• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About 99% of the time now, I'll work on basing and minis separately so I have the freedom to move them around wherever I want to place them and so that I don't mess up the paint job on one or the other and have to do touch-ups, which is also why I clip the mini from their broccoli and attach with pins and super glue to the base afterwards.

I like the ideas you have here for a dirt/grass base with that small stream coming down. 

This mini has turned out looking REALLY nice, I like the SENMM you've done on her and that gold freehand that you did on her belts/ribbon things is awesome, very nice touch.

I'd suggest that you take some of the awesome basing classes at Reapercon this next time around as that'd help you really jump to the next level and put out super polished pieces, just keep practicing and taking chances with the basing.

Thanks Ub3r,  I am in total agreement about removing the broccoli base.  In the future I will most definitely endeavor to do that where possible.  I took a basing class RCon, however at the time I had had little experience in creative basing.  So my take away was limited to my limited notes.  By this years, if I continue this way, I think I will probably get more out of them.  Time to experiment with clear 2-part epoxy to make the water effects for the down hill flowing water before I go out to buy some water effects.

looks great!

I envy you NMM.  I need to work on that majorly.. 

Overall very beautiful!

Only thoughts... her hair.. its less wowing than the rest of the mini. Maybe smoother transition with more glazes. .  A lot of it is the sculpt too though, this mini and other Mizes are problematic with hair...  

Thanks Fruggs, NMM was one of my primary focus points last year,  I feel it is finally starting to pay off.  I am in agreement that the hair needs to be glazed back down.  That is one of my current sticking points.  I get to the point where I know that glazing will really smooth out my transitions and take my blends to the next level.  But I want to be done and on to my next pretty mini.   Ahh well.  I will give her hair some glazing before final posting.  Its a good suggestion.

Thanks for the advice & comments, it is always appreciated.  No photo update today.  As all I've done it put down some more glue and grit.

About 99% of the time now, I'll work on basing and minis separately so I have the freedom to move them around wherever I want to place them and so that I don't mess up the paint job on one or the other and have to do touch-ups, which is also why I clip the mini from their broccoli and attach with pins and super glue to the base afterwards.

I like the ideas you have here for a dirt/grass base with that small stream coming down. 

This mini has turned out looking REALLY nice, I like the SENMM you've done on her and that gold freehand that you did on her belts/ribbon things is awesome, very nice touch.

I'd suggest that you take some of the awesome basing classes at Reapercon this next time around as that'd help you really jump to the next level and put out super polished pieces, just keep practicing and taking chances with the basing.

Thanks Ub3r,  I am in total agreement about removing the broccoli base.  In the future I will most definitely endeavor to do that where possible.  I took a basing class RCon, however at the time I had had little experience in creative basing.  So my take away was limited to my limited notes.  By this years, if I continue this way, I think I will probably get more out of them.  Time to experiment with clear 2-part epoxy to make the water effects for the down hill flowing water before I go out to buy some water effects.

I'm open to talk basing any time, my friend. Just let me know.

• Like 2

She's so pretty! Can't wait to see her all based up.

Thank you Tiniest, I will endeavor to not disappoint.  Oh and from you inspiration Caeke diorama I have conscripted a notebook to begin an diorama idea journal, thanks for that as well.

You're welcome. ;-) like Uber, Id be happy to talk basing with you.

• Like 2

Yes, well I've been working on this slowly over the past week.  My exchange mini has been getting my lions share of hobby time, but I have been endeavoring to get work on Rasia.

Here is where I stand with Rasia.  From the point of view I feel best show where I plan to put the stream.  I still need to add the greenery and water effects, but she is coming along.

post-12625-0-97542200-1457493676.jpg

• Like 13

Wow, I guess I'm in the proper house.  I have finally gotten around to almost finishing her base work.  I think it still need more water in the stream.  But I wonder if I've put too much grass down.  Opinions?

post-12625-0-93580400-1460075840.jpg

This is probably the final post before posting to show off.  Hopefully tomorrow if or Sat.  

• Like 7

Grass looks fine, the stream though could use a bit more oomph to draw the eye.  Perhaps it's just the angle of the photo, but it took me a bit to even see the stream, after knowing it was there.  Looks amazing though!  I think I would've pictured her in a more arid environment though.

• Like 1

I'd trim the grass a bit so you can see the stream, don't be afraid to also add some dark green washes to the recesses of the grass and highlight the edges/tops of the grass stalks. A trick that Michael Proctor told me about to make tuft "vegetation" look better.

• Like 2