Sign in to follow this  
EvilJames

Gen Con 2016

Gen Con Badges go up today and Hotel shenanigans begin on Sunday!

Who's all planning to go so far?

The wife and I will be there. (assuming hotel shenanigans can be convinced to go our way again this year.)

Edited by EvilJames

I got my badge and my brother got his.  I think our group is going to be 7 strong this year.  I need to secure two hotel rooms preferably at the same hotel.  Wish me luck.

• Like 1

Nope. ReaperCon for me this year. GenCon will have to continue to wait.

Someday I hope to go to that, but the distance and the change of date makes it difficult for now. :down:

I'll be at Star Trek 50 in Vegas.. sigh.. there are 3 things that weekend I wanted to go to this year since I wasn't going to Pennsic War.. 

Oof tough choice. I am curious as to what your third option was. At any rate Star Trek 50 is probably a good choice.

Third option is the local Celtic festival..  I'll also be out of town for Origins this year (Thanks SCA 50 year).. so there's really no gaming cons for me this summer

We're throwing a party at ST50, the rest of the time we'll just be on vacation...

I have been going regularly for 4 or 5 years in a row. This year I'm a bit on the fence about the whole thing. 

We'll see.

Nope.

If they prove this year that a person can actually get in and get a downtown room without too much bovine feces, then maybe for next year.

But after all the malarkey that friends of mine have faced trying to secure a room, and the stupendous levels of price gouging involved in trying to secure an off-block room? No way, Jose. I'll contemplate Origins and Reapercon, but Gencon is off the list until the housing situation is no longer intolerable - or some gaming company wants me to rep for them, and is willing to comp a dealer's badge and a bed in a hotel.

• Like 1

Downtown rooms will continue to be hard to get: GenCon has gotten popular enough that demand for downtown rooms far outstrips supply.  The hotels are charging corresponding prices: what the market will bear.  Yay capitalism.  ::P:

I'll be there again this year, but I'm not looking forward to the housing stress.  I'll be teaching my "Beginning Painter's Toolkit" and "Step by Step Beginning Painting" classes again.

GenCon has gotten more crowded than I would like, and fewer of my painting friends will be there.  But, GenCon is also the only time that I get to see my best friends from college, so I'm still happy to go.

Ron

• Like 5

Gotta say, that since downtown hotels charge you per day as much or more as it does to park at a structure, we found it to be easier to get a room away from downtown last year. Granted, we are getting old enough that once we are tired and done for the day, we rather go back to the hotel and rest and sleep and not stay up all night playing more games.

• Like 5

Amazing Hawaii Comic Con looms, as well...because I can't get a plane ticket in time for Gen Con.

• Like 1

Woohoo! It's helpful to be a posse of 4. My brother drew an early time, so we have a room at the JW Marriot. Now to sign up to run another miniatures game, since I'm close. ::):

• Like 2

Got our hotel. 2 blocks away from the center. Same hotel as last year which we liked very much. Only 3 of our group were able to get together to try for the hotel, but my brother in law got in at 15 minutes and was able to make the reservation no problem. my time would have been 1 hour and my wife's time would have been 2 hours so it worked out. Definitely fewer issues this year than last. I will be doing my wednsday night Serpintine lobby painting if anyone wishes to join again this year.

Edited by EvilJames

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this