Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Paint brushes, some visual comparisons

So my old Winsor & Newton series 7 size 1 finally died.

post-8022-0-61177300-1452875050.jpg

Last year (or possibly longer ago) there was some concern about US Fish and Wildlife importing regulations making kolinsky sable paint brushes much harder to find in the US.  As a result, I bought some brands I hadn't tried to test out should trusty old Winsor and Newtons become unavailable.

I've had good experience with Old Holland paints, so I decided to try their brushes too.

Brush size has no standardization or consistency from brand to brand.  Each picture below shows a new Old Holland Series 7001 Kolinsky Size 4 brush (above) and a new Winsor and Newton Series 7 Size 1 brush (below), and as you can see they are pretty much the same size.

Before washing (as came from store):

post-8022-0-53277800-1452875821.jpg

Washed, with centimeter scale:

post-8022-0-36289000-1452875842.jpg

The Old Holland brush has a much longer handle and a thicker grip near the business end:

post-8022-0-25815100-1452875849.jpg

Details of markings:

post-8022-0-79314100-1452875827.jpg

I haven't tested them in painting yet, but while washing them they seemed to have about the same amount of "snap".

• Like 8

I definitely like the handle on that Old Holland better. The thicker grip would be perfect for my big, fat fingers. Well, for parts of the painting, at least. Sometimes, I get all the way up on the ferrule to stop the shaking.

Have you tried the Army Painter brushes with triangular shafts, or even those triangular 'pencil grips' people put on pens?

The shafts on the AP brushes are fine. The brushes themselves, OTOH...  :zombie:

I wouldn't know if they're good or bad, really. They're the best I have right now.

(Waiting for the Norwegian Krone to recover a bit before ordering Raphael 8404 brushes)

Anyway, the important thing is that the triangular profile makes for a much better grip, and that again translates to better brush control. 

And if you could fit one of those triangular rubber grips onto your brush, you should experience the same, really.

Anyway, the important thing is that the triangular profile makes for a much better grip, and that again translates to better brush control. 

And if you could fit one of those triangular rubber grips onto your brush, you should experience the same, really.

I should be possible to make a appropriately sized triangle grip out of green stuff to fit any brush.
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      Coincidentally, I had this figure very nearly done two days ago when the sad news of Diana Rigg’s passing was made public.

It always was a tribute to her incandescent portrayal of Emma Peel in the old British TV show “The Avengers”, but now it’s a memorial as well. Requiescas in pacem, Ms. Rigg.

The figure is “Pandora King (Classic)” from Crooked Dice miniatures. Crooked Dice has a minis game based on cult TV and they’ve produced a lot of different figures suitable for that sort of storytelling.

• By Pingo
      Happy birthday, @TheAuldGrump and @Inarah. I hope you enjoy this. Notes follow after the photos.

This is Grenadier’s Hippogriff, #138 from the Fantasy Lords series way back in 1983, now sold in lead-free pewter by Mirliton Miniatures, Italy. It’s well sculpted, with securely fitting wings.

I wanted to paint something different from the common hippogriff colorings, something with a little challenge to it. So I decided to go with several black and white patterned creatures. The front end is based on an osprey, the wings on a hoopoe’s, and the hindquarters on a zebra, all somewhat modified to suit the figure and to blend where the shifts happen.

Whenever you’re going to paint a chimeric model, a creature made up of the parts of other creatures, it’s a good idea to go look at real animals to see how their colors and feathers and skins look, and also how they blend into other things. If nothing else, there are excellent visual resources on the internet.

Technical notes:

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/squidmar/squidmar-kolinsky-miniature-paintbrush

