Sign in to follow this  
ub3r_n3rd

SS Exchange "Surf & Turf" - Surfer Dude & Coral Mermaid

I love it, very imaginative!

Superb base!

Thank you!

OMG, I love it!!   :wub:

I showed it to my own little mermaid, and she exclaimed, "COOL!" She insisted I leave a comment, she loved the water and all the little sea creatures. ^_^

Thank you and thanks to your little mermaid! I'm happy she liked the water and the marine life ::D:

• Like 3

This is a fun idea and an awesome execution!

I'm really curious to know how you achieved the water effect. Especially to have it clear and straight at the edge of your display.
How do you do that?
Do you put tape around, pour resin and then remove said tape once it cured?

(I really want to try some stuff with water effect, but never had a chance to experiment much with it yet...)

• Like 1

This is a fun idea and an awesome execution!

I'm really curious to know how you achieved the water effect. Especially to have it clear and straight at the edge of your display.

How do you do that?

Do you put tape around, pour resin and then remove said tape once it cured?

(I really want to try some stuff with water effect, but never had a chance to experiment much with it yet...)

Thanks!

The water effect is achieved with using a 2-part epoxy resin such as "Easy Cast" - just Google it and you'll find many stores sell it such as Michael's (where you can buy it with a coupon).

Anyhow, I pretty much followed this tutorial from Reaper's "The Craft" and used some clear acrylic plastic bent it at the edges to form a tight seal, a thin layer of vaseline on the surface facing the epoxy pour, and then taped it tight along with clamping it tight to the sides. Just be careful that the seal is very good otherwise you'll experience leakage and a mess. I had a bit of a leak, but caught it fast enough that I didn't have too much of a mess to deal with. 

Highly recommend using the 2-part epoxies rather than the "realistic water" products that are out there. A few reasons: realistic water doesn't fully cure, it doesn't cure hard, doesn't hold its edge, and it experiences massive shrinkage where you would need 2+ pours to achieve the volume you want. Rather, do it 1 time with the 2-part epoxy, get the hard edge that doesn't shrink, and won't move or flow because it does cure very hard.

Great little critters. I like the surfer dude's board. Nice freehand!

Thanks! My first time sculpting critters like that and I haven't done much freehand in the past, but this was a fun project to try out a lot of different techniques. Happy you like it ::):

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 5

it really is awesome.  and looks even better in person!! I'm always afraid to try the thick resin pours, so this is a great example to follow!

• Like 4

it really is awesome.  and looks even better in person!! I'm always afraid to try the thick resin pours, so this is a great example to follow!

I'm so very happy you liked it. You are one of the best artists around here, so I really felt I needed to "up my game" for your vignette and give you something special.  ^_^

As far as thick resin pours, I wasn't too worried as it was (IIRC 2oz) and the directions state it can do up to 6oz per pour. I'm definitely going to be doing more water pours with this resin in the future. It was my first time using it, but very happy with how it came out in the end. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

That is a BEAUTIFUL creation...quite a change from your Barbarians. The Tidal Pool with all the various colorful, little critters is FANTASTICVERY WELL & IMAGINATIVELY DONE!

• Like 1

That is a BEAUTIFUL creation...quite a change from your Barbarians. The Tidal Pool with all the various colorful, little critters is FANTASTICVERY WELL & IMAGINATIVELY DONE!

Thank you very much, Mal!

It was quite the change from my normal stuff, but honestly, it was very fun, challenging, and refreshing to do something so different than my normal barbarians and blood stuff. Stepping out of ones "comfort zone" is a good way to help advance yourself as an artist as I found out.

• Like 3

Thanks Ub3r for the link to the tutorial.

The amount of work needed for this effect seems quite insane. But the result is so cool!
10x more "Awe" on the piece you achieved.

I'll have to find some random minis that would make sense underwater and try this out.

• Like 1

Thanks Ub3r for the link to the tutorial.

The amount of work needed for this effect seems quite insane. But the result is so cool!

10x more "Awe" on the piece you achieved.

I'll have to find some random minis that would make sense underwater and try this out.

You are very welcome ::):

Really, the basing wasn't too difficult. It's about making sure you set it up right and execute it. Make sure everything inside the water is done before you pour the resin and then let it sit for a few days to cure, meanwhile you can be working on other parts of it such as the figures outside of the diorama/vignette. 

All in all, I'd say I spent about 20-25 hours on this whole vignette. Once I got started on it, I got into a zone and enjoyed the experience.

I hope to see you try your hand at an elaborate base very soon, love seeing others' works ::D:

• Like 1

Nice to see my turtle got some use - that's the whole reason I throw those bits in the BoG, to see what people do with em... ::D:

Those close-up shots definitely show that I need to work on my turtle-making skills, though. However, my second try at it should be better since I do have smaller tools and better magnification now...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3