• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By dks
      I've finished another project that was on my to-do list for years.
      First the pics, then some more words:

This was a special resin figure from ReaperCon 2014 (April 24-27 that year) -- sculpted by Bobby Jackson, given to attendees who paid extra for the Artist Banquet on Saturday night. 
      I was supposed to paint him for Reaper's studio collection after the con, but I got distracted with other stuff and he fell off my list.
      He had the SKU 01529 for a while, and although he is out of production now, his clone will be back soon in Bones 5 as part of the "Dreadmere Personas" Core Set extra.  I'll try to remember to revise the tags of this post when he has a new 77xxx or 78xxx number.
      Ian Markon (Kuro Cleanbrush) painted a spectacular rendition in 2015 as "Knight of the Blood Moon", with red armor and wings.  You can find it here on the Forum by searching for "01529".

So far in 2021, I've been finishing some figures left over from years past ... and getting points in the Reaper Challenge League for it.
      This guy earned 3 points for the April theme of "No More Sunrises" (vampires and other nocturnal or subterranean monsters). 

I couldn't decide on a color scheme so I started painting a cool grey monochrome as if he were in moonlight. 
      I was going to add a warm light from behind, too, but I just kept going with the cool monochrome all around. 
      I concentrated on the differences in contrast and texture among the materials: armor plates and trim, cloak exterior and interior, sword (blade, crossguard, pommel, hilt), gems, skin, hair, teeth, stone steps, skull, etc.

I spent extra time on the face, as always, such as getting the blends very smooth. 
      The eyes are sculpted very large, which gave me freedom to manipulate the expression.  I painted the upper lids a fraction of a millimeter lower, to get just the right half-lidded look.
      And in order to make him seem more feral, I painted his scleras darker and irises lighter.  I did this a few years ago on a half-orc Pathfinder figure I painted (Skreed Gorewillow).

The specific colors were Blue Liner ("black"), the cold grey triad (9172 Stormcover Grey, 9173 Coldstone Grey, and 9174 Icy Grey, now out of production), Misty Grey, and Pure White.
      The blending was somewhat challenging, because the greys changed value from wet to dry!  Stormcover Grey dries a little lighter, and Icy Grey and Misty Grey dry a little darker.  On the back of the cloak, for example, I would see a spot where I wanted to deepen the shadow, and Stormcover Grey looked perfect while wet, but then it would dry lighter and the "shadow" disappeared!  So I had to add Blue Liner to the Stormcover Grey, and trusted that what looked too dark at first would look right when dry.  This phenomenon made it fun to paint little streaks of Stormcover Grey on the interior of the cloak or the sword blade, because the streak would go on invisible over the black, but then appear grey as it dried a few seconds later.

Enjoy!

Derek
    • By MoonglowMinis
      Alright.  So I want to share some old skeletons with you to both show off some of my older paintjobs, and to reflect on my growth over the past two and a half years.  An what better way to show off my growth in Bones, than with bones?

More Below Spoiler:

I am not a fan of repainting old models or painting another copy of something I've already painted.  I have so many minis in my collection that I'd rather keep moving forward.
      That said, I love painting similar things.  It's a great opportunity to reflect on your past projects and to compare where you started to where you've come.

I'd love to see some before and after photos of some of your works!
    • By MoonglowMinis
      So this past February, I got around to painting up these Bog Skeletons.  I was in need of more swamp zombies for Rangers of Shadow Deep and had these guys laying around and figured it was the perfect excuse for painting them.  Though I am a big fan of bog-bodies, I decided to lean more into a swampy look.  I figured they could be a bit more colorful and I got a strong vision of a green-tone horde of skellies.  Plus bogs are notorious for preserving bodies and these guys missing quite a bit of their flesh, organs, and hair.

More Below the Spoiler:

I had a lot of fun working on these guys.  They're very colorful despite being monochromatic and I think they're among some of my best work.  I tried out new techniques and pushed my skills.  In the end I have a group of evocative minis that really imply a setting beyond the limits of their bases.  I couldn't be prouder of these bone-boys.

I also recently shared some photos of some of my earlier attempts at painting skeletons.  It was really fun looking back at where I started - especially since these models are very similar to the Skeleton Guardians.  You can check out my old skeletons in the Show-Off post HERE.
    • By Brianuk
      I have put together a warband, mainly Reaper models, for use in Saga Age of Magic, Frostgrave, Oathmark etc. 
      The winged vampires were quite simple to paint. Primed with Israeli grey from Vallejo, then drybrushed with Rakarth flesh and Pallid Wych flesh. Then a wash of carroburg crimson and a highlight with Pallid Wych Flesh. 

The armoured vampires are mainly crimson knights from Reaper with a couple of head swaps but mostly straight and un-kitbashed. They were primed with Vallejo red brown then I used contrast flesh tearers red and a bunch of washes for the armour. 

I enjoyed painting these and the next step is to add some more winged vampires/succubi, and some mounted vampire knights. 

• By Rigel
      Siobhana (03150) is one hell of a femme fatale in the Morticia Addams line. Zaftig and haughty, scornful and entitled. I wish I had gotten better lighting; her pale skin isn't great at showing contrast,
      She comes with a half-broken pillar of some solar celestial (a Pathfinder relic? it looks like it would fit with their iconic Cleric) and also a batlike grotesque. I think the Vorvorlaka (77631) represents another stage in that  gargoyle vargouille life cycle. The sexy vampire lady and the horrible batlike monstrosities make for a good Hammer Horror aesthetic.

Further experiments with tight-clinging fabrics. Please give me your tips and constructive criticism; I feel sure I can do better with sheer fabrics but am not sure what to focus on. C&C welcome!

• Who's Online   4 Members, 1 Anonymous, 90 Guests (See full list)