need advice on highlighting metallic blue

Guildenstern

These are for my youngest son's birthday at the end of the week so I'm trying to get them finished up to table top at least, fairly quickly. I'm trying to come up with a theme that works - he wants them to be blue. Now the traditional scheme for these is silver with some trim etc in an alt colour. Ok, I have blue metallic paint, which I'm trying to decide where to put exactly. But the issue I really have with it, is how to highlight it? It's really dark! This is vallejo gunmetal blue. I tried to add some different blues to a silver paint but really didn't like it. I do like this blue very much, but as I said, it's really dark and I'm having trouble. Would you add white to make it lighter? Silver? I figure the final highlight should be silver (to help join the colours together since the rest of the metal bits will aslo be highlighted silver), but the intermediate colour, that's the issue... Anyway, bad pic for WIP view (really hard to photograph unfortunately, it looks almost black but Iassure it's actually dark blue)

post-14692-0-43786000-1453665486_thumb.jpg

Also I should point out, I'm not going to paint the head blue in future ones, I really didn't like it, it's too much/too dark, something.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help!

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely add silver rather than white to your gunmetal blue as it has metallic qualities. Just keep adding small amounts of it to your base coat of blue & gradually build up your highlights over several layers to a final highlight of silver.

Or, alternatively, you could paint the mini with a dark silver base coat, followed by a black (or maybe even blue?) shading wash, finishing with some lighter silver highlights. Then give the silver parts of the mini a carefully & thinly painted on blue glaze (such as GW's Guilliman Blue) to give it a blue tint. I have used this method on weapons before & it looks pretty good (if I do say so myself ^_^).

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Is that just the head and joints that are painted in that Blue? Wow. umm. If I was trying to get that look I'd start with a metallic silver\metal that's not super white as the base coat. Wash with a dark blue paint, not metallic, (Paint+lots of water) then highlight up to the base and the line with a really bright silver.

If you want to use the paint you've got used it as a shade only as it's really too dark to be a base. If you use a wet pallet start off with a base iron\steel. Then mix a 50%-%50 of the blue and your base then paint down to your full blue color. From there you can highlight all the gray metals as normal. Doing a metal that duller then the non-blue parts will really make it work for the color you're using as opposed to going with a bright silver.

Thanks guys! I'm going to have to play with it some I did one with a blue wash, which I didn't bother posting because it just didn't show up in the picture at all (weirdly). I didn't think about using that blue as a shade or wash that might be interesting as well. Anyway, have to see how it goes! will keep you posted :D

Or, alternatively, you could paint the mini with a dark silver base coat, followed by a black (or maybe even blue?) shading wash, finishing with some lighter silver highlights. Then give the silver parts of the mini a carefully & thinly painted on blue glaze (such as GW's Guilliman Blue) to give it a blue tint. I have used this method on weapons before & it looks pretty good (if I do say so myself ^_^).

This is exactly what I did to get blue armour on some of my Galaxy Defenders minis (except I couldn't be bothered being careful with the glaze).  It's a quick way to get tabletop quality without lots of work and lots of time.  Example below:

DSC04957.jpg

• Like 4