Icebreaker games - Love em or hate em?

kristof65

So tonight I was forced (via social pressure) to participate in an Icebreaker game with some other parents at my daughter's school. Then afterwards, when I complained to the observer from the school district about that in my discussion with her about the whole event, I got the distinct impression that she was trying to make me feel guilty for not wanting to participate in "a simple icebreaker activity that helps parents get to know one another."

Fact is, it didn't help me get to know anyone at all - I was too anxious to retain anything that was being said. And I clearly wasn't the only one who felt this way.

• Like 7

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate "icebreaker" activities. I suffer from major social anxiety issues.

These are Dave's RoE for social settings:

1. If I want to talk to you, I will. 
  2. If I don't, I won't.
  3. If you talk to me first, I will be polite until I determine whether I want to talk to you, or not. Then repeat steps 1 and 2.

So, basically, if you engage me in conversation, and I don't know you, I will be polite. If I suddenly stop talking, it's best just to walk away.

• Like 9

Icebreakers... Teambuilding exercises...

I effing HATE THEM!

No one has ever been able to prove that a 'Teambuilding exercise' actually works the way it was intended.

If it does make people team up, it's only in their hate for whoever came up with the idea.

And if it was any sort of competition with prizes, odds are that they've now torn apart whatever whatever nebulous sense of 'us' that existed in the organisation.

I've been doing thse things for over a decade. From the simple puzzles, murder mysteries, acting scenes(I really hate those), to putting up a large tent in strong wind, while blindfolded...

Thankfully, my boss doesn't believe in teambuilding exercises, but do believe in 'being social' so...

One year when my department had their annual get-together we went 'indoor skydiving'...

http://anthony-lion.livejournal.com/310896.html

(Two-day get-togethers. First day is for hanging out and fun stuff, the other is for business talk)

• Like 5

Mr. M is my ice breaker. Sometimes I need him to, sometimes I don't. I don't enjoy ice breaker games. Give me awhile, I'll warm up. Or bribe me with chocolate or booze for instant bubbly. I may follow you around a bit though, so be prepared for that. I may not even speak much, but I'm consciously there.

It was pretty insensitive of that teacher to do that.

• Like 5

I'm a shy wilting flower, so I don't....bwahaha! I love 'em. I double down, try to get people laughing and lowering their guard. People are too uptight, life is short and you should just have fun. If it's awkward and everyone knows it, just play off that. Of course, if someone wants to be a sourpuss and get all rules-lawyery (cough), I can be the opposite of fun, too. I don't have much time for people who don't want to have fun.

MM, I'm my fiancee's icebreaker, too. Oddly, she's great at small talk and also important questions. We make a great team, I can break ice and keep people relaxed and she actually makes sense and sticks to the script.

• Like 5

Nope, not a fan. Unless they pull out Cards Against Humanity. Then I'm all in.

Ok, I was all ready to say I hate all ice breaker games/activities but I would totally be on board for Cards Against Humanity. I find it to be an excellent way to judge whether I'm going to get along with someone.

• Like 6

I don't have much time for people who don't want to have fun.

Being forced to socialize isn't fun. Being embarrassed in front of strangers isn't fun. Talking to people just as unwilling to be there isn't fun.

This.

it's not that I don't want to have fun, nor that I dislike getting to know other people, it's just that to me, these games are the equivalent of someone getting right in my face and telling me to like them, and then getting all pouty and demanding if I try and back away from them. 

• Like 5