tastes have changed so much over the last year, I don't see myself ever getting around to most of them. The big ones, I'll keep. Love the larger bones minis.

I stashed mine along with my metals.  My interest in fantasy (of all media forms) is presently super dead.  Will probably come back, which is why I'm holding onto them.

I've been painting Flames of War and watching war movies (and also The Pacific and Band of Brothers), but as much as I love Return of the King (which is really rather a lot) I don't think I could sit through it right now if you offered me 1000 bucks.

Even in American bucks.

• Like 8

Shopping to replace light fixtures...joy

You're looking at it the wrong way.

You're shopping for new light fixtures...so your hobby area will be brighter than the sun. :poke:

Electricity finally restored. COFFEE!!!!

Yay!

Sister had to be taken to the emergency room today. Severe headache and nausea. She is okay, they just need to up her pain meds and steroids. Neurosurgeon says all looks fine. No more scares.

No more scares indeed. I'm glad to hear that all is (relatively) good.

• Like 5