Story
      In Squidmar Miniatures paintbrushes, the insight of accomplished painters, impeccable production quality, luxurious aesthetics and the finest Kolinsky Sable are all brought together to create an experience which combines style, comfort and practicality in equal measure.
        Our brushes feature a wide body (AKA the “belly”) while maintaining a sharp point. This allows a Squidmar Miniatures brush to hold more paint in its bristles without losing its point, and lends it the stability and elasticity needed to make the brush feel properly responsive to your movements. Additionally, this design allows you to use a larger brush than you might have normally to accomplish even finer details! The Tobolski Kolinsky hair is compared to Synthetics well rounded and great at keeping its original shape. Giving you a longer working time during paint jobs and lasts you longer keeping the tip pristine even after working on big projects for longer times.
      Squidmar Brushes - Size Comparison - Equivalent of approximately 00-2 (differs from brand to brand) Our basic brush set contains four Squidmar Miniatures brushes, ranging from XS to L. We chose these four because we feel they represent the most common, and best suited, brush sizes for miniature painting. In addition to our basic set, however, we've also designed a tiny brush, for the finest of details, and an XL brush for heavy duty paint jobs! Armed with a full set of Squidmar Miniatures brushes, you'll be ready to take on any painting project! No wargaming army is too massive, no immaculately detailed display miniature too exquisite!
      The brushes, from Tiny to Extra Large! Wow, those are some cool ferrules! Not only are the brushes wider, so are the handles! They are designed for comfort and ergonomics, adapted to the anatomy of the human hand.  The handles of Squidmar Miniatures brushes are therefore thicker and slightly triangular. This allows the brush to rest naturally in your hand, which lets you relax and focus on painting without risking the dreaded “painter’s cramp”. Oh, and did we mention the fancy gold ferrule? We thought it’d look cooler that way.
      Your brushes are the safest when they're guarded by an antediluvian squid-being! Our brushes ship in a sleek cylindrical storage case. The bottom of the case is lined with a dense storage foam to stick the brushes into. This allows a Squidmar Miniatures brush to rest standing up, and avoids having any pressure placed on the bristles themselves. An open storage case additionally serves as a handy paintbrush stand while sitting at your workstation, your entire collection standing at attention! Handy, right?
      Cool and practical in equal measure!   Not only are we Kickstarting world-class paintbrushes, we're also introducing a line of exquisite miniature busts, custom sculpted for our campaign! Each bust is incredibly detailed, imaginatively designed, and bursting with character - sculpted by such renowned artists as Joaqin Palacios and Leonardo Escobar Quintero! There are 5 of these resin cast miniatures in total at 1/10 scale, ranging from 6.5 centimeters to as large as 10 centimeters. The retail cost of these never-before seen miniatures will range from 45€ to 55€, but all will be exclusively available for 40€ each through this Kickstarter, or even cheaper when purchased in a bundle!
      These fantastic miniature busts are specifically designed to help you become a better painter, sculpted to enable you to practice (and master!) painting everything from warm, rugged skin to cold, gleaming metal! Don't worry, though, we're here to guide you through it. Each bust is accompanied by a YouTube video painting guide where expert painters demonstrate advanced techniques, made simple!
      Squidmar's Boxart of Illonth Magic in the making! The Squidmar Miniatures paintbrushes are hand-crafted to exacting specifications by experienced professionals, using only the highest quality materials and the finest Kolinsky Sable hair. The union of comfort and practicality in each brush is perfect for experienced painters working to master their craft, beginners who are brand new to miniature painting, and everyone in between! 
      This Kickstarter is a great opportunity to not only grab a set of fantastic paintbrushes but a set of beautiful miniature busts as well! These finely detailed miniature busts, bursting with character, will allow you to grow and develop as a painter. We'll be with you throughout your journey through our custom painting tutorials, where we'll do our best to guide you through a variety of advanced techniques.  
      Finally, a heartfelt thank you from our entire campaign for taking the time to read this, and we hope you pledge a contribution, no matter how small. Join us in our quest for the miniature paintbrush of our dreams!
    • By SparrowMarie
      So my niece is turning 13 next month. She already has a huge interest in minis and loves to paint with me. I'm trying to build her a kit or care package for her birthday so we can video chat and paint together. I'm at a loss as to what to put in it though. She has a ton of minis I gave her and a few brushes but I want to get her like a full starters kit of sorts (paint, better brushes, brush soap, etc.). I'm already considering the first LTPK. What would you put in it for someone just starting out?
    • By Pingo
      These are two copies of the Reaper Bones Large Earth Elemental 77185, sculpted by Kevin Williams.

I saw someone, I can’t recall who, paint up, it might have been one of these, like cooling lava which I thought was lovely, so I wanted to give it a try. I painted the lava version very quickly, in a few sessions: A layer of butter-yellow intensified with yellow glazing, then laying on pure black paint rather thickly, then some washes of Quinacridone Magenta and some fiddling with that and yellow on the gems.

The rock version I painted v-e-r-y slowly, in many layers over time, often with whatever paint was left on my palette from other paintings. I’m not sure when I started it, but since I haven’t painted any minis at all for the last year, it’s been some time.

I thought it interesting how very different a sculpt can look depending on how you paint it.

• Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 56 Guests (See full list)