• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basing attempt one didn't go as planned.  So I'm scratching it in plans for option 2.  I made some progress on the sash/belt thingy.  Decided to go with gold trim and an attempted curved blade.  Trim came out ok.  Freehand blade not quite as well.  But I'll keep it.  Still need to work the back trim and freehand, as well as freehand on the other side.

Here is how she looks:

post-12625-0-56699100-1455591080.jpg

• Like 14

Finally made some progress.  Idea isn't coming out exactly like I had planned (not that I was expecting it to).  Put some epoxy down to shape how I want the over all shape to look.  I had hoped to find something that could mimic the look of the base but no luck.  So instead I just took a tooth brush and roughed it up some.  From there I plan to paint it up dirt like, then lay down some grass.  Not sure how well it shows in the second photo, but I channeled in stream flowing from the cork to the edge of the base.  I should show up better once I prime and paint it.

post-12625-0-21966700-1456800902.jpg

post-12625-0-04863500-1456800903.jpg

After the photo's I put some grit into the back side to fill in the holes and cover the lines between the cork layers.  Still need to add grit and stones to top and front to add interest before I prime it up.  

Any C&C will be appreciated, as basing is still very weak in my arsenal.

• Like 12

if trying to merge the mini base into your textured one... just take a thin layer of GS over the mini base and texture to match your version.   This will hide any seams where the two meet and also secure the mini tightly to the base once it is cured.

• Like 2

if trying to merge the mini base into your textured one... just take a thin layer of GS over the mini base and texture to match your version. This will hide any seams where the two meet and also secure the mini tightly to the base once it is cured.

Thanks, that's actually what I did with the grey stuff. Hard to tell from the photo.
  • Like 1

About 99% of the time now, I'll work on basing and minis separately so I have the freedom to move them around wherever I want to place them and so that I don't mess up the paint job on one or the other and have to do touch-ups, which is also why I clip the mini from their broccoli and attach with pins and super glue to the base afterwards.

I like the ideas you have here for a dirt/grass base with that small stream coming down. 

This mini has turned out looking REALLY nice, I like the SENMM you've done on her and that gold freehand that you did on her belts/ribbon things is awesome, very nice touch.

I'd suggest that you take some of the awesome basing classes at Reapercon this next time around as that'd help you really jump to the next level and put out super polished pieces, just keep practicing and taking chances with the basing.

looks great!

I envy you NMM.  I need to work on that majorly.. 

Overall very beautiful!

Only thoughts... her hair.. its less wowing than the rest of the mini. Maybe smoother transition with more glazes. .  A lot of it is the sculpt too though, this mini and other Mizes are problematic with hair...