28mm Astronomer-Wizard

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooo! Very nice!

You've done a great job on all the little details and I'm loving the smoothness you've given the colours of his robes/gown.

Because of your work I'm putting this mini on my own Reaper want list.

That is... extremely clean! Not a single stroke out of place.

How did you do the writing on the book? Even with my smallest brush, whenever I try to do "writing scribbles" they turn out as rather large blobs. I mean, they -pass- as writing, but look nothing as awesome as your book.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the generous comments folks.

Jartyth - the things to get right for small work like that is to have an excellent brush with a really good point (mine for such work is a W&N series 7 000) and to make sure the paint is very mobile but not too wet. I never do such work at the start of a session, only once I've got my hand in. I think quite a bit of it is having practice and having built the muscle memory over time to get good control. It might also help to put a layer of gloss varnish on first, to reduce brush drag and so maybe make it a bit easier.

• Like 2

mine for such work is a W&N series 7 000

Same brush I use actually! When I started painting Mini's I picked up a 1, 0 and a 000. They really are fantastic burshes.

It might also help to put a layer of gloss varnish on first, to reduce brush drag and so maybe make it a bit easier.

Now thats a pretty awesome tip right there.

That tip might have helped with my most recent writing attempt paint job. (In which I also tried to do a magical text blending effect where the words get lighter as they're read. Not sure if that comes off that way in reality. I also had tried Object Source Lighting from the text to his hat/arm/beard, but failed terribly and undid it all).

Thank you for the answer!

Thanks again for the compliments everyone.

Limey 72 - I used one of the Reaper purple triads and used some other deep purple, at one extreme, and white at the other, to extend their range. I'm away from home for a few days - when get back I'll give you a more precise answer ;-)