Bones and Vinegar

maxstyles

A few months ago I had a professional house painter friend of mine help me with painting some galvanized metal because my prime was easily scraping off.  He told me to wash the panels with white vinegar because it makes the surface take the paint.  It worked great... 

Fast forward a few months.  At a paint and take I ran this weekend my painters were having a terrible time laying down the first coat.  It was very frustrating for them even though I kept telling them that it was really fun and relaxing hobby.  :)

Last night I starting wondering if the vinegar trick would work on bones, so I tried it with a few miniatures left over from my paint and take.  I just got a bowl, poured in some white vinegar and submerged the test subjects.  After about a minute I removed them and rinsed them in plain water.  After drying them off with a towel, I tested the paint on them.  It worked like magic.  I only tried two of them so I might have just gotten lucky with two that were not bad anyway.  I'll some more testing tonight but I thought I would open it up for a larger test group.  Go test and report back your results.

• Like 9

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As vinegar is slightly acidic it VERY slightly etches metal, for lack of a better word, making the surface a little rougher so paint sticks better.  Not sure why it would work with bones, except as a good washing solution.  But you may find that Bonesium dissolves in vinegar as well.  Best to do a longer-term experiment, say a few days to a month, and of course make sure the Bonesium is ....sorry, um...bone dry before painting.

• Like 6

@Blackhawk - nope.  There was no thinning of the paint.

@Peithetairos - I can't speak to the metal casts and I have not tried any bones modified with green stuff.  I will add some green stuff to the vinegar test.

So I dropped a test bone in some vinegar a few days ago to see if it will damage the fig in anyway.  The plan is to leave it there for a month an see if any damage happens.

I'll report back

• Like 1

That is an interesting way to clean your miniatures. I presume modern metal casts will be alright as theu do not contain lead?

did you try it on a miniature with greenstuff bits added? Will the vinegar attack it?

Modern metal minis do have lead, but it is a small amount. I would not drop any metal mini in vinegar.

• Like 1